Why don't local promoters take safety seriously??

In hopes of calming down from the forty five minute drive home, I really need to vent. Talking to the track promoter of HBR at the end of last years season, they told me that kid flat karts and cage karts would not run together. Anyone who knows me knows this has been a pet peeve of mine in the past. After paying our pit passes we registered the two karts we were running tonight. We asked the track worker, old lady, at signups twice if flat karts and cages in junior one would be running together. And she replied, no, they were seperate. After bolting on a ridiculous amount of weight, we go to hot lap lineup. Before taking the track, we see the lineup posted only to see two in our sons class and seeing one is a cage kart. We bring this to Houge's attention, only to be told that is the way they have always ran them. We pulled our sons kart from competition and the second kart signed up. Went to get our money back; andwas told we could only have the entry fees back. So the shoestring budgeted kart team is now out $29. But would have never had of went had they told us ahead of time, but they told us they ran seperate. After seeing some of the "karts" and safety issues, I guess the cost of $29 is worth the price of seeing the chance of one of my drivers injured. Only the bad part of the night, was seeing the disappointment on my son and wifes face when told they couldn't run. So, to the owners and their incompatent staff, you enjoy that $29 and an apology to the team would be nice. Hopefully running an open wheeled cage kart against a flat kart doesn't get anyone killed there.

Ray Kowalik
618-925-1160

Back