Federated Auto Parts @ I-55 2018 classes announced for I-55

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Pevely, Mo.
Promoters, Ray Marler & Ken Schrader of Federated Auto Parts I-55 Raceways 1/3 mile dirt track will once again kick off the 2018 racing season with full program of competition for all racing fans, and are happy to announce the classes running next season.
The full slate UMP DIRTcar classes are on tap for the 2018 racing season including:
The high horsepower, ground shaking Super Late Models
Always exciting, extremely competitive Modifieds
Ever growing Pro-Modified class
The Sportsman class will again return to the high banks of Federated Auto Parts I-55 Raceway to continue their traditional and affordable competition.
Finally, The Sport Compact (Pro-4) class will be re- joining the racing program next season.
A complete schedule is still being worked out, and will be released as soon as possible.

It's more than 100 miles. The only other tracks that I know of is Macon and I do think Lincoln.

Farmington super street class is similar. Central Illinois sportsman are pretty different rules.

Although the sportsman class isn’t nearly what it used to be, I’m glad they are still keeping us. The car counts for sportsman were fairly consistent this year. We will be back to support next season.

The 4-link cars from I-55 are legal to race at Farmington with the super street class. The 3-link cars are not. I tried like hell, there is nowhere else close to race when I-55 isn’t.

Farmington is the only place with similar rules. You go east and what tracks over there call sportsman are much more wide open with their motor rules.

Like I said I would like to see this division make a comeback. Not all that long ago they were getting 30+ per night and the Ump national Champion came from Allied and I55. Also , I think its a great feeder division for the Bmods. It gives Street stock and 4cyl guys a smaller step then jumping right off into a bmod. It gives them a chance to learn weight jacks, pull bars if they run 3 link, and other suspension adjusting. I think every track needs a class ladder that isn't to high of a step between. Hopefully with I55 showing they are dedicated to the class some guys won't fear joining it then getting dumped. jmo

Last edited:
I am just a fan, and with all due respect to the sportsman guys that support I-55, I don't understand why in the world they would not replace them with Street Stocks. Four other fairly close tracks have them, and also especially since Sportsman and B-mod are simliar in skill level. It would seem to me that Street Stocks would be a better V-8 stepping stone to B mods or higher also.

The thing about street stocks is they don't race for enough $$ for guys who live up around the tri city highland area to justify the drive to i55. I55 battled that scenario when they had street stocks several years ago. If you pay attention the street stock class at Belleville,Tcs and Highland, most of their racers are from the general vicinity. If I55 had them they would have to go a year or so having them and getting meager car counts till it grew. They already have the sportsman and have for years. But I disagree I think sportsman to bmod is a much easier jump than street stock. I went from SS to bmod and its a world of difference. jmo

i like sportsman but its a dying class nobody is building new sportsman cars because there is only one track to race at and the class wont be here in a couple years unless a miracle happens. they need a real bomber class that is affordable

Swappin Paint....I think you misunderstand me. I agree with you that going from Sportsman to a B mod is an easier move. Of course it is, it's a lateral move for the most part. The lap times are very similar. But what about the guy that wants to start out in racing at i55. He has to drive a front wheel drive 4 cylinder which teaches you little about rear wheel drive suspension and v-8 motors or start out in B-mod or Sportman. thats a hell of jump an expense for a first try. Bombers or street stocks is better cheaper place to start and I also disagree about those guys traveling. Yes some of them are local to each track but I have seen a lot of the better street stock guys as far out as Brownstown as well as Highland, Tri City and Belle claire. Don't tell me that some of them would not come to run at i-55. I would in fact wager that a newly created Street Stock class at i-55 would average more cars per week by mid season in the first season then the current sportsman. Just my two cents.

Drop sportsman for street stocks? Can you tell me how many street stocks showed up to the 1,000 to win show at Tri-City just a few weeks ago? Or their weekly car counts at the other tracks?

Rodney, Thats a fair statement as they certainly didn't have a great turnout for that, but when all the other tracks in the area (except St Francois) don't run sportsman but do run Street Stocks are they all wrong?

1st off I've drove street stocks for several years and would love to see them at I55.But they had them there 5-6 yrs ago and couldn't get 10. That was back when TCS, Highland and Belleville were all running them and had decent car counts. Much better than they have now. Why the SS racers didn't come then I dunno. Could only assume what the class pays doesn't justify the haul from north of STL to I55 every week. The street stock class in the STL area as a whole has dwindle also in the last few years. As far as Brownstown they had a few guys from TCS,Bville and Highland run up there. Not enough to float the class.

With what the SS class pays $150-$200 to win Most tracks that have the class. It is made up of racers in the vicinity of the track. Yeah some pop in here and there from other areas. But pop ins don't carry the class.

So If I55 was gonna have them, they would have to announce they were going to have them and be dedicated to building it. Be willing to pay the payout for how ever long it takes to build the class up to justifiable numbers to make it beneficial. They would need 15+ and the weekly 1-3 that pop in a few times a year. I would love for them to. Not arguing against it.

Excellent points being made! I love the sportsman class and was sad to see it go byebye. We had 30 plus at tcs when i started and 25 plus at godfrey. But when they went to three links and set back cages then let stub cars in kind of made the class go crazy and people jist gave up. Not to mention some really good motors being built......not saying they were illegal but on the restarts it was obvious something was going on with the holeshots and pulling people on the straights. People just got tired of running for 300 and spending stupid amount of money to just keep up. Street stocks have been going in that direction and if noone does something about those rules im afraid same thing may happen. As was stated a 1000 to win show and i think only 10-12 showed up is not good.

The first couple of years when the b mods started in the area they did allow them to do that. Now it is against the rules.

Drop sportsman for street stocks? Can you tell me how many street stocks showed up to the 1,000 to win show at Tri-City just a few weeks ago? Or their weekly car counts at the other tracks?
10 showed up! But I believe there would have been more if Tri City would have done what they said theu was going to do! Theu said at the rules meeting in January that as the year went on they would be releasing rules so cars from other tracks could run that event....i never heard or seen a rule one released!

Back