aftermarket bodies?

pwracing

The rules state aftermarket bodies are ok. Then why are people being harrassed about their vehicle being illegal if they got an aftermarket body on their car? Can you tell me that Derek?

aftermarket bodies

In the same line of the rulebook where it says aftermarket bodies allowed, it also says "MUST BE STOCK APPEARING". Flat sides, squared off of the interior in no way looks like a camaro. I called the guy whose car we are talking about on Tuesday and told him it needed to be changed. Of course he was aggravated, but he called me back on Wednesday and said that since I mentioned it, he seen what I meant. Anyway, he fixed it, not a big deal.

Remember guys READ THE RULES, stock appearing means that it must at least resemble a stock car. Just because some "racing body" catalog calls it stock, doesn't mean it is.
Thanks, DEREK

You miss the point here. Must remain stock appearing is listed after not chopping or squaring off. Then you go on to say aftermarket bodies ok. The first name people think of in that situation is Performance Bodies. They don't make a body that resembles exactly a camaro, although they do sell one. The rule is stupid and left up to interpretation. If a Performance Bodies kit is not leagal, then you would have to assume that aftermarket body panels are not ok and therefore people are going out and spending good money on stuff that you are going to pick apart. I personally have no problem with anyone running them, don't see it as a performance advantage, but could cause lots of problems the way it reads. These people already got their paint on and their sponsors on the vehicle. It would be a shame if you are going to make them modify their bodies to comply with such a rule as this. And by saying these people, I don't mean anybody in particular, I mean the pure street class as a whole. How many other people have done the same thing and will be told they are illegal when they show up for play day. This is not trying to take advantage of the rules, merely following them as the seem to read. I want to see this class prosper, especially after the demise of the sportsman class. Hate to see the car count suffer because we are going to split hairs on such a situation as this.

We also want to see this class prosper, and that is precisely why the rules have to be followed. Letting racers get by with little things like this is why there is no more sportsman cars around here. If you give a racer an inch he will take a mile, and eventually price himself right out of a class. The pure streets are out of hand now, the only thing left to make them a pure street is the "STOCK APPEARING BODY". You cannot just pick out the part of the rule that you want to follow, you must follow the entire rule.
DEREK

Let me just say first off, that I have no dog in this fight. Just to be clear, I don't own, drive, or work on a car. That said, I agree with Derek that if you give a racer an inch, they'll take a mile. BUT, having an ambiguity in the rules is like giving a racer a foot. My suggestion is to take another look at the rules and tighten up anything that is unclear or apparently in conflict. Easier said than done, I realize, with the season only a few weeks away since cars are already built, as pwracing notes. Just food for thought.

Body Panels

I never could figure out why aluminum body panels and fenders couldn't be stamped out like original restoration parts.Maybe too costly? But aleast you'd be able to tell what kind of car it was then and would actually be stock appearing.:confused:

I am not picking out the part of the rule I want to follow. Either they are leagal or they are not! That is as simple as it gets. The rule is too vague. Aftermarket bodies are ok, that is what is says. If one wnats to put a BUT on that then they should do so. No set of rules is ever perfect, lets just get it straihtened out and go on with life. Threatening to not let people even get their vehicle off the trailer if they show up isn't exactly a warm welcome to the track.

I am seeing more and more aftermarket bodies all of the time.
Some of theses plastic surgeons are getting really good at it and they look more and more natural then ever. It is hard to tell "home grown" from "store bought".

What are you going to let run? Is a camaro body from performance bodies going to be allowed or not? I have already got one on my car with graphics, numbers and sponsers put on. I personally liked the idea of a aftermarket body, even if they dont look exactly like the original. For the price of the kit and the time they save they are worth every penny. If you are trying to keep the 100% stock look you should have thought about that before you made the rule that aftermarket bodies will be allowed.

Hey Bdelzero

I Got The Camaro Body On Are Car That Came From Performace Body They Are Allowed Make Sure Its Not To Flat Sided The Back Of Are Car Was In Question Derick Did Call Me About It Changed A Few Things Diff And It Will Be Ok.you Might Want To Check With Them Though To Make Sure Put The Key Word Was Stock Apperring Thing That Caught Us Of Gaurd.

What all did he want you to change? I would like to know so when I get to the track someone dont come and tell me i cant run because my body aint right. I like the rule about aftermarket bodies but i was wondering how long it would be before some Jacka#$ would start throwing a fit about it.

Thanks
David

I have a question...why are aftermarket bodies allowed in the first place? Not trying to be a smart *** or stir up trouble, but this class is getting to be less and less "pure". The whole "bondo breaking off on the track, busting tires" thing came up in a previous conversation I had about this, but are there other reasons?

Yes, there are other reasons. Some people don't have access to the old camaros (and monte's and chevelle's, etc.) that you and I may have. These old cars are getting hard to find. I don't care how you get, where you get it from, or what it is made of, as long as the body is stock appearing. If you look at my other post on body rules clarification, I explain the reason there. We have already discussed that the body appearance is the only thing "stock" about these cars anymore.

By the way David "dblzero", the same Jack#$# who is throwing a fit about these bodies is the JA who will be inspecting your and everyone else's cars. And the one who decides if something is right by the rules or ILLEGAL!

DEREK

We have already discussed that the body appearance is the only thing "stock" about these cars anymore.

DEREK[/quote]

Sad but true, thanks for the clarification.

Camaros Are Scarce As Hens Teeth. Even The Metric Cars Are Getting Tough To Find. They Aren't A Dime A Dozen Anymore Like They Used To Be.

MAYBE YOU GUYS COULD MAKE SOME TEMPLETS AND PASS THEM AROUND.HA HA HA:eek:

Derek, why don't you just do some investigating on what is out there and make a list of approved bodies for the class. Treat it like the bats in a softball leaque. You can run x, y, and z company bodies and they have to be in factory condition. I think that is the only way you're gonna solve this issue...

That is one of the best ideas i have heard so far for fixing this little problem. That would take all the guesswork out of it. If you have brand x,y or z you wont have to worry about anything if you didnt touch them. Pull them out of the box put them on the car and go racing no questions asked!!!!!!!!!

I found the following in a set of rules for a street stock class that allowed aftermarket bodies. Thought it might help with some suggestions on how to clarify "stock appearing", and for a fair way to handle aftermarket versus factory OEM stuff.;)

e. Aftermarket stock appearing steel or aluminum body is allowed with stock appearing nose piece and rear bumper cover and a weight penalty of 100 pounds. The factory stock floor pans, front and rear firewalls and rear seat shelf must remain intact.

Performance Bodies and Five Star Bodies old or new allowed.

1) Aftermarket body dimensions are as follows (diagram in back)

Center front hub to tip of nose piece – Maximum of 45”

Top roof height – Minimum of 47”

Roof rake (front to back) – Maximum of 2”

Center of car width – Maximum of 74”

Rear of car width – Maximum of 72”

Center rear wheel to rear of quarter panel – Maximum of 45”

Window opening – Minimum of 12”

Rear deck height – Maximum of 37”

Roof Panels must match Body Style dimensions as described by aftermarket manufacturer.

f. No flat sided cars or flat roofs (must maintain creases and appear stock)

g. Must use front and rear template bumper covers

h. Roof must remain in the center of the race car

i. Any car with an aftermarket body must declare chassis (make, model and year) at the initial inspection and must follow all rules for that chassis with the only exception allowed being that of the aftermarket body.

Back