Are pocket bikes street legal?

racingfan03

anyone know if the 49cc pocket bikes are street legal if they have blinkers, tail light, and a headlight?

I've been told that because they are less that 50cc's that they could be ridden on the street similar to a moped as long as the normal traffic and helmet laws were followed. This is even if you don't have a motorcycle endorsment. Heard this from several different police officers unless I misunderstood them everytime they spoke. But with me that is completely possible! LOL!

BTW, depending on where you live there may be some local city ordinances that prohibit the use of these vehicles on city owned streets.

I thought the same thing. I'm up in Macomb at school, and it would be perfect for getting across campus. I know you have to license, title, and insure them thought too.

No they are not street legal, everybody advertises no license required and thats because the states will not title or license anything 50 cc and under, But most cops and munincipalities just look the other way if your on a moped or Vespa type scooter and have a helmet on, but ya better have an insurance card if they do pull ya over.. Pocket bikes do not fall into the moped or Vespa category and most cops will get ya if your on the street with it, and besides it's too darned small to safley be on the street with anyway.......
By the way I do have pocket bikes for sale $350 + tax......314 821 4356

Guess you'll have to come down here and tell the State Trooper and County Deputies in Ste. Genevieve that they aren't legal then. They seem to think they do fall into the moped category.

Hell, there's a whole gang of them in the City of Ste. Genevieve! Not uncommon to see 8 to 10 of them driving around like idiots in town. Just waiting to get called to scrape one of them off the road! LOL

There is a difference between these $350 pocket bikes, and what I will call "legitimate" pocket bikes. Real pocket bikes are raced across Europe, are fully street legal with blinkers, lights, titles, licence plates etc. What you see at the local autozone, etc, are replica pocket bikes, and are not street legal. I have seen one or two around here being ridden on the street that are genuine pocketbikes, and street legal, and I have seen a lot of the minibike replica ones not being ridden on the streets around here too. Both look like a lot of fun, but I have only ridden one in Europe.

I need one that has blinkers, brake lights, and headlights. I also need a point of origin so that I could get it titled...

Pocket bikes and scooters (under 50cc) fall into the same classification as mopeds, which in the eyes of the law are not even considerd motor vehicles, but motorized bicycles (a subtle, but important difference).

You do not need an operators licence, or plates, or helmets, but you are required to follow the traffic rules for bicycles on public roads.

Info straight from a Jeffco Deputy. Be aware that certain cities may have local ordinaces regulating them. ask you doctor if pocket bikes are right for you.

Tim

First of all, you need to see where you are getting advise from. This website covers several states and what is legal in one state may not be legal in another state. You address lists Illinois so stick with Illinois law and not Missouri. I cannot tell you if they are legal or not, but I can tell you what it generally takes to be legal in Illinois. You must have a title for the bike regardless if it is licensed or legal in the street. Yes, in Illinois even dirt bikes and ATVs must be titled. Then you have to look at whether the bike was manufactured for highway use. It might say on the bike or it may say it on the title. If it was not manufactured for highway use, then you cannot get it licensed. If it was, then you will be able to have it licensed assuming that all the safety requirements are met. There is no minimum cc limit in Illinois with the exception of the interstate. You basically need to check with the Secretary of State as they will have the last word. One final note, after riding motorcycles for over twenty years I can say that you would have to be an idiot to even consider taking one of those things in traffic. Most motorcycle accidents occur because the other driver does not see the motorcyclist. I have been run off the road many times. Now make yourself even smaller and harder to see driving in traffic on an underpowered difficult to handle bike and you make yourself a prime candidate for an organ donor. Several manufacturers such as Honda make 50cc scooters that are normal sized and would be much safer but still allow you to zip around campus. Just my opinion.

on campus may not be bad but in regular trafic heck can you say pancake???? donor body organs should be filling the shelve soon:) motocycles are hard enough to see.... give it a year and they will "prolly" be outlawed on streets is all states:) hey Q you work for St gen. I got a Buddy that a cop there he work in the processing center? where they hold prisoners? that sound right?

Back