bedrock

20racer

20racer
i would like to know everyones thoughts on bedrock being a burris only tire track. frank was been asked to consider this from mike burris. everything from burris would be passed on to the racers.there would be discounts on tires,and we would received a lot of products to kick back to the racers at the end of the year banquet. thanks

It wouldn't matter to me because I only have Burris tires. I think it would hurt the track though. There are some that race there that don't run Burris tires and they might decide to run somewhere else. Does he have to make a decision soon or can it wait for the meeting in January?

Personally I think that Frank would be shooting himself in the foot if he goes Burris only. The Burris Series last summer did not impress me with Kart turnout or what you got out of running the series.

tire rule

I feel a tire rule is a good thing. All karts would be on same tires, so it
goes back to chassis set-up and not who has the best supply of tires.
I have all makes and some nights some work better, but we have had good
luck with all. If burris gives the track money for the racers at the end of
the year,it seems like a win-win for all to me.
Dan

Tires

The tire rule has nothing to do with the Burris series, it is a way of keeping everyone on a level playing field. It would also help to keep cost down for those who dont have the different brands of tires. Money would be given to the track, which is a plus. Less emphasis would be placed on buying a wide variety of tires, another plus. Would it keep people away? If the payout that is in place now, keeps racers coming back, I dont believe a tire rule would drive them away.

I have to agree with Dan & RacerRik. The tire war is way out of hand.With the # of different combinations of manufacturers & compounds available,major money you must have to keep up.And driver skills,chassis set up,adjustments,ect.go out the window.A Question: What does Burris say with regards to Tire treatment,they're using some fairly toxic solvents to melt these tires. B Question:Will Bedrock allow treaded tires on Opens in 2005?? as long as they're Burris's.
A tire rule that's enforced will definately be accepted big time.

tire rule

I'll take it a step farther. If its costs you all are worried about, have a Burris tire rule. AND a compound rule. Say 33's. then 1 set and a couple of spares should do it, right? .... Wrong. The folks with the 40' trailers will just fill up the tire racks with 5 sets of 33's. 1 set prepped with this...1 set with that..one set non -prepped. Wait I almost forgot...these tires will also be lathe cut in various profiles.

They only player in this game this favors is Burris. Which is fine. If I owned a tire company I'd apply the same marketing strategy.
If the rule increases revenue for Franks track, and brings good kart counts.
Then thats great, do it. Bedrock is a nice track, and it's not like we have a long list of places to race. But racers saving money because of a tire rule?
I think that is a little overrated.

Deep pockets will never be legislated out of having an advantage.

Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?

Its not a tire war its a chemical war. You will spend as much money running burris tires as a tire rule. It comes down to the right prep, cleaner, softner. Everytime you use these chemicals it makes tire wear out faster. If any track is wanting there racers to save money then get rid of the chemicals and we all know that will never happen.

tires

Just because it would be Burris tires, does not mean 1 type. 33s work good some nights, 22s on others, when I raced earlier last year and won, I was on 3 DXBs and 1 D21. Those that want to spend the money will do so no matter what, but this will help Frank out financially at the track. He has made many improvements since taking over, and has plans to do more, so any help is accepted. The question I would pose is: Would MAXXIS or FIRESTONE or DUNLOP or any other tire maker do the same? If so let them step up to the plate and do so, then we can buy more tires to have sitting around.

i agree with the two posts about chemicals and all that. It all comes down to what they are really gonna give the track. If the discount isn't gonna be that much there isn't really a gain there. i think burris would really have to give alot at the end of the year to make it worth anyones time. Now if they were gonna kick in some money for some money shows that would help out. As far as cutting cost it really doesn't do it. Someone said something about the different cuts in tires and so forth well if you have watched any of the wiggins video that teach you about set they want you to have the same tire on like 3 different wheels for stagger and side wall bite. I agree with the track getting the money because Frank does one of the best jobs i have ever seen on a track and he doesn't settle for anything less than a damn good track. But i don't think that it will cut cost. Yeah people are gonna win down there on one set of tires but there is always room to get faster and that is wear the prep and all that business comes into play.

i am with hobson on this post....get rid of the chemicals and allow any type tire,they all work well..there isnt a better tire out there,we have been fast on burris,we have been fast on maxxis,and we have been fast on stones and dunlops,it comes down to choosing the right tire for track application...preps,softners,and cleaners just help the tire come in that much quicker and go away that much faster,intern costing more for tires and preps both..i dont use preps very much,i scuff and go,if i dont choose the right tire then it just wasnt my night....bottom line is we have our three cars ready for this season and we'll visit belleville some either way..

joey potter #94
brad potter #21
greg detienne#17

i also gotta add that the burris tire rules are a way to put money in kurts pocket...i dont think he is gonna give back to bellville even close to what belleville racers will spend on his tires and put into his company,i dont see the burris tires saving any money,i think the tire manufacturers are all about the same cost..i am not a fan of any particular tire,i go with what works that night and start on a fresh foot the next night...just because everybody has to run a burris tire isnt gonna make it any more equal,and your gonna spend the same on a set of tires anyway wether it be burris,maxxis,dunlop,or stones.....only way to make it remotely close to equal is get rid of preps ect,make everyone do it the ol fashioned way and pick and chose the right tire for that night,makes for better racing as well..just my $.02

It's also a matter of synthetic rubber(burris) versus (real) live rubber (maxxis, firestone). I personally think live rubber is better. I agree scuffing is the best thing to do. There is such a thing as too much tire softener. I don't think a lot of folks know that. I've seen a lot of guys that just damn near drown their tires in that stuff. After a certain point that tire is gonna get greasey as hell. If they really want to even things up tire wise, get rid of the softener altogether. Then get yourself a Durometer and figure out which ones are softer in the first place.

also guys gotta realize softer isnt always better,when they soften a hard tire it comes in quicker and goes away alot quicker as well,let a hard tire do what it is suppose to,and that is come to you in about 4 to 5 laps.softner does help when you got everything in tune and dont go crazy,but the war isnt tires it is preps.....i use softners very rarely...your changing the charictaristics of the rubber when you use chemicals and alot of them just dry the tire out..if you pick the right tire there is no need for preps....i am a big fan of scuffing and where legal i think heating them works alot better then prep......

tire prep

it would be to hard to police tire prep. i would hate to throw some one out of the race thinking they had prep on there tires. and find out later i was wrong. that would be a judgement call an offical would have to make, and everyone would have a field day on here about it. tire prep was not the question that was asked, just need to know if everyone would support a track with a tire rule. thanks larry :D

you can spot tire prep from a mile,isnt hard to tell who is on prep and who isnt on prep most of the time..the answer to your question about tires was answered.. some will go and some wont,point is tires issnt the problem and what good is it to have a set tire when no tire is better then the other,and still isnt gonna make the playing feild any more equal or cheaper as long as prep is involved?if you think that the little bit that burris is gonna kick back is gonna do anything then go for it,if not then dont..i think the racers will be at belleville either way for what and who the track is,not a tire rule...

tire rule

I say it is a good thing to have burris only.Not everyone has the money that the hobsons have to buy every tire made and grind the hell out of them and just buy new ones and o by the way do all the people maken these post race at bedrock every week.As long as it would benifit both sides what is wrong with it if they are going to give back to the racers plus make themselves a lil money then i say go for it.

dixon you really have no clue and the line you made about the hobsons was totally uncalled for,obviously you dont know them that well cause they are great poeple and just cause they have money for a gazillion tires so damn what,get a good job and you too will have money...if you think going to a burris tire rule is gonna save any money and you will benifit greatly,then go ahead,its your choice.burris tires are no different then any other..i just think they will be losing potential regulars at the track that dont like burris tires..prepping is where the war is,not tires...you will spend more prepping a tire then you will grinding it,if not you are getting carried away or have a 8'' grinder one of the two.....if ya wanna save some money make everyone durometer at the same reading and allow any tire...it really makes no difference to me if they run burris or dont,they asked for opinions and that is what they got,you throwing ones money into it is just plain idiotic..if you think there money makes them fast you are crazy,they are very talented and john is great with what it takes for setups...

tires

as most of you know, i didnt run this year with my kid, but we ran beaver creek the year before and they gave away3-4 sets of tires at the end, and certificates, and jackets, etc. but the bottom line, since all tires cost the same as stated above, why not get frank some financial help, which all of us would benefit from. I did my best, at the beginning of the year, to help frank and crew. i got all the straw donated, and gave a drive in vehicle to the track. but then i fell of the face of the earth, but bottom line, i dont see frank getting rich off this place. without him, we would all be -issing our neighbors off riding through the hood, like i do. lets do whats best for the track and frank, whats good for frank is good for us.

Pretty well most everyone around has a set or two of Burris tires. I think it will be benefitial to the track and racers to have the burris only tire rule. I believe that if Frank does go to the Burris tire only rule, Burris will kick in about $2,000.00 to the track. One other Question I have is, I believe that Bedrock would gain more racers if they would increase the payout from 50% to 70%. I know that you can't make money in kart racing, but it would bring more karters to the track.

Back