Brian Shaw gets hit in head with jack handle at Haubstadt

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Not much details yet on who hit him or even how Brian is doing..

[BCOLOR=#f9f9f9]I'm not going to post what I've heard out of respect to the ones involved.....but I can tell you this much if what I'm hearing is the truth someone needs max punishment.. [/BCOLOR]

Drivers need to learn to not enter others pits looking for trouble. These things would never happen

Last edited:
[BCOLOR=#f9f9f9]I'm not going to argue but when has it became ok to swing an object at someone?? NEVER!! [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=#f9f9f9]If there's a problem be a man about it and swing a fist... Give me a break![/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#f9f9f9]I'm not going to argue but when has it became ok to swing an object at someone?? NEVER!! [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=#f9f9f9]If there's a problem be a man about it and swing a fist... Give me a break![/BCOLOR]

Unacceptable to swing anything at a guys head. If you're gonna fight roll up your sleeves and get to it. I was always taught I was on my own if I left my pit, but this is ridiculous.

He has been moved from ICU to a private room. He remains in serious but stable condition

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Could have killed the man Doesnt matter why the other person was mad It should never escalate to that What is next guns?

soo, I'm assuming there will be follow up story that someone is sitting in jail right now? or was this some weird accident, Hope he has a speedy recovery , the sport doesn't need this........

Thoughts and prayers to Brian. ..but it's a shame to see these types off guy's use weapons cause their afraid to take a lil Ass whipping! Man up and do it how men should do it! Grandpa always said a good ass kicking only makes you smarter!

Yes, the person was arrested. I've heard two different charges (attempted manslaughter and/or attempted murder)

We just pitted next to Brian last week at Granite City, I can't believe it! Thoughts and prayers for a fast and speedy recovery from everyone at SCP!

Last edited:
On the indiana open wheel forum there is talk of the incident Ive seen this way too much over the years and thats people going into anothers pit area Used to be you did that and you were gone

Stopped by the hospital today and saw Brian. He was in and out from the medication.
Wanted to know what I was doing there! Good sign he recognized me. When he came
to the next time he wanted to know how bad the racecar was (Typical Racer) that's another
good sign. Feisty as ever and wanted to know when he's going home. He's going to be there
for several day's and seem's to be doing as good as can be expected. It was good to see his
Dad (Bill Shaw) and talk with him. He's really lucky that it's not worse than it is.

It's a tragedy to see this happen to anyone, especially at the track and 1 of our racing family
member's.

I hope everyone takes notice and it doesn't ever happen again!!

Get Well Soon Brian!

Kevin, Tammy & all of us here at Tri-City Speedway

Tracks in drivers meeting promote the on track stuff. If it's not policed on the track why would it be policed in pits. To many times tracks turn the other cheek and or just give a slap on wrist.!! The tracks have to take control back!! Drivers running around on race tracks like idiots and fights in the pits!! Wonder why we are losing fans!!! Hmmmm. Get well soon it's a horriable tragedy.

I would, at the very least, hope the person got charged with assault with a deadly weapon.

As for the guns comment, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it doesn't happen in the next year or two. I'm not going to turn this into a gun debate, but there are people who think they have the right to carry anywhere, anytime, regardless of local law or facility policy, because it's their "constitutional right". It's this "don't tread on me" mentality that is going to get someone killed.

Very simply put. If there's a weapon available regardless of what it is, it's eventually going to be used. There's gonna be one idiot out there that makes the rest of us look guilty just for carrying. It's inevitable. Whether it be a jack handle, gun, crowbar. You name
it. I think it's important for for promotors and fans together to stand up and take action against heinous, cowardly crimes such as this. Zero tolerance. I personally saw someone at a local track that I was surprised had not been banned according to this tracks own rules as posted on their website. This to me is proof that some are more worried about losing fans than safety.

I was not there, so this is second/third hand information . There was contact on the track, after the race Shaws crew approached Tatums car then followed him to his trailer then the fight took place. I am NOT AT ALL saying hitting someone is ok , with anything , fist included, but when you enter someone else's pit you put yourself in a very comprising situation. IF that is what happened
Think this is also part of what has happened to racing.. People spending too much money, and taking things to the extreme and it has taken the fun out of the sport, and ran a lot of people off from racing.

Hope the injured gets well soon, and that all parties involved realize this sport is supposed to be a fun hobby.

Back