Constructive Criticism for Ray Marler

bee0001

I am an I-55 regular and love the place but have some ideas for Ray to improve his program.

1) Cut hot laps to only 2 or 3 laps per session. You are wasting the track and valuable time. I didnt pay to see 12 lap hot lap sessions. (Some tracks like Mt vernon dont even hot lap at all.)

2) Stop hot lapping the 4 cylinder cars and maybe even the sportsman cars. They are rutting up your track and causing LM racers to stay away because of track conditions.

3) Get a new flagman. He is going to hurt someone. There were two mods on the track that broke at the same time. (one was Leon Rakers I dont know the second one) and the leaders almost hit them because the flagman failed to throw the yellow soon enough. Its too dangerous to try to pull in and drivers are not going to do it so just throw the yellow.

4) Stop playing obvious favoritism. Allowing Clay Bauman to get in his back-up car after the race had already begun is ridiculous. ( I am a Milkman fan also) but in my mind you owe the #66 car of Gipson $250 because he didnt make the feature as a result. Clay just happened to have his show car there and I guess you decided to pay him for it.

This is just one example. It happens in all classes.

5) Get rid of Allied. They dont make the show. Your facility makes the show. They are going to bring you down.

Still the best show in town but drivers and fans will go elsewhere if you dont keep them happy. They do pay the bills now dont they.

I thought it was really cool that Clay got to bring out his back up car. He would have really loved to use the orange car because it was actually set up to race but it was involved in that first lap masacre in the semi. Since he did use a different car, all tracks treat instances like this one as if he were a late arrival. He did start in the rear of the semi and since he went on to qualify for the feature he had to run that car in the feature not the orange one. We could have fixed the orange car but since he pulled off the track with it, it was already dis-qualified.
We are sorry that people feel that Clay got special treatment but that really isnt the case.
tracie

The race had not completed a lap, so Clay was able to get a back-up car and run. No different than if he had gotten it before the original start. Several drivers in the past of done the same, including Dixon, who blew a motor in a heat, had someone go down to Washington and get the back-up, and bring it back in time for the semi.

1. I don't mind at all the hot lap sessions. You do have to give them enough time to get a feel for the car, and I don't think 3 or 4 laps would quite cut it. However, I don't think the sessions are twelve laps, more like 8.

2. I agree about the Pro-4 Stocks not hot lapping...there's nothing to set up anyway, and the track has been run in by the time their heat comes around. However, the sportsman run fast enough that they do need to have some time to figure out their set-ups. Or haven't you been paying attention during the sportsman races?

3. Sometimes the flagman is too concerned with getting the lap in than the safety of the drivers. But, it's been like this for quite some time. If anything, if the top five have crossed the line, then score the lap complete, rather than waiting for the entire field to go by. Too dangerous that way.

4. I've already discussed this one....it was within the rules and totally legit.

5. I have no concerns about Allied. I think they keep a good show going. Why change what isn't broken?

i have seen Jumper leave to go get his back up car from his shop.....bauman just got a lucky break....now whats the difference with clay than those guys who carry 2 cars??? basicallly none....like i said it was a lucky break for him.....j/m/o

Steve Francis pulled out a backup car last night after qualifying well on the first lap then crashing his car on the second lap. Came out in the heats at the back of the pack. Babb pulled out a backup car on opening night of the SN's at Godfrey and won the whole thing. Moyer blew an engine at KLMS two years ago and started the back of the semi in a backup car then went on to win the race from the back of the feature. If I'm not mistaken either Korte or Melvin raced a SN's event this year in Kreke's car after having problems in their car. I think backup cars are fine as long as the driver has provisionals or starts from the back of the field in whatever race he brings the backup out in.

There is no problem with getting in your backup car. Just as long as the race has not started. That was not the instance Saturday night.

The track was only rutted up through the middle because of the sheer amount of rain we received on Friday.

I also read on here that Mt. Vernon's track rutted up real bad on Saturday.

Rain and dirt do not dance well together.

Not Letting The Sportsman Hot Lap Is A Ridiculous Idea. Its High Time People Realize A Sportsman Is A Full Fledge Race Car Just Like A Mod Or Lm. The Only Thing That Makes A Mod More Exspensive Is The Motor And Tranny. They Can Run Some Different Suspension Stuff. But, Not Much. The Sportsman May Be The 3rd Class Of Choice For Most People At Most Tracks, But They Are Not Sh!it On A Stick And Shouldn't Be Treated As Such.

As Far As The #77 Bringing Out A Back Up? Absolutely Nothing Wrong With It. The Race Did Not Get A Complete Lap In And Clay Had To Run The Race And Make The Feature. If The Wreck Would Have Happened After They Had Ran A Complete Lap, It Would Have Been Tough Luck Load Her Up! No Different Than If Someone Would Have Stepped Aside And Let Clay Drive Their Car.

AS FAR AS GETTING RID OF ALLIED? WISH FOR SOMETHING YOU MIGHT GET. DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATHE, CUZ I DON'T SEE THEM GOING ANYWHERE.

I am sorry but you guys are wrong. Once a race car hits the track you cant change to another car. No other track or sanctioning body allows this. You can do it in the next race. Also, the fact that no laps were completed was ALLIEDs excuse and has nothing to do with it.

Also, teak 77 this has nothing to do with Clay his crew or family. You are the nicest people around. Its about Allied and their stupid decisions that continue to fuel controversy.

Pitdrifter, not disrepecting the Sports just trying to move the show along. There is just way too much time wasted. If they alternated classes or eliminated hot laps all together it would be fine by me.

Well, I Don't Know About Every Track Around, But Allied Has Always Allowed This. You Can Switch Cars At Anytime Before The Semi. Weather Its Your Back Up Or Barrowing Someone's. You Just Have To Run The Semi And Qualify That Car Yourself. That Is What Clay Did.

This Happens Every So Often.it Not That Uncommon. Usually Its Someone Loaning A Guy A Car, Not A Guy Having A Back Up On Hand. But Nevertheless, Works The Same Way.

REMEMBER, NO LAPS HAD BEEN COMPLETED AND IT WAS A RED FLAG. PITMEN CAN WORK ON CARS OR WHATEVER FOR 3 MINUTES.

Could it be that it was the semi a qualifier race that it was allowed. And besides I believe everyone should get hot laps weather you are a 4 cylinder or a latemodel. And on a typical night we are out of the by 3:00 in the morning OPPSS I mean you can be outta there by 10:00 - 10:30.... Just don't go to the pits and socialize and you be out by then. How many cars total did they have on the FULL MOON CIRCUIT Saturday Night anyway? And you must not be a driver or owner. Alot of people race on Friday Nights get tore up and hot laps are a great time to test the car out before the heats. I noticed at hot laps it was dusty in turns 3-4 and 1-2 was moist but as the night kept going the moisture came back up keeping some of the dust down. WELCOME to a GOOD FULL NIGHT of RACING. Are you sure you are not BRANDON PAUL or my other buddy you know the official from some where else? :rolleyes: LMAO!!!!???? Running past your bed time does mess a schedule up doesn't it :eek: Just kidding!!!!

Lisa J

bee0001 -

Iam not taking any offense to what you said. I think Clay was still in shock after the mess on the fist lap. His crew asked the officials if we could run the back up car and they said yes - so we got him to the car and told him to go! I would however like to know UMP's position on this because I would like to know if it is a santioned rule or track rule or wrong all together. One of the other drivers that was in the wreck said if he had known that we had brought the 2nd car back to the pits - he would have raced Clay to see who got it back into the race first : ) So we werent the only ones with the thought.
If we were wrong - I guess we just got lucky, and sometimes you just gotta take that for all its worth right?
tracie

I have NEVER seen a racer change a car after the race started- the race did start. No laps were completed but the race started. Yes, you can change cars and it happens but for the next race.

bee0001 said:
I have NEVER seen a racer change a car after the race started- the race did start. No laps were completed but the race started. Yes, you can change cars and it happens but for the next race.

LET ME GET THIS THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULL....THE RACE HAD NOT STARTED OFFICIALLY!!! IT WAS A TOTAL RESTART, WITH A RED FLAG. THAT MEANS YOU CAN WORK ON YOUR CARS OR ROLL OUT A BACK-UP. I REPEAT...ONCE THE WRECK WAS CLEANED UP, IT WAS A 2 BY 2 TOTAL AND COMPLETE RESTART FROM LAP ZERO!!!

I believe that a race isn't started until 1 full lap has been scored, if no laps were scored the race officially didn't start. Not sure all the particulars that happened Saturday night but that is my understanding of the rule.

John Barr
The Trashdog

I guessed they crashed because the race didnt start.

gas pedal down = race started. Your definition is flawed.

Back