Crate Late Models

FERGY69

COULD WE GET ENOUGH PEOPLE TOGETHER TO RUN FASTRAK TYPE CARS HERE? WE WOULD RUN THREE.

fastrakracing.com

I think it would be a good thing if some local tracks would work with Fastrak. What other series can you race a Late Model for under $10,000 & be competitive?

sean2 said:
I think it would be a good thing if some local tracks would work with Fastrak. What other series can you race a Late Model for under $10,000 & be competitive?
I highly doubt that a competitive cratemodel could be fielded for that amount. What do chassis's from Rayburn go for? Tires, wheels, springs, shocks, tranny? You could field a car for that, maybe even win a show here and there. But "competitive" for under $10,000? I think thats a little on the low side, even with the crate motor. The motor is going to cost how much of that? Like, at least $3500? Whatever you don't blow on motor you can easily spend on other go faster stuff, and the guys without all the goodies will get left behind, same as they do now in all of the classes.

Dont get me wrong, I am not against crate motor series. But I think they are more for stuff like Ford Focus midgets, where a manufacturer uses a series to promote a product. I think it works well when the supplier is the sponsor.

I also think LM racing is the upper division, and at some point, you just have to say the hell with controlling cost, and let the boys go race. If you can't afford it, don't race it, stick with a mod or a sportsman or a bomber. I used to be of the opinion that that was a major drawback with UMP LM's, they had no motor rule. Now, I just figure it is an open motor racing class, and it's up to the guys who race in it to live with that fact. It is out of my league, completely, but then there is no rule says everyone should be able to run in that class.

LM's are not for everybody, nor should they be.

Definite maybe for me

I’ve been thinkin’ pretty hard ‘bout this one… I think if the series came to the area there would be enough cars to support it. I for one would be looking pretty hard at moving to this series if the amount of travel didn’t negate the cost saved on the power plant.

t.nie said:
I highly doubt that a competitive cratemodel could be fielded for that amount. What do chassis's from Rayburn go for? Tires, wheels, springs, shocks, tranny? You could field a car for that, maybe even win a show here and there. But "competitive" for under $10,000? I think thats a little on the low side, even with the crate motor. The motor is going to cost how much of that? Like, at least $3500? Whatever you don't blow on motor you can easily spend on other go faster stuff, and the guys without all the goodies will get left behind, same as they do now in all of the classes.

Dont get me wrong, I am not against crate motor series. But I think they are more for stuff like Ford Focus midgets, where a manufacturer uses a series to promote a product. I think it works well when the supplier is the sponsor.

I also think LM racing is the upper division, and at some point, you just have to say the hell with controlling cost, and let the boys go race. If you can't afford it, don't race it, stick with a mod or a sportsman or a bomber. I used to be of the opinion that that was a major drawback with UMP LM's, they had no motor rule. Now, I just figure it is an open motor racing class, and it's up to the guys who race in it to live with that fact. It is out of my league, completely, but then there is no rule says everyone should be able to run in that class.

LM's are not for everybody, nor should they be.

Todd , do a little research & I think you will find that you can be competitive in the crate class with a $10,000 car! You can find used rollers pretty cheap. Just go look in the classifieds , they are all over the place.

As for saying the hell with controlling the cost & let the big boys race, sure if it's UMP, but whats wrong with "poor boys" racing in a Late Model Class that is designed to control the cost? Just because someone cant afford a $50,000 race car they are not allowed to be in a Late Model class?

Check out www.fastrakracing.com for more info on the Fastrak Series and Crate Models in general.

sean2 said:
Todd , do a little research & I think you will find that you can be competitive in the crate class with a $10,000 car! You can find used rollers pretty cheap. Just go look in the classifieds , they are all over the place.

As for saying the hell with controlling the cost & let the big boys race, sure if it's UMP, but whats wrong with "poor boys" racing in a Late Model Class that is designed to control the cost? Just because someone cant afford a $50,000 race car they are not allowed to be in a Late Model class?

Check out www.fastrakracing.com for more info on the Fastrak Series and Crate Models in general.

I agree with Sean2 ,,hope this class makes it to our area !

Sean, my point is that it really doesn't matter what is done to control costs, the guys with the dollars will beat the guys without. Consistently. Look at any class of racing, hell, hornets are the cheapest class there is, but it is still the money guys who win. So, that being the case, why have a class that is catering to poor boys at all, when the poorest poor boys will STILL lose, and the guys with the cash still win?

There really isn't a cost effective way to go LM racing and be competitive. Regardless of the motor stipulation. I can put an LM on the track for 5 grand. There ya go, I am LM racing. But I am still getting beat by guys with cash. I don't need a crate motor to control the cost of racing, I can do that myself. In fact, I can field a UMP LM with a steel block a damn sight cheaper than your cratemodel. It wont be any more competitive though, than any other LM on the track that doesn't have the best of everything on it.

Look at Lenny Garson, he runs his LM all year long and MAKES money, one of the few guys I can think of that do. Does he win races? Hell no. Not in a million years. Does his LM program cost him a lot of cash to run each year? Again, hell no. But, Lenny doesnt lose money going racing either. A lot of people give him crap, but he is out there, racing and having fun, and taking home a profit each week with his second-hand cars. My hats off to the guy, and it is obvious he does it for the love of racing, not just the love of winning.

So the bottom line is really what are you actually after? Are you looking for a way to take away the advantage of guys with money, or are you just looking at being able to afford to go race? If the answer is the first, then you are still going to be outdollared by somebody, somewhere, in any class, unless of course you can afford the best of everything. And if the answer is the second, then why not just go build a steel block LM out of the second hand cheap crap that is available all over and just go race the thing with whatever motor you can build yourself in your garage? Instead of being forced to dump thousands into a crate motor, and still run at the back?

Sounds a little cynical to me tnie. Just throw in the towel and give up to the big money. Seems to me this may just be the ticket to replace the dwindling sportsman class at some tracks. Used latemodel chassis are plentiful and cheap. Almost every sportsman car that is competitive has well over 3500.00(some have over 10k) in their motor and a new sportsman chassis can cost 10 grand plus for a roller. Thats 20k for a sportsman. You can buy a pretty good used late model roller for under 10k. I think a guy could have a front running crate model for under 15k easily. Another plus would be a guy could try to run with the big boys once in awhile if wants to. Money doesn't always win races. For all those that wouldn't like it because it's not a "real latemodel" you probably have never raced or payed the bills for a race car. To many guys have gotten out of racing because of the expence, the cost of running a competitve modified or latemodel has ballooned to the point it is pushing the little guy completely out of racing.

I am currently looking for a "Crate" motor sponsor for the Super Bowl of Racing at Golden Isles Speedway, Grunswick, Georgia on Feb 3rd _4th_5th. Need GM part number 88958604. Need it by December 20th while entry fee is only $100 a night for the three nights. In my area most of the tracks that having been running MLRA & MARS are not running them anymore (cost to much to put on the show for return in gate) so say the owner/promotors. So, if we had a Crate motor series around central Missouri I know of a dozen guys who would run it. Better that then making a flower pot out of these late models. And before someone mentions UMP, been there, done that, not interested. We thought we had something going with the Show-me series but that also turned out to be for the guys with MLRA & MARS cars that where needing another funding source. If you showed up with a late model with stock 350 SBC with a 500 cmf two barrel carb, you would still have to put a restrictor plate on and have a 390 carb to run any night with the Show-me series (IMCA spec motor class). Look at what one of those babies cost.:cool:

Todd, I understand you can build a car such as Fireball does & go out every week just to have fun, nothing wrong with that at all. Fireball probably has more fun than anyone out there. You can spend $5000 to $6000 as you say on a sled a go do some Steel Block shows & some UMP shows but will always be in the back . The Crate Model option allows you to spend around $10,000 & be competitive with the rest of the field (yes Todd, it can be done :D ).

I would like to know how you can build a Steel Block A damn sight cheaper than a Crate Model? Can you build a motor for a Steel Block for $3500 a be competitive at Tri-City or Mt.Vernon? I dont think so, I know guys who race Steel Blocks & have $3500 Aluminum heads! The Fastrak Series is a cost effective series with a level playing field.

To answer your question about am I looking to take away the advantage of the guys with the money, or just looking at being able to afford to race? It's a little of both! :D

You boys that are so infatuated by this 'magic new class' need to do a little research. Go to the fastrak site, and read the founder's vision. He talks like the 'super successful' people that you see advertising get rich quick schemes on cable tv. You know what he's selling? HE'S SELLING FRANCHISES! If you want this magic class in this area, all you have to do is step up with some long green, and buy your very own franchise. Then try and get a promoter(or you) to guarantee a $1200-$3K purse for 10 355-400bhp cars that can't spin the tires. That will no doubt pack the stands. Now some facts: They have 8 member tracks on their site. 1 has closed the doors. 2 are "Hobby" tracks, racing 4 cyl's and Sportsmen cars. 1 is a steel head/ block LM track, 1 has Crate LMs as the top class, and 2 are similar to UMP LMs. Hard to tell how many times they raced in 2004. Maybe 10 times, but results are only shown for 6. Average car count: 12(high= 15, low=10). If you want to run for points, kick in $500 for a 'membership'($400 next year). Oh yeah, the points fund and purses are being 'restructured'. Seems they are too top-heavy. OK, you also will have to buy a set of radios, cause they are allowed. If you do not have them, you will be at a very large disadvantage. Add $1000-$1500 to that crate LM, and tie up a crew guy spotting. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate these guys, but I think things should be laid on the table for all to see. But I do get tired of them, on every BBS on the net, pushing their snake oil to run-at-the-back rubes who think the only reason they are in the back is a lack of money, not sense and talent. Listen to 1 of your own, t.nie. He is spot-on, except for the stuff about L.G.! P.S: I'm a pavement guy, whose Super LM team budget, while outlandish to some, is woefully underfunded compared to the $500K+ spent by some of our competitors. We have trouble making most big shows, and run in the back when we do, but if we wanted to be a big fish in a small pond and run up front, we would back up several classes , not whine about Eddie Hoffmann's big transporter, or David Stremme's free ride. Everybody can't win! Most are field-fillers! Get used to it! Race, spend all your money, drink beer and have fun. That's the most that 90% are going to get. I need a pill.

If you read the guys post it says "fasttrack type cars" I think your right about the actual sanction, to high of purse and to high membership fee. That doesn't mean you couldn't do it on a local level without going thru fasttarack

Read it for your self

The meeting held today for the Fastrak Champions Southern Region was the largest turn out yet. This was a large banquet room normally holding 45-50 people and there was standing room only. An amazing turn out of 67 drivers and car owners were there to be a part of the 2005 Rules meeting.

It was unbelievable quoted Series CEO Stan Lester. People were there from NC,SC,TN,GA,FL and even one from PA. I was surprised at not only the people there but the people that actually signed up and became members as well. These people were there for a purpose. I commend each and every person for their efforts today. I am very grateful they came and gave their imput. I think the drviers really appreciate being a part of the rules making process. They do have a voice with Fastrak and from what I saw today are very serious about their future and the future of the Series.

After today there are 31 drivers that have paid the 2005 Membership fee. Now thats progress. I know there are more coming. We were running about an hour late from our proposed time of 4:00 but everyone was very patient and really willing to work with one another. Some people had to leave and get home but took their membership forms with them to be mailed in immediately.

In my estimate it looks like there should be at least 40 members resulting from todays success. Lots of things were discussed, rules were made, purse structures were decided on, points results and prizes were announced for the 2004 season and many other items of discussion. It was a tremendously successful day. I hope and believe everyone left there knowing they had a voice. This Series is about the drivers first and foremost. I still believe that if we help make the drivers successful then how can the Series fail?

With the $50,000 Points Fund, $100,000 Contingency Fund and other things coming quickly, the 2005 season is certainly a year that no one will soon forget.

This was the series first year and im sure there were problems, but lets look at how many cars showed up for there last show of the year.

It was the largest car count ever on hand for a Crate Late Model event as 51 entries made there way to OSP in Savannah GA for the $9000.00 to win "Showdown On The Coast". With entries from TN,GA,NC,SC,VA,FL and WV it was a showdown as all 51 entries had their eye on the Prize.

It was the best turn out of these Late Models in history!! I think any doubts of these cars being "real" were certainly erased Friday night.

Entries were as follows:

00 Billy Costello, Palatka Fl
1 Bobby Morris, Bloomingdale GA
3 Jeremy Ledford, Mt Airy GA
M5 Doodle Pipkin, Yulee FL
5 Brian Coake, Wytheville VA
6 Shane Riner, Guylee GA
7 Shawn Pritchard, Rincon GA
07 Corey Fletcher, Bloomingdale GA
8W Shane Walker, Faulkville GA
8 Hot Rod LaMance, Six-Mile SC
11 Brendan Yawn, Springfield GA
11P Leiland Pruitt, Savannah GA
12 Brenden Umberger, Wythe VA
17 Derek Nichols, Cedartown GA
18 Brett Glassletter, Mooresville NC
25H Skimp Henry, Newport TN
25P Jody Palmer, Seneca SC
28 Donnie Bazemore, Savannah GA
43 Lonnie Bryant, Bloomingdale GA
45 Ronnie Tullis, Winder GA
46 Chuck Field, Augusta GA
49 Todd Higdon, Danielsville GA.....2004 FASTRAK POINT CHAMPION
51 Paul Kelly, Dacula GA
51D Randy Dillard, Epworth GA
56 Buster Smith Powder Springs GA
60 James Manka, Savannah GA
69 Scott Morgan Easley SC
73 Danny Burks, Abbington VA
77 Matt Smith, Powder Springs GA
84 Casey Barrow, Bloomington GA
88 Bill Peters, Rome GA
FM94 Randy Taylor, Troutdale VA
99M Timmy Millwood, Cummings GA
99 AJ Watson, Loganville GA
42 Phil Peppers, Jefferson GA
19 Dexter Matthews,
G97 Gary Phillips, Conyers GA
47 Curt Redding, Savannah GA
55 Steve Richardson, Hiawasee GA
1st Kelly Fegter, Mooresville NC
18W Dusty Williams, Garden City GA
15 Glen Yawn, Rincon GA
2 Brian Barnes, Bloomingdale GA
99S Steven Senter, Savannah GA
23 Randall Byrd,
28E David Browning, Jacksonville FL
24 Ryan Bryson
93 Trey Baucom, Concord NC
4 Ricky Brant, Pooler GA
41 Mark Davis, Savannah GA
X Bill Arbaugh, Toccoa GA

Heat 1 went quick with the 25H of Skimp Henry on the pole and the G97 for Gary Phillips on the outside. The 25 car took the lead going into turn one. Coming off two the 46 of Chuck Field, the 60 of Jim Manka and the 49 of Todd Higdon eased by the G97 of Phillips taking positions 1-4. The 25H had a sizeable lead by running lower in the corners than anyone all night. I mean he was coming off on the bottom and he was flying.

Top five Transferred to Main: 25H, 46, 60, 49, 51

Heat 2 with several cautions took a little longer than the 1st heat but it was exciting to say the least. The 5 car of Bryan Coake sported the pole position with 8 of Hot Rod LaMance starting on the outside. Hot Rod jumped out front as it seemed as if the outside lane had a little more traction all night for the starts and led going into turn one. Lap four the 25 car of Jody Palmer passed the 5 car coming off turn four as the 5 car slid a little high coming off. The 99M of Timmy Millwood made a bid for third but the 5 of Coake held him off coming down the front stretch. The 94 car of randy Taylor slid high coming out of turn four allowing the 56 of Buster Smith to pass down the front straight.

Top five transferred to the Main: 8, 25, 5, 99M, 88

Heat 3 got under way and it definitely got heated with some door to door action. The 18 of Williams quickly got out front down the front straight with the 43 of Bryant right on his heels. The 18 car led into turn one and slid up the outside of turn two only to find to his left front tire was flat. The 43 car made quick work of it and headed down the back straight with the lead. Caution for the 18 car put the 43 on the inside and the 73 of Burk on the outside. Bryant being a veteran of this track and Burk being one of the toughest competitors at Wythe Raceway and this was getting exciting. The 73 proved to be up to the task as again the outside was little better on starts. The 84 of Casey Barrow made the pass for second but the 43 of Bryant was no where near giving up. The 43 made a bid for the pass for second down the back straight and made it stick. He was headed for first. He caught the 73 car and hounded him for several laps looking under him but the 73 took the win.

Top five transferred to the Main: 73, 43, 84, 77, and 12

Heat 4 proved to be exciting as well. The 99 of Watson headed to the led through turns one and two only to be restarted from a caution of the 24 car taking a spill down the front straight. The 99 car again jumped out to the point with the 17 car in tow. The 93 car took a wild ride going into turn one and slid all the way to the outside wall. Having very little damaged he restarted the race. The 18 got the jump this time for the double file restart with the 17 hounding the 99 car for second spot coming off turn two. The 99 and the 17 were side by side down the back straight with the 99 car just jumping ahead at the very end before entering turn three. The 28 car led every lap to the finish.

Top five transferred to the main: 18, 99, 17, 28, 07

Heat 5 was proving to be a very quick and competitive heat with the 8 on the inside and the 7 on the outside. The 8 took the early lead going into turn one with the 45 moving into 2nd very quickly. 3rd, 4th and 5th positions were three wide off turn two with the 1 of Morris moving to 3rd down the back stretch. 5th- 9th positions were nose to tail fighting for the final transfer spot. The 1 was hounding the 45 off of every turn giving him a little nudge now and then just to let him know he was there. The 1 tried high and low and just could not make the pass. This was racing! In the mean time the 15 car was passing the 69 for 6th spot going into turn three. All the while 5th -9th were still fighting for the final transfer spot. The 7 made a bid for 3rd going into turn one but the 1 car held him off down the back stretch. The victor of the 5th heat was the 8 of Walker.

Last Chance: With only the top three guaranteed a starting spot in the main event this 12 lap, 25 car shoot out was going to be one of the more exciting events of the night.

From the reaction of the fans you would have thought this was the main event. Of course they did race like it was the main. 56 of Buster Smith and the 11P of Leiland Pruitt took the front row. The 11P got the jump on the start with the 42 slipping high off turn two and getting passed by the 69 and the 11B and this was all before they got to the flag stand! No wonder the fans were jumping up and down. There was passing going on everywhere coming off turn two as several rows were three wide. The 42 evidently developed a mechanical problem down the back straight as cars the 11P led the first lap with the 69, 11B nose to tail going under the flag stand. The 69 slid high off two with the 11B passing him. The 69 settled back in forth. The 00 took a spin off two bringing out the caution. Every lap after that saw considerable passing but more than can be posted.

Top Three Transferred to Main Event: 11P, 11B, 69, 6 (Track Provisional)

Main Event: The time Curfew certainly made this the shortest Feature event in history. Only 9 laps.

There were several scenarios taking place for the feature event. The 49 car Of Todd Higdon just by taking the green flag would be come the first ever "Fastrak Inaugural Season Points Champion". The 99 car of AJ Watson and the 25 car of Jody Palmer were starting side by side on the fifth row and just one point separated them in the Points chase for 2004.

The 8 of Shane Walker on the pole and the 8 of Hot Rod LaMance on the outside. Looked to be a good night for the number 8 cars. With a great start the 8 of Hot Rod LaMance jumped into the lead with the 8 of Walker second and then the 18 and 73 in hot pursuit. The 18 jumped to the outside of the 8 and made the pass off turn one. The 45 car passed the 73 off of turn one as well and three and four wide racing was on! 45 took a look under the 8 into turn three but thought better of it. Caution. The restart had the 8 of LaMance on the point. The 8 car led down the front straight with the 73 getting a little crossed up and being passed by several cars. Now it was the 8,18,8,45 and 25. 25 made a try on the low side off turn four to take the spot
away from the 45 but could not make it stick. The 25 was once again running lower than anyone else. The 43 had made his way up with the 25 looking for a way around. Caution. 7 car was in the outside of the track with mechanical problems and the 51 of Kelly had taken a big lick as the left front suspension was torn up. On the restart the 8 car slid high as the 45 took the position off of turn two. The 8 car again slid high off of four allowing the 25H and the 43 cars to pass for position. Caution found the 88 with problems at the top of turn two. Now it was the 8,18,45,25,43 cars in the top spots. This lap found the 60 car and the 1 car hooked together on the back straight. Restart and the race was to be called on the next caution for a curfew. Restart with 8 car out front and the 18 right on his bumper. 5 cars were tangled in turns three and four as Hot Rod LaMance took the checkered and red flag and determined the victor.

8 Hot Rod LaMance
18 Brett Glassletter
45 Ronnie Tullis
25H Skimp Henry
43 Lonnie Bryant

In the Victory lane celebration Hot Rod had no problem uncorking the champagne and spraying everyone in sight.

Todd Higdon was also congratulated on the front straight for his 2004 Fastrak Points Championship.

Our sincere appreciation to:

GM Performance
Goodyear Racing Tires
Doug Herbert Performance Parts
Racing Communications
Dirt Pro Mufflers

www.fastrakracing.com

My best advice go to there web site. Start at there very first post, and read all the posts.

Fastrak Schedule

Southern Schedule 05

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feb 3rd: Open Practice Oglethorpe Speedway Park "Winternationals"
Feb 4th: $1500 to win Oglethorpe Speedway Park "Winternationals"
Feb 5th: $2000 to win Oglethorpe Speedway Park "Winternationals"
March 16-23rd: Miss Fastrak Padgett and Car Show
March 26th: Tech and tune (track to be announced)
April 1st: Open Practice Screven Motor Speedway Sylvania GA
April 2nd: $3000 to win Screven Motor Speedway "Topless"
April 16th: Riverside Speedway, Travelers Rest SC (T)
April 30th: $3000 to win Cochran Speedway, Cochran GA
May 14th: Lancaster Speedway, Lancaster NC (T)
May 27th: $750 to win Oglethorpe Speedway Park, Savannah GA
(Local non points)
May 28th: $2000 to win, Oglethorpe Speedway Park, Savannah GA
(race against Nextel cup drivers)
June 10th: $1500 to win, Sugar Creek Speedway, Blue Ridge GA, "Topless"
($500 bonus weekend!!!)
June 11th: $1500 to win, Toccoa Speedway, Toccoa GA, "Topless"
($500 bonus weekend!!!!)
July 1st: $5000 to win, Volunteer Speedway, Bulls Gap TN "Topless"
(Natiional Double Points)
July 2nd: $5000 to win, Volunteer Speedway, Bulls Gap TN "Topless"
(National Double Points)
July 15th: $750 to win, Oglethorpe Speedway Park, Savannah GA
(Local non points)
July 16th: $1500 to win, Oglethorpe Speedway Park, Savannah GA
July 23rd: $1500 to win, Antioch Speedway, Antioch NC
August 6th: Open Date
August 20th: Modoc Speedway, Modoc SC, (T)
September 2nd: Wythe Raceway, Rural Retreat VA,
(Practice Pro Late Model Nationals)
September 3rd: $5000 to win, Wythe Raceway, Rural Retreat VA,
(National Double Points, Pro Late Model Nationals)
September 9th: $750 to win, Oglethorpe Speedway Park, Savannah GA
(Local Non Points)
September 10th: $1500 to win, Oglethorpe Speedway Park, Savannah GA
September 17th: $1500 to win, Talladega Short Track, Talladega AL
October 1st: (BIG ANNOUNCEMENT COMING SOON)
October 15th: Open date
October 20th: Open Practice Oglethorpe Speedway Park
Ocober 21st: $2500 to win Showdown On The Coast!!!! Oglethorpe Speedway Park

(please note: schedule subject to change)

The fact that everyone will not have an equal car. That is at the crux of the matter. You wont be at the top of any division consistently without having the best equipment. All it takes is one guy to drop $20,000 on his car before he drops in the "equal" motor, and he is gonna kick butt over all the other low budget racers. Which will only prompt the next guy to dump 20 g's and the next thing ya know, the money guys win, the poor boys lose, and it dont matter what chunk of metal is sitting in the front. Happens in every class of racing. Don't understand why anyone thinks this cratemodel deal is any different. All it does is give people the option to spend their big money on other parts for their cars so they can win.

It's like I said before, it depends on what you think this crate model deal will do for you. Get on the track cheaper? You can do that without being forced into a crate model.

Win races? You won't win consistently in crate models without dropping big cash. Especially once a few guys start spending, you will have to spend as well to stay at the front.

All those people at the meetings were there for a reason: what can we legally do next year to go faster. Where can we spend money. What parts can we buy. I don't think they were there to debate single file restarts, or whether or not to allow in HANS devices.

Crate models may give you a shot for a year, just like the first year of hornets. But after that, and people get it figured out, it will take money to be competitive. I could not believe how extreme those four cylinder cars got for a trophy after the first year. What won that first year would not win the next. And after that it really went nuts, until we see what we see now, with thousands of dollars of equpiment running around the tracks for a $100 bill.

Back