engine rules for outlaw class @ JYI

da.racing

Hey guys, are there any specific rules for the outlaw class at jyi? any hp size to start building with, displacement, how many cylinders, fuel, etc.. thanks.

---ron.

I'm not sure what the rules are at JYI but I'd bet they are pretty close to these:

no dual engines
no shifter engines
no water cooled engines
single cylinder only

What are you looking to build/buy?

We are not really sure yet but, was thinking on using a Tecumseh 12.5 ohv or something similar in the ohv series. We would run a star but i think the newer ohv engines will make more managable power, not so torquey on and off ...although we havn't totally ruled out the 2 smokers either? I do keep seeing the 2 cycles faster on a loose/slick track but, i think with the right set-up the 4's can be as fast and with a plus in the reliability department! Any ideas> maybe the Honda gx390...supposedly a true 25-30hp is pretty reasonable to get with them? Also, i heard some tracks rules state that the engine can not be larger than a 10hp series? thanks for the reply!

---ron.

expect to spend around $3500 for a briggs 305 and they are not very reliable at this time. the most inexpensive route for you would be a 2 stroke you can find a decent motor for around $1500 and be in the 40 hp. area.

expect to spend around $3500 for a briggs 305 and they are not very reliable at this time. the most inexpensive route for you would be a 2 stroke you can find a decent motor for around $1500 and be in the 40 hp. area.

a 40hp 2 stroke for 1500? ...my research shows a good 100cc expertly tuned by some of those italian weirdoes might make 30ish on an inertia dyno. anyway, are the comet engines still used and competetive? i think i can get one on the cheapoilo? i will build the engine myself so i can save a few bucks and seems i can do the Briggs 305 stroker with billet crank wich seems to cure most of the reliability issues for around $2500 and a pretty badass Honda 390 for around $1800 ..of course thats not including machine work wich, i'll try to do most myself. i really want to build a tunnel port Tecumseh but i'm waiting for availability of some parts?

--- ron.

The SUDAM's are making big hp numbers. I think a stock SUD is close to 40.

I've got a Mike Clements STAR I might be selling in the future. :D

The SUDAM's are making big hp numbers. I think a stock SUD is close to 40.

I've got a Mike Clements STAR I might be selling in the future. :D

Yeah sorrry.. unless you have a Sudam (stock is around 35) 30ish is a strong number. Anyway, if you want to say you make 40hp then it's ok to me :D
As far as the Star, i have a hm100 basically converted to a Star but, i just wanted to start with something different when we make the switch? i'm just weird myself too!

--ron.

Yeah sorrry.. unless you have a Sudam (stock is around 35) 30ish is a strong number. Anyway, if you want to say you make 40hp then it's ok to me :D

--ron.

Heck....Kermit Buller says my stroked, dual carb SUDAM is making 53 hp. ;)

Heck....Kermit Buller says my stroked, dual carb SUDAM is making 53 hp. ;)

ok.. im sure it does on HIS dyno. the newer software/hardware that's being used in the inertia dynos will show quite a bit less than older units...not saying that he is using an olers dyno but?? Nonetheless, a few years back there was a controversy over hp numbers on a MME gx390 mini-cup engine that was kicking everyones butt. MME said they were making 26hp and all the racers that were getting beat by it say thier builders were claiming 32+ and there was no way a 26hp engine was leaving them in the straights..so the track came up with a dyno and the best engine showed 24.5hp and the worst was 20.5.. seems like someone was inflating thier numbers or, was using a different type dyno or, they didn't know to keep in the homework department. anyway, i'm sure anything over 30 is a beast!! thanks.

--ron.

any open 100 will make 33hp. a 116 open will make close to 40, Tobias and kevins 131 sudam will make 53hp. look at the results from cultervill last sat. and see 8 karts in the open class 2 strokes 1 and 2 the rest had stars and were way behind.

I know dyno numbers are in the eye of the beholder, for sure. I can't vouch for my SUDAM, yet. Maybe this weekend I'll get a shot at racing it.

I talked to Clements when he built my STAR about getting a 305 instead. He told me they will make some impressive hp numbers but you've got to rebuild the valve train after 2 or 3 races. You really have to twist one to make it compete with open 2 strokes. You might want to do a search on Bob's, there is suppose to be an even bigger OHV Briggs motor that is being developed into a race motor. I think bear racing was the member name.

Good luck with whatever you build. Hope to see you at Bedrock or Coulterville sometime.

Buller is not the only one claiming hp in the 55 range on their 131 dual carb motors. Hands down, them things are beasts. Now if someone wanted to break in to this class fairly enexpensive but still be competitive, I got a killer deal goin on an 05 Optima w/ a stock Killam yammi. Spare motor, stand, starter, and a pile of misc extras $2250. 913-529-9200 if you are interested. I know you can get some good dyno numbers out of an open or even super stock yammi as well.

outlaw

if you are going to compete in this class you need 2 motors, a 2 smoker for those dry nights where you can keep the r's up to make horse power and a 4 stroke for those nights when the track is heavy and you can use all that raw torque they put out.:D:D:D

yeah, southern outlaw engines make a complete billet ohv engine that is crazy fast and i think is based off the 305 and is apparently very reliable and can revv in the mid 8000.. one of the guys that bought one claims that while racing, he the thought his steering was broke only to find out from the flagman after the win that both front wheels were coming off the ground on the straights... he also claims that the "big" open 2 cycles were no competetion? anyway, i'm just keyboard racing for now ..we'll be in the stocker med's at the salem fair race wed and at jyi in a couple weeks. we'll meet up!

---ron.

Way back in the day I saw a kart wheelie down the straights. It was a pretty cool sight. I don't remember what motor he was running but the chassis was home built.

Here we go again!! HP sell engines,torque wins races, at least thats my opinion when it comes to short track racing. everybody always askes what the HP, what they should be asking is what the hp & Torque. I have talked to Kermit about his 131 sudams. the dyno sheets he showed my show that they do make 53 HP, but the engine only made 18 lbs of Torque! in a very narrow power band. they dyno sheets I have from several different star engines show a range of about 26 to 34 hp & 22 to 32 lbs of torque, in a very flat power band. just some thing for you guys to think about. I have not seen a 2 stroke be dominate on any of the short tracks in this area unless the track had very little or no bite. If I thought 2 strokes would have a advantage I would have one.

The 2 strokes are pretty racy at Coulterville. I'm not sure if a four stroke has won a feature there this year. I know Pork has won the past 2 times he's been there.

Me....I want one of each. :D

Kevin Adney not Pork

Toby, Kevin races that Sudam,Pork is his brother. At JYI it does suite the 2 strokes a little better.It's just a enough banking to keep the R's through the turns.JMO I believe RD has won this year.

I've been calling him Pork forever....:eek:, oops.

I think a 2 stroke can win at Bedrock too. It'll take a different set up but I think it will work.

This past winter I raced a fellow with two SUDAMS and flat wore him out in the heat races. He only used one in the feature, hugged the bottom and made it a drag race from corner to corner. All the ground I could gain in the corners he would take back on the straights.

Back