Fastrak Crates Message for Christmas

racer20

Guys;

This is simple really and sometimes we tend to make things more diffucult. Especially us racers and notice I did say us.

This type of racing is coming. Now or later it is coming. I encourage you to really think about it. The cars are not slow nor do they represent you as such. In some cases they are actually faster becuase you just can't get all that HP on the ground most of the time anyway.

In my opinion we have always based racing on the drivers. Good but only to a point. Its the fans that pay the bills not us. If we don't draw the fans then you simply won't have anywhere to race. I don;t believe your average fan comes to see street stocks. Nothing against Street Stocks becuase there are some pretty darned good drivers in that class and they just cannot afford to move up to a $20k Limited Late Model engine or a $30 Super Late Model engine. REMEMBER THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A HOBBY!!!

You and I can't hardly see 3/10 much less the fans being able to see. We all know that Limiteds and Supers are no different other than one is aluminum and ne is a steel block. I hear people say lets just go with a steel block. There are a lot of different ways to acheive a cubic inch rule. Lots of ways. It takes a lot of money to build a up front steel block engine. If you want to do that I don't but that is not the point. There are a lot of people out there that DON'T or CAN'T do that anymore!! You know what thier options are? Quit or run a lower division.

Someone came on here and posted something about having 12 Supers in a class. Isn't it amazing how we have come to the point that 12 is an acceptable number for a car count? I have been around a long time guys and truct me that is not an acceptable car count. There were days when 20 was a low number anywhere. I mean racing hads gottan larger with Nascar and all but our car counts keep shrinking. SO WHY IS THAT? The less expensive classes seem to be gorwoing. If the track doesn't pay 1200-1500 on a weekly basis to run Supers then you are just nuts for cranking them up period or either you just have a bunch of money to blow. Most Limited classes run for $600-$800. HELLO.

Common sense.

Promoters: Track promoters need to promote. The ones that are successful now are the ones that do just that. Money alone does not get it done. IN most cases drivers are from the local community. Promote then within the local community. Some TV commercials are pretty cheap or at least reasonable. Lots of things can be done. When is the last time you actually saw a program for a local track for local drivers? How do people expect to have local heros if they don't even know who they are? One of the tracks my dad used to run at in 1963 had a local program. Peole still come up to me and tlak about how they used to go to Athens Speedway and watch my dad race. I'm not sure if he know them or not but they sure knew him. heck you know President Busch but you don't really KNOW him!! PROMOTIONS!!!

Series: The Series in the area need to do the same thing. Promote. Why would a track pay them to come there if they don't? What would be different? The Series needs to participate with the local track they are running at to make them both successful. If your Series isn't doing that, and most are not by the way, get someone else!!! How did you learn about us? We have never advertisied in your area. PROMOTING, MARKETING.

Drivers: Hey I was one for longer than most of you so I can say this. Change is not easy but it is needed. The proof is in the pudding. Car counts are lower, fan counts are down and purses are bascially the same as they have been for 10-15 years. Why? Think about it really. The tack owners don't owe you anything. This is a business. It has to make money. WE HAVE TO REMAIN OPEN MINDED. What we have been doing is not working anymore. If tracks don't make mney they become subdivisions. IT AIN'T ROCKET SCIENCE!!!

The cloest track here on a local basis before we started had 2 cars his first crate race. Then 6, then 10, then 12 and now he averages over 22 cars per race and its the best racing there. Side by side and yes a little bumping and sometimes a lot. Now that class is the ony reason his track is surviving. He took a chance. In business you have to. Even water, which has no smell at all,if it sits still long enough will start stinking. You take a chance getting in your car and going to work everyday.

Guys, if you want to spend 30K on engines and go race with twelve cars and you call that racing then go for it. YOU WILL PUT YOURSELF OUT OF BUSINESS EVENTUALLY. The guys with the big money are the very ones that need to help this class get started as a support division so the Super Late Model class can grow again. Wake up, you are not increasing in numbers you are decresing in numbers. Get mad at me if you want. I could care less. I care a lot more about the sport than I do some knucklehead that gets mad at me. Don't you guys want someone to race with?

Spec motors, shoot yea if you are talking about the brodix head deal. They were invented to run with Supers with a weight and spoiler break. They were never intended for a Limited class. Those guys have a good program. Its a good piece. IT IS NOT A LIMITED. Mix the spec cars with the Supers, they will run together, then do crates as your limiteds and all you have done is increase your car count. SIMPLE!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for letting me come on here and chat with you guys. I have to bail out until probably after Christmas. Hopefully we will see you guys one day. Maybe not. THats up to you and your local tracks. Not me. I don't beg for races or for racers. Our program works. Period. It benefits everyone.

For those of you that think I am "what did you say" a snake oil salesman. Call me and lets talk about it in person. What am I supposed to do, run? Hey remember I am a racer too. I am a little to stubborn for that. By the way that was a pretty cheap shot.

Merry Christmas everyone. Remember what it is truly about. Not gifts but family, friends and patience.

If you need me emaiul me direct and I will get back to you.

God Bless and Merry Christmas!!!

Stan

slester@fastrakracing.com

I beleive a spec late model class would explode in this area..too many guys cant afford those 30 grand power plants...and go mod racing. If you need any help spreading the word..holler. I know lots of people who run..or have run race tracks and would like to see this idea get even better by becoming a reality..or..like pitdrifter said....another choice.

racer20 said:
Someone came on here and posted something about having 12 Supers in a class. Isn't it amazing how we have come to the point that 12 is an acceptable number for a car count?

He's right, although some tracks would be thrilled to have 12 LMs.

dirt hound said:
Your Point
You prove your point everytime you post. You're just a bench racer that doesn't know jack unless you read it or you're told.

Why do you think modifieds shows draw so well? Could it be a lot of them can't afford the step up to your precious "Super' Late Models?

I can only think of 5 local or somehwhat local "Super" Late Model racers who would have a snow balls chance in H E LL of making, muchless winning an out of town "BIG SHOW". Those chances would lessen or increase depending on how many "BIG DOGS" are there. Those guys would be Brian Shirley, Rodney Melvin, Randy Korte, Ed Dixon, and Justin Allgeier!!!

The other 99% of the locals would be much better off running a Late Model class such as this or one with rules of this nature.

They could cut their motor bills anywhere from 65-85% and race for the same $1500.

I think if all the area tracks went to these rules, the number of Late Models in the area would increase significantly. Sure there is a possiblity of losing some. But, I think you'd gain that many back and then some.

Leave the "Super" Late Models to the traveling professionals. Local Late Model racing can and should be more affordable.

This Fastrack Series is a traveling series though. But, I'd like to see these rules ran locally. Of course there would be growing pains. UMP had to start somewhere also!!!!!!!!!!

Very well said Race39! I am headed to work talk about this later. Working Saturday s u c k s !!! :D

Yes lets all run out and change the equiptment that we have already got to
1 not only get slower, and 2 put more distance between the local and the traveling racers so they can really come in and clean house every time they are here. If you don't have a invested interest in this racing you might want to sit back and see what the owners/drivers want. Like it or not they are the ones spending thier money to do the racing they love. Not to take away any input from the fans, by all means you cannot race without the fans, but the simple truth is that a racer does not make any money, you do it for the enjoyment of the sport only.
You can say that they will only be 2/10s slower (wrong) on the tacky dirt and berms on IL, MO, and IN get real....That may be true in the south on the hard slick smooth tracks that are that way all season but not here.

fast 51 said:
Yes lets all run out and change the equiptment that we have already got to
1 not only get slower, and 2 put more distance between the local and the traveling racers so they can really come in and clean house every time they are here. If you don't have a invested interest in this racing you might want to sit back and see what the owners/drivers want. Like it or not they are the ones spending thier money to do the racing they love. You can say that they will only be 2/10s slower (wrong) on the tacky dirt and berms on IL, MO, and IN get real....
Only difference is motors. Your motors won't last forever!!!

BTW.... The travelers win all the money now! Except for when 1 of the 5 I mentioned did!

You wouldn't have to worry about the travelers. Their high dollar stuff wouldn't be legal!

fast 51 said:
and 2 put more distance between the local and the traveling racers so they can really come in and clean house every time they are here.
if you want to spend the big bicks to run with or like the big boys go travel with them. like i said, they won't be able to come with their super late models and take they money.

If I had a dollar for every tacky track I seen at feature time(when it counts) after June, I wouldn't be able to pay my way into a track.

Yes in a perfect world every thig you say would be OK, But I garuantee that anytime there is a big show it would be open rules to accodimate the big names drivers. That is what draws the extra people to pay the purse.

RACE39 said:
if you want to spend the big bicks to run with or like the big boys go travel with them. like i said, they won't be able to come with their super late models and take they money.

If I had a dollar for every tacky track I seen at feature time(when it counts) after June, I wouldn't be able to pay my way into a track.

What about the end of the season sept/oct when it starts to get colder? There is a ton of shows then...

RACE39 said:
I think if all the area tracks went to these rules, the number of Late Models in the area would increase significantly. Sure there is a possiblity of losing some. But, I think you'd gain that many back and then some.

If a promoter would be willing to pay a full purse regardless of how small the car count was, and was willing to take the bad publicity of single digit car counts, within a year or two they could possibly have 3-4 heats of crate models every week. But who's going to cut of their nose to spite their face?

Just look at what has happened on nights when car counts got below certain thresholds this past season. MCS cut their purse from 1000-600 to win, while TCS went from 750-500. How many LMs, super,crate, or steeler, are going to consistently run for 500--or less--to win weekly?

And just wait till fans start seeing 6 car LM features--and fans at other tracks get wind of it. Please understand, I mean no offense to support class racers, but most fans don't come to the track to see B-mods and hornets.

Look at what happened when the b mods roled into Godfrey...went from 10 cars a night to over 25. This class will explode..just the guys who are used to spending the bucks for the big powerplants will not like it.....till...they see their at the yearsend bill and see their motor bill cut 2/3's. And for the fans..itll still provide tight..close and yes...fast racing. TCS had a good draw of cars..every week for their purse that doesnt even equal to what this class will. Its a no brainer..in my opinion and race39..well said dude. Let the big names go ahead..run their shows..and..like you said..6 car features..did anyone goto TCS for the WOO event? Wasnt really alot of cars therer for what they were paying.

it ain't the motor the big guys beat you by and who's to say couldn't put one of these powerplants in and still beat yah then what ,but what class really needs it that would apply alot better and would a feeder class fo mods and latemodels

racin90 said:
Look at what happened when the b mods roled into Godfrey...went from 10 cars a night to over 25. This class will explode..just the guys who are used to spending the bucks for the big powerplants will not like it.....till...they see their at the yearsend bill and see their motor bill cut 2/3's.

I just don't see this class happening in this region on a weekly basis, unless it's at tracks like Greenville, Fayette, or Charleston that don't have much of a recent history running LMs weekly.

It's not LMs, but we'll all get a look at a spec motor series when the Focus Midgets run inside the "Mini Magic Mile" next month at DuQuoin.

You say that Brandon..but thats what was said when the b mods rolled in too. I made my point..and its a fact. So..just let see what happens..everything is speculation...and thats bout all that can be said. Ive talked to 5 people..who ran the steelers at tri city and love this idea. And..Mt Vernon guys..seem interested too. Id be nice..to just have another choice..thats all..and promotoers would benefit too.

fast 51 said:
Yes lets all run out and change the equiptment that we have already got

Nobody said to do away with the "supers". The crate class would be a totally different class.

Have A Progressive Pay Scale. The More Cars The More Money. That Way Guys Know They Won't Be Racing For Little Purses Until A Promoters Decides Different. Gotta Start Somewhere.

racin90 said:
You say that Brandon..but thats what was said when the b mods rolled in too. I made my point..and its a fact. So..just let see what happens..everything is speculation...and thats bout all that can be said. Ive talked to 5 people..who ran the steelers at tri city and love this idea. And..Mt Vernon guys..seem interested too. Id be nice..to just have another choice..thats all..and promotoers would benefit too.
Who still runs a B Mod class? Godfrey dropped them for next year. TCS went to A's last year and the car count went up. I'm a little confused, when on the one hand, it is used as an example of how a low budget class can work, and yet the class is getting dropped in favor of A's?:confused: :confused:

Back