ford diesel

pitman56

i have a 1990 ford diesel 7.3 it started running real rough. i have changed the fuel filter. i know nothing about these motor and am total lost here. it don't have power like it use to either. any help would be great.

just talked to a guy and he said it my be the injectors. now do i have to replace the one that is bad or can you clean them out? also how do you now which one is bad? and what do i clean them with? if you can

I do not know when ford turbo charged the 7.3 but if it has a turbo the turbo could be bad or the waste gate could be stuck open. If no turbo verify that the fuel pump that pushes to the injector pump is working. Also check the bleeder on the fuel filter and make sure there is not any air their you could have a leak that is allowing air into the system this will also make it run rough. One more thing to try is purge the water separator it could have water in it but light is not coming on. Andy

is the injectors ran electronically or by inj pump? The 7.3 with electronic injection system is known to have problems with the driver module for the injectors. Also, check the air filter. If the deisel does not get proper air, they will not run well, or pull. Please post your findings or ant other questions.

Matt

diesel

ok first off it is a inj pump and it is not a turbo. i didn't get a chance to work on it yesterday because one of the t's on the fuel line (the line that goes on top of the injectors broke, not forsure what it is called) so i had to wait until the part came in yesterday afternoon. i work 3rds so i had to try and get some sleep before i went in. plan on puting the rest of the fuel line or what ever it is on this afternoon. ok time for some ?, how do you purge the water out of the separator? and how do you get the air out of the line? i have put a new air filter on it as well as a fuel filter to.this is my first dealing with a diesel so pleas bare with me. thanks rich

help

Ok now I know you dont have a turbo sometime in the 90s the 7.3 was turbocharged all diesels have a injector pump (except some of the newer motors). I had a mid 80s 7.3 and my water supperator was on the firewall in front of the driver side. My fuel filter was top front of the motor on the passanger side. It had a schradder valve (tire valve) on the side of it and I just had to unscrew the cap and push in on the valve. The water supperator had a ring connected to a valve stem that you pulled strait up. In some bad times you will have to loosen up fuel lines on top of the injectors to bleed to air out. Sorry I dont have more info specific to a 90.

thats cool..........you are giving me some good advice and hopefully the thing will be running again real soon. thanks rich

thanks

got done with putting the rest of the fuel lines on and clean out the cdr on it and it seams to be running better. idel is still a little rough but when going down the road it smoothes out and runs great. i got some diesel clean and put in the tank to clean out my injectors and lines so hopfully it will smooth out at idel. it is still running a lot better then it did. thanks to every one that help out. rich

1 thing to note as well..i dont know where you get your diesel...but the bio diesel(and..watch it..the cheapo places will mix the bio in with the reg diesel..trust me i know due to the fact i work on a fleet of diesel trucks..and we found this to be totally a problem) has a tendency to form what the diesel sellers call a fungus. Goto any dealer..or person who sells diesel additives. They can direct you to the product needed to nuetralize the fungus...if thats what you have. Only way to tell really is to sample your fuel..id pull the fuel filter off..or..drain a fuel line into a perfectly clear jar..and wont take long to tell if thats what it is...because the fuel will be like a charcoal color..with gooey things floating in it.

fuel

thanks for the info. i am working on my thrd filter now. the first one was a mess. it wasn't black but it did have stuff floating in it. tha second one was much better. i am thinking it was bad fuel and i have added some diesel kleen to it. it seams to be running alot better now with a little rough ideling at idel. dons't smoke as much as it did then either. i hope it this will clear it up. thanks rich

update

well it was still idealing rough, so i went through the fuel lines and found three injectors that where not working so i replaced them. at 50$ a pop i will buy two a week until i get all replaced. as far as the three injectors that i pulled out, they where a mess. had the black goo looking stuff on them and really dirty. i just hope that the diesel kleen in the fuel will clean out the pump. thats a 500 dead presdents that i don't have right now. thanks to all that help. rich

well pretty much back to square one........ need a injector pump for it now. anybody no of a good place that deals these kinda parts. i want to stay away from dealerships if i can.

pitman56 said:
well pretty much back to square one........ need a injector pump for it now. anybody no of a good place that deals these kinda parts. i want to stay away from dealerships if i can.
Well..im sure that you have contaminated fuel..its eating your parts. Make sure..you get some good additive..from a dealer..id recommend..just because too many fakes out there. As far as injector pumps for a ford...dealer really is only way to go. Ive had nightmares from other parts stores...sorry.

Did you put that bio desiel in your truck.Bio Desiel will ruin a fuel system in an older truck.Bio desiel has a cleaning agents in it and it breaks up all the rust and dirt and sends it to the pump and injectors.My friend just had to rplace every thing from the tanks to the trottlebody.Including the lines.

Aaron P said:
Did you put that bio desiel in your truck.Bio Desiel will ruin a fuel system in an older truck.Bio desiel has a cleaning agents in it and it breaks up all the rust and dirt and sends it to the pump and injectors.My friend just had to rplace every thing from the tanks to the trottlebody.Including the lines.
Yea..thats what im thinking. Our whole fleet of trucks got slammed with that bio diesel..spent a fortune to get them all ligned out. Its a nationwide issue and the goverment has done nothing about this..meanwhile..all the guys running diesel..pay pay pay.

i usually get my fuel at the same place everytime. until i stated haveing problems. i talk to the owner and she told me that it is the same diesel they have always have. i was told on another fourm that i need to get my diesel from a place that has a good turn around, so i went to the other place here in town. do they tell you it is this bio-diesel or do they just put it in the same tank and let you figure it out yourself?????

pitman56 said:
i usually get my fuel at the same place everytime. until i stated haveing problems. i talk to the owner and she told me that it is the same diesel they have always have. i was told on another fourm that i need to get my diesel from a place that has a good turn around, so i went to the other place here in town. do they tell you it is this bio-diesel or do they just put it in the same tank and let you figure it out yourself?????
You want the politicians answer..or..the truth?? Lol...technically..they are SUPPOSED to tell you and label it as bio..but..low and behold with the diesel prices fluctuating ect...they have been known to mix them. We..like i said..found this out the hard way( and yes...we told our drivers...dont get bio..never!! Our fuel cards are for stations that supposedly donot pump it). We have talked to the local goverment about this issue...red tape..might get something done in the next..oh...20 years..lol. I know..doesnt make your problem any better..sorry..but..thats what is going on and yes...goto a station with a big turn around..stay away from the smaller mom and pop stations. Good luck

Call truck centers..freightliner dealer near you...they have the additive we use for the fungus that is created..and it works 100 percent.

thanks for the info. i got a friend that works at truck center in troy il. and i will see if he can pick me up some of that stuff. thanks again.

the situation will get better once your tank and filter is cleaned out, bio works as a cleaning agent when it is first inturdeced in the system. im a parts guy for a heavy duty parts place and we had people cloging filters left and right but we were told by the chemical companys that just let it run it course and it would be better but they do make a addative to help with the problem.

Back