Ford rearends under Chevy trucks are illegal

Millsey

I've been hearing some rumblings about people using Ford rearends under Chevy pickups. Folks, that's illegal and has always been illegal. We had that situation come up during our second year of existence when we had a truck get the rearend ripped out during an accident at Fredericktown. The question came up and it was immediately discussed and voted down. That's one place where you always heard about the Ford to Ford, Chevy to Chevy rule.

Remember the golden rule when it comes to our rules: If it's not specifically listed as an EXEMPTION then it's considered to be stock.

No I'm not wrong. This has been a subject well discussed over the years. Anyone running a Ford rearend in a Chevy is illegal. These are mini stocks and not sportsmen or street stocks. We have NEVER ALLOWED THAT!

Now, ask me if I think they should be allowed... Hell yes... But I also believe you should be able to run the 2.3 Ford engine and transmissions in the Chevy trucks. It would make them more durable and even more competitive. But those are rules that would have to be passed and allowed for next year and beyond. I realize that basically all races are being run for the RAMS this year at MCS, however it is still my understanding that RAMS rules are still the ones being utilized and if that is the case then those specific rearends we were discussing would not be allowed.

Millsey said:
Remember the golden rule when it comes to our rules: If it's not specifically listed as an EXEMPTION then it's considered to be stock.

Jeff, I am not saying I like it but Joe is correct. the Rule only states you may have a locked rear end nothing about having a ford to ford and Chevy to Chevy. As for the GOLDEN RULE, it no longer exisist. It believe it was voted out 2 years ago.

rear ends

i agree with duck, rear end in the rules does not say chevy to chevy, ford to ford.

Well just incase anyone starts trying to guess who's doing the rumbling I figured I'd go ahead and clear my name from that list. I don't even know Millsey's number. HEHE Honestly I don't care what the RAMS rules are or what anyone is running there. For the money my $1000 motor runs pretty decent against what's out there. I was there when someone was checking it out and then the truck was tarped. LOL.. I thought that was pretty funny and asked Jim if he was just trying to keep his fuel cool. I was there in the conversation that was going on, but as far as causing any rumblings...it wasn't me.

And it's not a guilty conscience or anything. It's just that the week before Jim told me about his rearend and I was there when the truck was being observed from a distance...kind of... so figured I'd get thrown in there cause maybe the other guy was not known by Jim.

So anyways...see you big dawgs labor day weekend.

Folks it's real simple, once again with the rules unless it shows an EXEPTION it is considered to be STOCK! You can't just read into the rules whatever you want.

Like I said earlier, it's sure not that I'm in favor of that rule, it's just that those are the given facts. We've had precident in the situation before and it sure wouldn't be fair to the guys who have been running under the guidelines that were presented just to help out a situation that has come along now. Next year those rules can be changed since the two-year rules freeze will be over, but for right now those rearends would be illegal.

I talked with Jon Reando (tech man) and J.J. Johnson (tech man) and both said those rearends would be illegal. And since the incident I earlier mention involved Shannon Burch (tech man) I would suspect he also would agree that say it would be illegal.

LOL...yeah right!! I don't think I've called you in at least 2 years... But maybe it's time I did! Cause it might take the both of us to straighten out Marty!

Can not tell you about Doe Run, but as far as the RAMS it is legal (that is the official RAMS standing on the subject)

Joe, a tech man just enforces the rules that are established by the members. I'm not trying to create a problem, but it's something that needs to be more thoroughly discussed by the members.

UPDATE: I talked with Shannon Burch this morning (tech man) and he also stated that putting a Ford rearend under a Chevy S-10 is illegal. He was the vice president of the RAMS that established the latest updated rules. So do you see why I would have thought putting a Ford rearend under a Chevy was illegal..... It's because it is.

How about a Franklin rear end in a Nissan pick up...
I found one of those with several sets of gears....
Can't find any Nissan rear ends with the right ratio for MCS

Now Bob....you trying to pull a "quick" one on us...litterally...you can't use no quick change rear end....But then again it is RAMS rules. hehe

Here you go Bob....slap it in there!

Attachments

• franklin rearend.jpg
    franklin rearend.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 186
Wheel21 said:
Honestly I don't care what the RAMS rules are or what anyone is running there. For the money my $1000 motor runs pretty decent against what's out there. I was there when someone was checking it out and then the truck was tarped. LOL.. I thought that was pretty funny and asked Jim if he was just trying to keep his fuel cool.

So anyways...see you big dawgs labor day weekend.

Makes a person wonder if those guys are getting all the bang for their buck.

Just goes to show ya that you can't buy driving ability.

By the way, are sliders legal???:confused:

Important Note #5 amazingly disappeared but I don't recall it getting voted out.

let's break the rule down?

Rules that mention rear ends:

19. Locked rear ends allowed

20. Weight jacks allowed. Car or truck must use same type suspention that it came out with.....OK will stop here!

This rule says nothing to the fact that you must use chevy to chevy and ford to ford what it says is that you must use leaf spring if it came out with or coil spring if it came out with. These are the "TYPES" of suspensions. And its not that I agree or disagree, this is the rule!

We have the same problem with a certain dual shock set up! And I would say I think that is illeagal but the rule was stated that it just had to be the same "TYPE" of suspention.

My oppinion there are real big gaps in the rules and these rule need to be gone through and cleared up on these matters. So for now these people are leagal.

And just for the record all three of our cars have ford rear ends in our ford cars.

Back