Former racers who have died

Racerrod

racerrod
Under another topic we were discussing trivia and someone mentioned that Mopar Mike Sonderman was no longer living and that blew me away. I had never heard that but since I was away from the track for a few years there are probably others that are no longer with us.

Can you list some former area dirt racers who have died in the last 20 years or so?

I'll start the topic with #23 Steve Soltziak who raced and won many sportsman races at the Charlie Bowl during the 80's. I am not sure how he died but he has been gone for about 15 or more years. I went to school (FZN) with Steve Soltziak Jr. and wonder where he is today.

RacerRod

Of course we all remember Pappy Don Gray died while racing at St. Charles Speedway. He had a heart attack at the wheel of his car during a race. What a sad night that was for all us SCS fans! I used to attend the Allied Banquets and I remember one time sitting next to Don and his lovely wife (name?) and they were always so pleasant to be around. He certainly loved racing and we miss him for sure. I didn't know Doc Ebert was no longer with us either. Thank you racer14k for your addition. Can you say how he died? I remember him well!

RacerRod

Doc Ebert Died At The Wheel Also At I55 During A Play Day Several Years Ago. I Believe A Heart Attack Also. If I'm Wrong Loren, Please Correct Me.

I didn't know Bill Hughes died, what year did he pass? Grant Dodge who raced at I55 and Lake Hill passed away earlier this year if memory serves me correctly.

John Barr
The Trashdog

Trashdog, I Used To Go To The Lion's Club On The Outter Road In Imperial Before It Closed. There Was A Gal Named Cathy There. Through Conversation See Said Her Dad Used To Race And Was Bill Hughes. I Said "mr. Personality"(like Glenn Jacoby Used To Call Him) And She Said Yes. About 6 Months Later She Said He Died. Thats Been 1 1/2-2 Years Ago.

Chuck Nelson raced, wrenched, officiated and towed at TCS for many years. He had a towing company in Edwardsville and died of a heart attack at the beginning of summer.

Yes Grant Dodge did die early this year. I never met Grant but I have heard alot of storys about him from a old friend of his that is a good friend of mine.

Bill Goodall who raced at Highland in the 60's and 70's passed away last year. And as posted elsewhere Lenny Baumgartner passed away a couple weeks ago.

Back