Highland pill draw for 2004.

INTERCEPTOR-2w

Not sure when Highland plans on having a rules meeting for the 2004 season but one thing at the track that needs to change is the pill draw. The current system with it's crusty matchbooks is archaic and shady at best. Somehow the same drivers defy the law of averages each week and mysteriously draw a number that puts them in the first or second row for their heat race. Simple math proves that this is impossible, unless you factor in backroom business practices of course. With track position as crucial as it is and the short duration of the heat races, if the fastest car starts on the pole then that guy is going to win. Shocker eh? Some of you might argue and say that the fastest car should win every time, but I disagree. Fast cars and fast drivers are two very different things. The bottom line is that there needs to be a lottery ball or raffle style pill draw that eliminates any chance of fixing the grid. Good luck to all competing next year at Highland.
-2w

Simple math proves that this is impossible, unless you factor in backroom business practices of course.

The pill draw has always been done honestly and fairly at Highland Speedway. How would I know? I have done the draw for the past two years.

Leigh Ann Wells

i thought that they drawed fur ordur two go out too kualify to bee put in a heet race an thee lotery isnt fair caus i hav ben buyin lotery ticketts fur years an i hav not won a millon dollars yet seams lik sum body dont get thier way then they r mad an wont two comeplane

2W that was an ignorant statement. I have watched a ton of fast car draw high #'s and I have seen noone who has started at the front in every heat they were in.

duckhunter, they only do it that way for LM's every other class starts their heats by the pill draw #.

The easiest way is to use bingo balls and have a drivers meeting and everyone get there number there. Then no one could complain about things being fair. Just a thought I'll see next year when i start racing up there.

Originally posted by INTERCEPTOR-2w
The current system with it's crusty matchbooks is archaic and shady at best. Somehow the same drivers defy the law of averages each week and mysteriously draw a number that puts them in the first or second row for their heat race. Simple math proves that this is impossible, unless you factor in backroom business practices of course.

There is no law of averages. You have a random sample with the probability of drawing a certain number being 1 / totalNoOfPills. In any pill draw there is room for backroom dealings. With a pill draw there is no way of getting around it. Even the bingo type systems are corruptable.

I HAD A DOG NAMED BINGO ONCE,,I DONT THINK HE WOULD LIKE FOLKS MESSING WITH HIS BALLS JUST TO LINE UP RACE CARS (my sic humor for the day),,,SPEAKING OF MY FAVORITE RACE TRACK,,ON THE LAST NIGHT OF RACING,THE 5K SHOW,DID ANY OF THE LMs THAT RAN THE CONSI AND MISSED THE SHOW GET PAID? ALSO IM ALL FOR THE PILL DRAW AS I SUC AT QUALIFING,,,,,,,

Not sure what you mean when you say there is no law of averages? There is, and it should provide each driver with a fair shot at starting up front. You can argue all day but I started keeping track last year and I can promise you there was more than chance involved in the lineup each week. I am not about to call out any drivers but I will say this. Too much time, money, and effort goes into putting a racecar on the track for each driver not to get a fair shake. Rummaging for matchbooks is ridiculous. If the system is so fair and corruption free, then it shouldn't need to be feverishly defended. It needs to be replaced with something, anything, more advanced and out in the open. Check around with other tracks. They don't use matchbooks!

Originally posted by INTERCEPTOR-2w
You can argue all day but I started keeping track last year and I can promise you there was more than chance involved in the lineup each week.

At Mt. Vernon they use the bingo ball system and get the same complaints and the late models all even draw at the same time. Guess what ... they still complain on a weekly basis just goes to show you can't make everyone happy.

I find it amusing that you've posted 2 posts and both are bashing Highland's pill draw. Do you even race there? If so, why didn't you inquire about this during the season when you say you can promise there was more than chance going on?

Since you are keeping such good track, my suggestion would be for you to apply for a job in the pit shack for the 2004 season since there is an opening.

I don't have to defend my actions, because I never have nor never will cheat for any driver, but it infuriates me that stupid is as stupid does and ignorant posts like this one end up on this message board after the season is over ... makes me glad in 2004 I'm only responsible for the website :)

Have a nice day ...

Leigh Ann Wells

I picked high numbers all year!! No one helped me get them! I picked from the bottom,the side,and the top and they were allways high numbers. Think the ball system will work? Not saying anything was going on at Highland but don't you think you could roll twice ? Some guys have luck at the draw and some don't!! I do not believe any thing was going on during the pill draw!! I do agree that it was hard to win from the back. All the cars were fast and evenly matched alot of follow the leader. Who are the tear down men for next year?Anyone know??? Danny

2w,
You know, its one thing to disagree with calls made by officials, decisions made by promotors, etc.. But to come on a public forum with a screen name and accuse Leigh Ann of cheating, well, thats just more than a little out of order. Thats a personal insult to her integrity, and I for one think you owe her an apology. I dont hear a single other voice on here or anywhere else agreeing with you, so maybe the problem is not the system, but your attitude. And by the way, the matchbook system is used at TCS too. Like Danny said, any system is corruptable, but I dont think for a minute that Leigh Ann is.

Enjoy your retirement Leigh Ann.

T

I don't understand why people always have to accuse other people of cheating. Get a life, we drew some really good numbers this year and we drew some really crappy numbers this year. How could bingo balls have made a difference in that??
I just think ya need to get a life and get over it!
Just my opinion and I really don't care if ya don't like it!!!

Terri:D

Like most complaints at Highland this one has fallen on deaf ears. If the point I have made is so ludicrous and uncalled for, then please stop adding responses to this thread. Let me clarify though that I made no such accusations at any single individual (i.e. Leigh Ann, whom I don't even know) - End of discussion.

If Leigh Ann is the one who does the pill draw, then you are accusing her!! But just go ahead and hide behind a user name instead of bringing it up at the track where it might make a difference!!!!!!

Whats ludicrous is you slamming Leigh Ann a month after the season on here. And just in case you hadnt noticed, this isnt the Highland Speedway forum, its a general Stlracing forum. Yes, no one is listening, because apart from talking a load of crap, your not bringing it up at the right time and place for anyone to listen.

Tell ya what, you want to be heard? When Highland has its rules/drivers preseason meeting, you make sure you sit right up front, and when they ask if anyone has anything to say, you can stand right up and say that you think that last years pill draws were rigged. Yupper, you just stand right up to your full height in front of everyone, and in a loud and clear voice, say "the pill draw needs to be changed, because I dont think I was given a fair draw last year at all, I think it was rigged in favor of certain drivers."

Now, you do that, and I guarantee your complaint will not be falling on "deaf ears."

:D :D :D :D :D

Back