How to get started?

ls1car

I want to start racing in this class. To start I have no real racing experience but in a straight line. Should I buy a complete car? I just want something decent to race for a season or two and upgrade. I dont care about being competitive just getting into it. What are some of the hidden cost? Is this a growing class? I want to run in Tri -citys regular friday program. How much does it cost to enter? Also what fuel is used in these cars? I saw on the site it said race gas but could be tested any time so what do they want you to run? Also do you think I am nuts? thanks

i have a complete car turnkey with all the goodies on the classifieds i just ran it saturday at mcs the car is very fast..you can call me at 314-471-3197

I do not race late models, however I have been around racing forever. Your wallet is the thing that will guide you through this. The best way to get into any racing is finding someone who is done and buy out thier complete operation. Too often someone finds a rolling chassis and the price is attractive, however by the time they are done buying the support equipment and spares they are in way deeper than buying someone out.
I have done it both ways and by far I came out ahead buying someone out.
If you know any late model guys ask them questions, racers all tend to want to help out someone getting started.
Good luck
Jeff

yes that seems to be true I found a bunch of rollers but also think buying a complete one will be cheaper. I found a guy that is getting out of it and selling alot of spare parts with the car for a decent price turn key. What kind of support equipment do I need? thanks

Again I do not race late models, however I am certain a lot of things are common.
I would think a minimum of 2 extra RR tires and wheels, 3 LR wheels and tires, to acheive different stagger for changing track conditions. an electric or good air impact wrench, lots of shock absorbers, again to tune for changing track conditions. Tire bead breaker, grooving iron, a good tire gauge.etc. etc. etc.

You have asked for advice, my question to you is have you considerd an entry level class to learn the skills of driving a circle track car? The people running at the late model level have worked through the ranks to hone their skills to race at the level of a late model. I promise you it is harder than it looks from the stands. While you are going through the learning curve and messing up the guys that are on that level can be frustrating for all concerned.
Just an opinion, again good luck
Jeff

I pick up things pretty quick. I wish I had a friend or someone that did racing for advice. I thought about a different class but something that runs around here. I am in Ofallon Mo and was hoping to run at tri city every friday to start. If I am that slow I will just pull off the track. I am open to any opinions on where to start. I need to try and call my uncle he helped ray walsh back in the day. I use to pick mud of the car, not the funniest thing but as a kid it was ok.

I have a complete race ready proven winner 04 Rayburn with 604 I will sell for 12,000 can see pics on MCS website car has all the good pieces and never bent. PM me if interseted.

Back