Mcs

DRTLVNGRL

MCS...Do it in the dirt
Is anyone else unhappy with MCS after Saturday night??? First of all, they don't qualify BMods and Street Stocks, b/c of a time issue, then they make the DRIVERS go out and water the track...then the track was so slimy in 1 & 2 the AMods had to pack in the track again...I understand that the water truck broke down and all, but still... The heat races didn't even start until 8:15pm, the LM count was five, didn't even run a dash... There were 30+ B-Mods, personally I feel they should have gotten to qualify due to so many cars! They ended up tearing some stuff up! I love MCS, but in my opinion, Saturday night was just a joke...hopefully next Saturday will run a little more smoothly...

MCS only had 5 late models Saturday night? Kinda sounds like a Benton deal there. Hope it's not a ongoing weekly thing that's happening with the late models.

What a crybaby!!! They didn't do exactly what I wanted them to do.... First of all MCS is one of FEW that qualifies the various classes anyway. And the water truck didn't break down it was involved in an accident. This was a unique situation. From what I understand they tried to make the best out of a bad situation, so instead of bashing people for things they couldn't control why not praise all the drivers and the track people for busting their butts to try and get water to the track... We had 13 new drivers at the track and NOT ONE of them complained. Maybe you should have taken your complaint directly to Mel, I'm sure he would take the time to explain to you what happened.

Restate

I was not trying to bash the track or Mel, I love MCS and I think Mel does a great job with the track, I was just stating that Saturday did not run smoothly as it normally does and it just was not as good of night as it normally is...The RAMS were great, the fans seemed to love watching them and the races themselves were good. I was just voicing my opinion on a couple of problems I saw. I did not know the truck was in an accident, I had heard people stating that it was broken. Yes, it was great that the racers were willing to help out and water the track to be able to race and such...I was not trying to be a "crybaby", didn't mean for it to come across that way, just venting my opinion. You are right, they are one of the few tracks that qualify all divisions, and that is one reason a lot of guys like racing there, it was just ashame that they did not get to qualify this past weekend...

Well, I would like to say that it's pretty much a joke there every week. Mel or Del do not want to listen to what anyone has to say. So Milsey for you to say go talk to Mel, Thats a losing battle. I have raced there for the last 3 years, and have gotten screwed many a nights, along with other drivers, who have tried to talk to Mel.......Here is the only thing Mel ever says, you dont like it go somewhere else. Well his car counts are showing that people are doing just that. They raise general admission $2.00 more and then stick it to the drivers another $5.00 more, lowers his payout, and has terrible track preperation everyweek. After going there everyweekend since the place opened, I am going elsewhere on Sat. nights. If it wasn't for Craig out there, the place would not fuction at all. Mel needs to wake up, and go check out some other tracks nearby and see how they run a race track.....

I guess when I complained about the track a few weeks ago there were others who did feel the same. As the weeks go on is the track fair for everyone now?

The track was smooth and very fast on Sat. The truck breaking down was not much of a help but the drivers and the bucket brigade did come to the rescue. I myself didn't think it would work but they did a good job of getting the track ready to race on.

I think the $2.00 a gallon gas is hurting MCS more than any thing else. Spending huge sums of money to tow a car to a race will have a big impact on a car count.

I remember racing in the 70's with a killer recession going on, tracks were doing all kinds of things to survive. I remember Lake Hill running Late Models and Allied Modifieds together.

John Barr
The Trashdog

Yeah

Trashdog said:
I think the $2.00 a gallon gas is hurting MCS more than any thing else. Spending huge sums of money to tow a car to a race will have a big impact on a car count.

I'll agree to that, only complaint about the track here is the 2 hours of pavement between it and the shop :(

I don't think its a latemodel class problem. While MCS and ATPR had a handfull of cars each, I-55 had 26 or 27 with Ed Dixon taking home the money, they said Poplar Bluff had 24 with Terry Eglish taking the money, Mt Vernon had 13 or 14, with it going to Billy Faust. I have not heard about Highland, and don't know if that is good or bad for Mt Vern, I don't know what KLMS did this week, but I think its just a matter of people choosing where they want to go. Maybe the location for MCS is not good for where latemodel racers live, or something else is keeping cars at other tracks.

Dean KLMS had WoO Sprints there with Late Models as the support. Kinda surprised me that English was at PPB.

I'm not a business man, but I know one thing. If I were running a facility like MCS, knowing that you're not in the best location and that gas prices are as high as they are right now, I'd be trying my best to make sure that the customer was always right. Now I know that you can't just hand money to people and some things just aren't possible, but a little reasoning, open minded discussion, and yes, maybe even a little butt kissing will go a long way.

Seems to me that MCS is the only one that "really" stands to loose anything here. True, the fans and drivers will be missing out on racing at such a great track, but when it's all said and done racing will go on, and other tracks will attract the cars and spectators with or without MCS.

If what has been said is true, my "uneducated" advice would be to take care of the people that are taking care of you. Just seems to be the only way to make things work. Please your patrons, explain your reasons, and do it all with a smile on your face.

The Tracks Was Fast And Smooth As Trashdog Said Earlier... And As Far As Qualifying Goes, Yes It Is Fun, From A Racers Stand Point But Going By The Pill Draw Doesn't Hurt Either. As A Racers I Wouldn't Mind Switching Back And Forth... I Like Qualifying But I Also Like Passing Cars When I Don't Get The Greatest Pill And Have To Start In The Back. I Have Fun Both Ways... It Isn't Always Fun To Start And Finish At The Same Spot, Unless You Are In The Front... It Was Really Great To See All The Racers Join Together To Help Mel Get The Track Ready When The Water Truck Broke Down... As Far As The Pay Out Goes I Don't Think Any Of The Pay Out Has Decreased Since The Place Has Opened.... I Know The Point Fund Has Increased.. Mel Does Stay Around After The Races And Talks With Everyone That Wants To Share Ideas With Him. Hope To See Everyone There Next Weekend

5 is a small car count........ask Mike Hammerle where he is racing at this yr (Mount Melvin). He lives in Charley Town so dont say its a 2.00 a gal reason. The reason MCS has such a low car count is MEL. Its time for him to wake up and smell the coffee.

So what has he done to chase people away because the 50+ cars he has in the Modifieds (A and B combined) suggests he's doing something right.

I would like to know the real reason Hammerle and Rumble chose to go to other tracks. MCS is turning out to be a modified track which is'nt that bad but if you're paying $12 you expect to see at least ten late models. As far as the water truck, that was a situation that could'nt be avoided. I heard it dropped a drive shaft so they just made the best of a bad situation. Five late models REALLY hurts though. Makes you wonder. :confused:

MCS has raised its prices on every item this season (sure hope Mel didnt do it to give the Loud Mouth more income :eek: ) I plan on checking the other Sat night races out, untill MCS gets its program back on the right track. When Local drivers start driving 2 hours to race something is wrong. (Hope Mel's pride and EGO lets him fix it soon)

i saw ken rumble, terry james and rod bailey at granite saturday nite. werent they montgomery racers last year?

jaded said:
i saw ken rumble, terry james and rod bailey at granite saturday nite. werent they montgomery racers last year?
Rumble and James were there last year and I don't know about Bailey. I wish that things were'nt tailing off at MCS because it's a really nice track. Steve Long, a mod driver made a comment about the track being rough every time. Too much stuff getting tore up. Maybe thats why everyones going else where. Mel's a pretty good guy but maybe others have a problem with the way he runs the track. With out Hammerle and Rumble there each week, thats three late models [counting Landrum in Hammers other car] that are'nt there. Those guys had a good fan following at MCS because they stuck with the track. Now I'm wondering whats going on. If anyone talks to Hammer or Rumble, ask them about it and post.

Back