Micro Sprints & USAC Midgets this weekend at DuQuoin!

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Saturday January 15th:

Winged 600cc OUTLAW MICRO SPRINTS
Heat Races 2:00p.m. Trophy Dash and Features 6:00 p.m. CST

Sunday January 16th:

USAC FORD FOCUS Midgets –Winged 600cc OUTLAW MICRO SPRINTS Heat Races: Micros 11:00a.m.
Ford Focus Midgets 2:00p.m.
Features begin at 3:45p.m. CST

Grandstand Admisson each day: Adults $15.00 Children 5 to 11 $8.00 under 4years free

is there any pictures of this track? and will there be any big guys there? or just all local? thanks

I am a 18 year old kid trying to get a ride for this race. I would love to get in the seat of a mini sprint or midget. I have raced before, last year in a street stock, this year i will be in a late model. I have always wanted to try and race one. my website is randymyers.doublej.us if anyone is interested post back on here and i will get back with you thanks

WOW! Midgets and micro sprints on the mile!!!! LOL! Where are they racing in DuQuoin? Can't possibly be on the big track. Didn't know there was anything else in DuQuoin. Indoor track?

it's the indoor track, i think it's outside turn 1 of the mile. micro's on the mile!!! now, that's funny!!! i just wish this was a real midget race. not the focus cars. o well.

to racer 15... rides are available all the time, just takes upfront cash. have a pocket ful, and start up and down the pits. somebody will bite, i'm sure. for an unknown young man to get his feet wet, that is the quickest way. good luck.

I can assure you that the Focus Midgets will allow plenty of exciting action!!!
the motors are cheap and sealed, they will make the racing a lot of fun to watch

I just want to make sure....are these races going to be held this weekend..8th and 9th or next weekend 15th and 16th?

it's a gimmee that the micros are gonna turn faster lap times and provide better racing than the focus cars. notice i said focus cars, not focus midgets. although they are similar looking, i cannot get myself to call these cars midgets. i wonder why they posted the micro payout, but not the focus payout. hmmm... could it be because the focus cars will run for next to nothing(compared to the REAL midgets??) by jobe.. i think you're on to something there, watson!!! hehe.

Very nice looking facility! Love to make it down there for that event but I'll be playing poker both days. Can't wait for March though!!!!! And just for the record, I didn't seriously think that they would run on the mile. LOL!

Art,
Don't the Focus Midgets use the exact same chassis that a "real" Midget would use?

That would be like saying that we don't race "real" Quarter Midgets because it's powered by a Honda engine not a Deco engine.
I guess we race Quarter Honda cars. ;)

Ron

Ron,
I am glad you made that point... I was really wanting to say something, but you know how defensive those MARA guys are these days:D

Also, I found a posted payout on USAC's website for the Focus Cars at DuQuoin.
A-Main $1000.00 to win, $100.00 to start, feature purse is $3900.00
Heat race purse is $300.00
Semi feature purse is $792.00
Total Payout is $4992.00
Looks like a "real" good payout for any kind of Midget to me.

real good payout???not hardly... billy, you aren't running your midget in the 80s anymore.maybe at 1 time that was a 'real good payout', but this payout is below MARA's minimum. this is 2005... gotta keep up with the times. :D :D :D art.

ron... as far as the exact same chassis for the focus cars and a real midget, i have heard they are different. i have not inspected a focus car to verify this, but this is what i have heard... the focus chassis is lighter, because the focus motor is only about 200-225 hp, where a real motor is up arond 390-420. also there are differences to accomodate the battery, starter, and clutch on a focus. again, this is what i have heard. i have not seen this with my own eyes. i can see where you can draw several parrallels with the honda/deco thing and the focus/ midget thing, but in my way of thinking, you have to keep this in mind; there is no money to be won at any QMA event,but there is at a midget event. midget orginizations have worked hard over the past 50 years or so to make 'purses' decent, and slowly the promoters were beginning to make more $ available. it wasn't great strides by any means, but some progress was being made. then comes the focus deal; these guys were running for peanuts by comparison, and taking races away from real midgets, because promoters could advertise 'midgets' for a fraction of what they normally pay for a real midget race. in the quarter midgets, tha honda's didn't take any races away from the deco guys, just a special class was made for the deco guys. the honda engined cars came in, and it made for a nice, lower cost fit. all this was before my time in qma, so feel free to correct me if i am wrong on my info.maybe the deco guys grumbled about the hondas coming in; i dunno... but, like i said... the decos were all given a special class, so it didn't cost them any races, and didn't undermine what had been done in prior years. art.

Back