Montgomery county ump or not?

Racer17v

I heard Mel has not signed a contract with ump yet for this season just wondering whats going to happen and if I need to find another track to race at

we also heard talk of mel at the columbia swap meet saying montgomery will going to limited late models full time next season,this was great news for us and hope it is true....

I am sorry but I have been around racing a long time and if he gets away from ump he wont be able to keep the track open very long because he wont have any cars there are to many other tracks in the local vacinity that are racing on saturday nights what irratates me is that I just sent in for my ump membership paid my $75 and now he dont know what he is going to do. He needs to learn to communicate a little better because if he has no cars he has no track and the street stock guys are ticked anyway. I love racing at his track but I hate dealing with the every year crap that goes with it . I just wish he would make a decision about what hes going to do.

Racer17v said:
I am sorry but I have been around racing a long time and if he gets away from ump he wont be able to keep the track open very long because he wont have any cars there are to many other tracks in the local vacinity that are racing on saturday nights what irratates me is that I just sent in for my ump membership paid my $75 and now he dont know what he is going to do. He needs to learn to communicate a little better because if he has no cars he has no track and the street stock guys are ticked anyway. I love racing at his track but I hate dealing with the every year crap that goes with it . I just wish he would make a decision about what hes going to do.

I think there are only a handfull of drivers at MCS that hold UMP Membership the vast majority just come to the track and race for the track points and don't participate in the regional series.

For 2005 the plans are to continue operating as a UMP track.

John Barr
The Trashdog

Montgomery County UMP

You know the only time they get a good UMP count is if another track get rained out. You know if you race on Friday night and your car gets tore up ( and you hope it does not ) you dont have much time to fix it. It takes me 2 1/2 hours to get their. But how many of them (drivers ) come to race over here on Friday night.

You know the only time they get a good UMP count is if another track get rained out. You know if you race on Friday night and your car gets tore up ( and you hope it does not ) you dont have much time to fix it. It takes me 2 1/2 hours to get their. But how many of them (drivers ) come to race over here on Friday night

What does how long it takes you to get to Montgomery have to do with anything?

I dont care what you think of my post or how far some of us have to drive.
what about this you know thier is a dead line for drivers to join UMP and if they dont join by that time they do not get UMP POINTS well how about if they would do that for tracks too. I dont care what Mel does its his track.

Someone should post that UMP contract on here so everyone can see exactly what it is. You would be shocked i cant think any track owner would sign that thing!

UMP is trying to control all tracks and tell the owners how to do everything. And it's gotten much worse since last year. My sources tell me that Montgomery will not be UMP this season. But no matter what, it's a great track to race at and Mel does a great job there. It's the best atmosphere of any speedway in our area and great owners like Mel Kinnaird were around long before greedy promoters got their hands in everyone's purses!

The UMP contract is rediculous and I also hear there are other tracks who may not sign at the last minute. Did you know that if a UMP track lets a NON UMP driver race there, the track must require that the driver become a UMP member, or the track must pay for their UMP memberships? What kind of BS is that! If I was a track owner I would not sign either. UMP has too much clout already and it's time the owners and drivers took a stand. And for what? POINTS and a small part of the LION's share after the season is over!

RacerRod

Racer17v said:
I heard Mel has not signed a contract with ump yet for this season just wondering whats going to happen and if I need to find another track to race at

It continues to amaze me that people consider UMP to be the be all / end all of dirt track racing. This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone reading this. The fact that Boundless / DIRT Motorsports / WoO / UMP /etc. has in essence cornered the market on dirt racing will result in the changing of the landscape of dirt track racing as we know it. Whether for the better or worse, it is too early to tell. We have been keeping track of the developments at "the other website" for quite some time now, and the one consistent we have noticed is that the Boundless folks expect a certain ammount of loyalty. Loyalty in this case, is expressed by memberships and sanction fees. This appears to be the next level we all (myself included) craved for so long. Now that it is here, staring us in the face, it doesn't appear to be what we had envisioned, does it? So what are the options? If I were a promoter, these are the things I would be considering:

1. Stick with UMP/DIRT Motorsports and follow the guidelines laid down in their contracts. Hope and pray that I don't get caught in violation of any of their policies, for fear of not getting the year-end point fund bonus.

2. Ride out the year with UMP and wait for a disgruntled employee to quit and start a rival sanctioning group the following year.

3. Switch sanctions. Understanding that IMCA and NASCAR also require memberships, I would be moved to join the NASCAR fold, since it appears they are making strides to fix their confusing Weekly Racing Series point system. SEE LINK.

4. Become an outlaw (unsanctioned) track.

2004 was an interesting year to watch the national drama unfold between WoOLM and Xtreme. 2005 is just about here (already here if you count Speedweeks), and the power trip has been brought down to the local level. What happens next? I guess it's in the hands of those sending their money into the home office.

I Think All The Tracks Should Dump Ump. Some May Be Suprised At How Many Racers At Our Local Ump Tracks Don't Give A Rats Behind About A Ump Membership Or Points Fund. Take A Survey At The Track Sometime. I'm Willing To Bet Most Run Ump Because They Happen To Be At Their Track Of Choice. Ump Accomplished One Good Thing. That Is Uniform Rules. If Promoters At The Area Tracks Would Stick With Such A Plan. Ump Wouldn't Be Needed. J/m/o

Doug said:
It continues to amaze me that people consider UMP to be the be all / end all of dirt track racing. This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone reading this. The fact that Boundless / DIRT Motorsports / WoO / UMP /etc. has in essence cornered the market on dirt racing will result in the changing of the landscape of dirt track racing as we know it. Whether for the better or worse, it is too early to tell. We have been keeping track of the developments at "the other website" for quite some time now, and the one consistent we have noticed is that the Boundless folks expect a certain ammount of loyalty. Loyalty in this case, is expressed by memberships and sanction fees. This appears to be the next level we all (myself included) craved for so long. Now that it is here, staring us in the face, it doesn't appear to be what we had envisioned, does it? So what are the options? If I were a promoter, these are the things I would be considering:

1. Stick with UMP/DIRT Motorsports and follow the guidelines laid down in their contracts. Hope and pray that I don't get caught in violation of any of their policies, for fear of not getting the year-end point fund bonus.

2. Ride out the year with UMP and wait for a disgruntled employee to quit and start a rival sanctioning group the following year.

3. Switch sanctions. Understanding that IMCA and NASCAR also require memberships, I would be moved to join the NASCAR fold, since it appears they are making strides to fix their confusing Weekly Racing Series point system. SEE LINK.

4. Become an outlaw (unsanctioned) track.
========================================================
#1. IF YOU ARE GONNA HAVE THEM(UMP/DIRT), PLAY BY THEIR RULES!

#2. THAT WOULDN'T SUPRISE ME ONE BIT. SOMEONE WILL TRY IT!

#3. A MEMBERSHIP ISN'T A BAD THING, IF THEY OFFER SOMETHING(INSURANCE PLAN) IN RETURN. NOT JUST A PAY US TO PLAY DEAL!

#4. NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. TRI -CITY DIDN'T DO TO BAD LAST YEAR. RUN ALL THEIR CLASSES AND CRAP CAN THE SANCTION! LIKE I SAID, THE MAJORITY COULD CARELESS ABOUT IT!

ump the way they are going is not that answer that's for sure DOUG mentioned NASCAR with there new point deal isn't that the same point system that the guys running ump were complaining about

pitdrifter you hit the nail right on the head.most dont give a rats *** about ump,its just that ump is the sanction of their track of choice..i dont like ump truthfully,i think they are in it for the money and they are not easy on the wallet at all,i realize racing isnt cheap i have a late model but cmon guys,for what is in some of these ump late models you could have 3 imca late models..a good promotor could get a good set of uniform rules,get descent payouts ect,ect,and have a great thing going for him..j/m/h/o

Its plain and simple. racing needs people running things that love the sport. People who are in it for the betterment of it. Not just for the profit. UMP is in those type of hands now.

Back