oil on a ford race engin

SPEEDWAYCAT74

SPEEDWAYCAT74
My ??? Is My Ford Engin Is A Fresh Moter No Blow By
But Under Race Conditions After About The 4th Lap It Will Start Pushing Oil Out The Breather Caps On The Valve Covers It Has A High Volum Oil Pump. It Acts To Me Like It Is Filling My Vaulve Covers With The Oil And It Forces It Out Of Them

Racing Oil Pan
High Vul Oil Pump No Restricters In The Moter. Do You Think That Would Help????
To Put Them In

OK My ????'s

Do you have a built in windage tray in the oil pan?
Do you have baffels in the oil stacks on the valve covers? It keeps the oil from coming out and directs it back into the valve cover.

Answer to you question, yes restrictors would help if you don't have them.

dont really no what brand they are but they are racing covers with like 3 inch tubes on them. Have not had them off to see what they look like in side of them

We run a 351w, the oil pan is a 10 qt. Canton racing pan with a windage tray, with a crank scraper. Haven't had any trouble with it throwing oil.

Ok Went And Pulled A Valve Cover They Are Canton Brand But The Only Thing I See Down In The Tube At The Bottom Is One Little Plate Not Really A Baffel Or Any Thiing

You Turn It Over And Look In It Where The Tubes Are It Has That Little Plate Over It With Just Enough Of A Gap To Let Oil In

the first thing you need to do is a leak down test on the motor. do not assume just because it's not been run much that it don't have some cyl. leakage. if you have a bunch of cyl leakage, all the baffles in the world ain't gonna help. start with the basics, then look elsewhere.art.

I'm with art check for blow by. If your running standard rings you will generally make some blow by and it will come out of your breather stack. My engine brand new developed almost invisible amount of blow by after warming up. I did some testing on new V-8 motors of the amount of pressure generated by blow by. It reached almost 25psi before seals started blowing and you couldn't see any smoke.

You need to get rid of that hi volume pump all it's doing is wearing out your distributor drive.

cyl. leakage should be around 5% per cyl (or less). if it's a fresh engine, then it better not have any more than that. if you want to be generous and forgiving, MAAAAAAYYYYBBBBEEEEE 7% but no more. while the leak down tester is in place and working, listen at the oil cap or where the breather goes for air leakage noise. also listen at the exhaust pipe and carb for air leakage. also look for air bubbles in the radiator. air can't leak anywhere else but those places. do that, and post back on here with the results. do all this FIRST!!!! art.

most race motors pour oil out the vent tubes on the valve covers,alot of poeple will just put socks over them to keep the flow down.some race motors dont throw much oil out at all,and some pour it out.i dont think there is anything wrong with your motor at all,but i would do what the other guys above said to do.if everything checks out then you are fine.

as far as how to do a leak down,you first have to have a leakdown gauge,air compressor and a little knowledge about motors.you will screw the leak down gauge into the cylinder,and also hook it to the air hose,set the regulator to 100lbs of pressure and roll each cylinder over to TDC as you check it.take the reading off the gauge.on a newer motor there should be no more than 3% leakage which your gauge would read in the green of atleast 97%.hope this helps.

Just stuff an old sock in it and run it like you stole it. I could not tell you how many times we tried to figure out how to stop oil from coming out and nothing seemed to work. Now we just stuff a new sock in the tube every week and have not had a problem in 4 years.

Im with you clbgy11..problem is at high rpm's..no pcv valve system..some blow by will occur no matter what rings you run..especially..since the rotate and occasionally..all the grooves alighn themselves for a split second. If the blowby isnt excessive(heck..had one so bad..caught it on fire..after hot laps) just stick a sock..or..shop cloth in each tube and your good to go.

on the valve covers we run the tubes are on the drivers side and about 3inc tall, instead of a sock we put a scouring pad in there, it stops the oil but it still lets the motor and it doesnt get clog with debris and plus with the scouring pad you can rinse right off and throw it back in.....to thin of oil..... to much oil...on the valve cover we run these little air breathers......if using lucas oils products it foams at high RPM....

Make sure the scouring pad is.."STAINLESS STEEL"..some are not. They are a mix of metals, that kind will decompose. If all else fails wrap a shop towel around it and tape it down with duct tape and go racing but, change it often!

Good point..new a guy who didnt use stainless one..it broke down..to little pieces..and..well..bam went the engine. It took period of time..but..it happens. I just use the ole shop towel method..change it every 2 weeks..well..right now..havent had to chit..aint ran it..lol.

not meaning to be a samart a%^ but wich side are your tubes on the engine please say left/drivers side. again just a ??? just trying to be helpful
lil jim

Not A Ford Man
This Is The First Ford I Have Ran I Ran Chevy For 7 Years
Just Not Familier With A Ford
But I Do Know This Thing Has Unbeliveble Power Down The Straight Away's

My 377 Chevy Did Not Have This Much Power

They Say Ford Produces A Lot Of Hp I Belive It

I Have The Only Ford On The Track [at The Track..] I Would Like To Get This Thing Lined Out An Start Kicking Those Chevy Camro's And Monti Carlo's Tails With A Ford That Would Make Alot Of Guys Mad Down Here

ok first do a leakdown test i've seen as much as 10% leakdown without this problem. second make sure the valve cover with the breather tubes is on the left (driver side) of the engine the focres during cornering will cause the oil to climb up the vavlecover and in the breather tube. third if you are running a solid cam you should run oil restrictors, you need to keep the oil in the pan where it needs to be for the bottom end there will be plenty of oil to lube the top. altough if you are running a hydrualic cam do not use restrictors you need the oil for the lifters. i would also check to see if the oil can drain back well enough make sure the drainbacks are plenty open this usually is not a problem in a ford. the sock or shop towel trick only cures the symptom not the problem fix the problem and keep the socks for winter.

Back