OK, it's official, I'm spooked.... Where is everyone

Millsey

I can't find Jason or Christi and I've been hearing a lot of wild rumors. So I'll ask the question, "Are we going to race this season or even have a track???" There's just not that many days before the scheduled start of the season and if we aren't going to race it's not fair to keep everyone tied up or putting out money into their vehicles that won't have a track to race at. Somebody needs to speak up and speak up now.

I'd like to know also, lot's of rumors flying. I hope ther aren't true. Jason or Christi, please let us know what's going on!

Yeah...that would be a nice thing to know. I have been breaking my spheres to get ready. Not to mention the several thousand dollars invested to race this year.

Nobody knows for sure what's going on other than Jason, that's one of the rumor going around, as there are many more. He just needs to let people know if that is his intention!

Well then...screw it! If were going to wait until the last freakin second to find out if were going to race or not, I'll find something else to do with my time and money. No wonder everyone is always talking about asphalt. I might as well sell my truck and buy a Mustang. I think if I depended on people to show up and race at my track I would at least have the courtesy of keeping them posted on current events. That includes handling rumors true or not. F**k all this mystery sh*t, I might show up this year and maybe I wont.

Does anyone think that Jason or Kristie actually will do something without someone else doing it for them. From over the years i have never seen a business owner that is so unable to take care of things without blaming someone else for their mistakes and lack of effort.
Hopefully they cut there losses and sell it to someone that will put BIG RIVER ON THE MAP OF ONE PREMIER RACE TRACKS IN THE COUNTRY!!!
The racers at Big River are some the best people around and deserve better!

I wish I knew what to tell everyone, but this is all completely out of my hands. I've done all that I can do. If things are that bad then yes they should sell the track before it can be picked up on the courthouse steps for 1/100th of the price.

Over the past two years, I often marveled at the simple fact that the track has remained open. I have marveled at how racers could be so dedicated to the sport, while maintaining their patience as they watched their money go down the drain.

Even more remarkable, in my opinion, has been the determination, dedication, and the downright insane amount of patience shown by the committee members and track officials; helpers like Jason H., Sara, Jeff, Karen, and yes, even myself.

I cannot speak for anyone else, however I must confess, I do share a similar discontent with numerous other officials. I stayed on for the past two years because I love the sport of sand drag racing. But after two years of working under ownership that didn't know how to listen, handle conflicts, show objectivity while making decisions, or even put a tiny bit of effort into improving the track, my patience ended last August.

I wish Big River Sand Drags could proudly proclaim that it's the best sand drag track in the midwest. We have all worked so hard to try to improve things, but when you have a lame-duck making the executive decisions, it all just begins to seem pointless.

For all of the time, effort, money, and dedication you amazing racers and officials have put into Big River Sand Drags, you deserve nothing less than an owner who will maintenence and upgrade equipment as necessary, replace lights on the track so we can even see the damned races; someone who will actually answer phone calls, and try to work with others to get things accomplished -- and someone who is organized and educated enough to know that you can't just keep making money from a business to support yourself while leaving the business to rot and expect to continue making money.

The racers and fans also deserve an ownership that will be responsible enough to pay bills for advertising, awards, websites, and machinery instead of giving our track a bad name with all of the local businesses.

This isn't about the owners anymore. It's about our track. It's about the 25 years of history we have as an organization. What they just don't realize is that we care, because our investment in time and money, and our credibility as an organization are at stake. We deserve better, and it's about damn time they realize that.

Signed,

Nickolas L. Harris

Very well said Nick. Racers and spectators have been dropping like flies. Most of that due to poorly prepped track, lack of advertising, and unproffesionalism. I like everyone at the track but, if this keeps up there won't be a track to go to! I am building a brand new bike and wonder if I'll have a "home track" :(

Although I don't know the whole situation there, I do know that the Dee family is extremely important to that track. Todd and crew from Leadwood and Tim's entire family has been some of the most important people. If there is a way out of this situation, the Waller's need to forget about any pride they might have left because they are going to lose the track, lose their shirt and come out looking like complete idiots (which they might be). Sell the track to the Dee family and let the racers and fans continue a great tradition in such a unique sport. Wallers, you don't want to be known as the people who destroyed Big River Sand Drags and it's history.

yeah you guys are pretty f**kin smart. i know some people involved in this, and we were talkin about it. they said that tim and karen dee were contacted by the wallers because they wanted to sell they started out asking like 2 hund thousand and now their down to half . must be gettin desperit.

i don't know why the dees and a few other racers dont just buy the place together. or if just the dees bought it it would be good. their the perfect people for it and i think they could really do something with it.
just my 2 cents
i also heard larry mienkel is interested.

I also would like to see the Dee's putchase it also but there not going to put themself in financial bliss. Jason an kris paid way too much for it when they took over. They expect someone too buy it when there is nothing left too buy they dont own the tower or the gate property no tractor or equipment, someone stole the cameras(wonder who that could have been?) You get all of that just for one low price. Plus, you dont even even get the mobilehome with a view! Come on dont that sound like a deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They want someone that was dumber than they were to do Let's Make a Deal!

i do belive the track is now seperate from the mobile home, but maybe im wrong A freind of mine is wanting to build an asphalt drag strip and heard some rumors about minkel doing one, so he talked to Larry about his plans, and his plans have nothing to do with BRSD, hes bulding a racing complex a few miles outside of farmington.

People you have to understand that I've been a news reporter for 30-years now and I have to work with facts. Even though there are several indications of severe problems, I personally have not heard from Jason and Christi saying there was no season and the track was closed. I learned a long time ago not to completely assume something is a fact until I have the facts.
I can tell you this though. A few weeks ago I talked with Larry Minkel as he was on his way to Kansas City to talk with the IHRL people about a new asphalt track on Highway W at the intersection of (I believe it's Highway V) as it turns off and goes to Pilot Knob/Ironton. They have apparently bought that old convienience store there and 44 acres of land. Larry is quality from the ground up. I have total respect for the man and his business methods. Whatever Larry does it will be first class and run correctly and whatever help he ever needs from me he will get.
When I found this out I tried to contact Jason and Christi to tell them that if BRSD was to continue we really needed to get our ducks in a row. Just because Larry is putting the new place in doesn't mean he's trying to run the track out of business. However, if the track continues to faulter, screw up and be a non-factor, it will be gobbled up without hardly any effort. It's been about a month now since I talked with Christi and probably three months since I've talked with Jason. I had several projects going for the track, but if I can't get a hold of them then it's not worth the effort.
But I've been around a lot of projects that looked doomed, only to rebound and come back. Just one way or another we need to find out what is or is not going on. Please Jason, you owe everyone that much, especially the people who have been so loyal to the track over the years.

I swear to you, two minutes after I made my previous post I got a phone call from Jason Waller. And he said,

"The track will be open this year. It might not be me doing it, but the track will be open, I can't afford for it not to."

So there you have it, I need to talk with Jason Harris about a couple of items so Jason if I don't get a hold of you via phone please contact me.

Millsey

thats great news! and yes jeff your location was correct for the minkel place, but he told my buddy he wasnt sure about the drag strip yet, hes leaning towards it, but not 100% sure as of yet, but he did mention a mud pit.

Jeremy, that's what I'm saying... I can't go by "what he told my buddy" I go by what I find out directly from the person I'm dealing with. I worked with Larry since 1996 and I talk with him directly.

thank you

First of all thank you to everyone who has been giving their opinions whether good or bad i dont care, here is the situation. The track will be open this year whether by us or whoever, we wouldnt do that to anyone. now, one of the problems is the mis information and the bad publicity that others give, you can not over come them, when the mouths are so large and for some reason they get pi**ed if you say one word about them but they can run the mouth like it is overflowing owell, we have dealt with bigger and better people and we do not care, we will open the gates this year!!!!!!!! And i know that i am not the only one that hears this **** everyyear. Now as far as it being for sale and not getting the mobile home, well lets see I bought the mobile home separately and I am not selling my home just to get rid of the track. we have 2 separate loans on them, and if you are waiting to purchase it on the courthouse steps good luck, cause that isnt going to happen either but if you want to wait that is fine. And yes Jason and I have decided that the racetrack would be better in other hands and we abovve anyone wouild love to see that happen. And yes, we would love for the Dees to have it. I am sorry that everyone has been so freaked out but Jason is working about 75 hours a week and i dont talk to him much either. So there it is everyone the truth of the matter and just remember we arent in high school and you cant believe everything you hear and remember that this happens every year but this year it is a little different
thank you
cchristi

Back