question for other drivers

voodoo427

do you guys and gals wear driving shoes or regular shoes??? im trying to decide if i want to buy some driving shoes before season starts....

driving shoes. I used to not have any, but they do help give you a better feel, I think, and the fireproof aspect cant hurt.

driving shoes question

If you wear Flameproof suits, underwear, socks, gloves and headsock, why wouldn't you want the same protection for your feet? If you burn those ****ers you are out of business for a looooooong time. If you are worried about oil ruining them then you have to make the equipment safer also because if hot oil gets in your shoes you still have major problems. I know because I was around in the days before the fireproof equipment and I saw guys suffer big time.

snell 95 or 2000. sticker on the inside... peel back the padding and look. anything else is junk. do not get a helmet with a dot or m rating. m means motorcycle... better than nothing, but not good enough for a car. if you plan on needing tear offs, then make sure the shield has the 'buttons' for that. do not buy someone's used helmet, unless it is a year old or less. why? because you don't know the history behind it, how it was treated, how much the prev. guy sweats, etc. buy new. your head is worth a new one. art.

SCP is closing out all of their LEAF race shoes. Red, blue & black, lots of sizes, Nomex insides. Call 636-677-1320 Ask for Lumpy or Kenny.

i am selling my simpson shoes if you are interested.. new they are 89.95. these are red hightop style size 8 1/2 and were new at start of 2004 season. in great shape, no holes or worn spots. i am asking $60.00. i am selling to buy a black pair due to new driving suit.. ya have to match..... i also have a 1 pc. suit and gloves to match all in good shape and new at start of 2004 season.... let me know if you are interested.. pm me thanks

THINK about this

I have noticed you say motor cycle helmets are not as safe as race car helmets?? Now just how do you figure that one. Number one race cars have cages and for wheels and most run on dirt tracks!! Motor cycles have 2 wheels NO cage WIDE OPEN and most run between 65 and 85 mph on NOW GET THIS >>> HARD TOP highways!!I am very sorry but' I have heard you say that more than once w/ out saying any thing. But' what you are saing is absolutly NUTS!!!
Think about it!! I dont give a HOOT what books you may be reading. I have totled a bike or 2 the same w/ race cars . Think my choice would be the car>>NOT THE BIKE!!If the helmet on my bike is not as safe as the helmet in your race car?? Than Folks are BIKERS are in REAL trouble!! Are race cars are twice as safe as a bike.And yet you say a bikes helmet is not race car safe?? What gives here??:eek:
RaceGoddess said:
snell 95 or 2000. sticker on the inside... peel back the padding and look. anything else is junk. do not get a helmet with a dot or m rating. m means motorcycle... better than nothing, but not good enough for a car. if you plan on needing tear offs, then make sure the shield has the 'buttons' for that. do not buy someone's used helmet, unless it is a year old or less. why? because you don't know the history behind it, how it was treated, how much the prev. guy sweats, etc. buy new. your head is worth a new one. art.

I believe the thing that makes them safer is the nomex liner on the inside, I'm not positive on that one though.

the difference in helmets is the hardness of the outer shell.... i believe the helmets used in stock car racing are harder and more impact safe than a motorcycle rated helmet..... or something to that effect

Well considering that the rating are alot differnt. I am pretty sure that in usac and some other series they won't allow the m rating. I really don't think the helmets are as good because most the motorcycle helmets i have seen people wear and that are on the shelves in shops are like a 100 or 150 bucks. I don't think it really matters because i am gonna spend the money no matter what i have to do to have the best helmet. But the m rating must be lower than snell because they dont' allow them in some bodies of racing.

here we go. another totally mis-informed racer trying to appear intelligent. let me say this, mr. bolo.. if you want to race in a dangerous sport with sub-standard safety equipment, then knock yourself out. because that is exactly what you are doing. m rating helmets do not offer the protection that the snell 95 or 2000 helmets do.that is a fact, and i have the knowledge/ experience/ info to back up what i say. WHY DO YOU THINK THAT THEY WOULD EVEN BOTHER WITH A M RATING, IF THERE WASN'T A DIFFERENCE? think about it, next time you think you have a better idea and are gonna run your mouth.. i have been an official in an open wheel series' many years now, and, if you showed up at one of the races i officiate with a disregard for safety like this, you would be a spectator that night; NOT a driver. not because i want to be a d!ck, but because i have to look out for obvious safety violations. guys like you scare me... you think you know it all, but it is real clear you don't , but are going to anyway. brandon was right.. the top level racing orgs. do not allow m rated helmets in competition.. BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH. bolo.. stick to what you know, and ask if you don't know.. don't just call people 'nuts' just because they are saying something you don't understand. as far as the nomex lining, the use of a head sock is acceptable if the helmet itself is not nomex lined. thanks, art.

mike.. m rating has got nothing to do with fire rating... it's got to do with impact protection. snell 95 and 2000 are the same as far as impact rating, but snell 2000 (sa2000) has nomex in the helmet lining, where snell 95 does not. the use of a nomex head sock in a snell 95 makes it equal to a 2000, and thus acceptable by every major racing assoc... m rated helmets are not nomex, nor will they sustain the impact of a snell 95/2000 helmet. just figured i would clarify. good luck this summer.thanks,art.

Motorcycle helmets, I do believe, are designed with most of the "safety during an impact characteristics" of racecar helmets except for a couple things, like the fireproofing and face shield. Bike helmets, except for the most expensive racing helmets, are generally not fireproof. Why? There is no risk of fire in a bike crash.

And the face shield area is generally larger than a car helmet, to allow for a greater field of vision needed while riding. Great for bikes, but not good for the track, because it exposes more of your head (your face is just the front of your head, after all) to possible impacts from flying debris that may be stopped by the narrower opening of a good race helmet.

Additionally, the face shields are not as sturdy on a standard road riding helmet, so using a road bike helmet to race with would mean debris that might be otherwise stopped by your face shield could potentially punch right through.

Even a cheaper race helmet specifically sold for use in cars has a better faceshield design for stock car racing than most inexpensive or moderately priced motorcycle helmets. Hence the rule, no bike helmets.

Of course, there are bike helmets out there that would easily pass inspection for racing, and you would pay the same price as a top of the range Bell or Simpson or Impact for it, too. But, none of the cheaper ones would even come close to being as safe as a budget priced car racing helmet.

Get some racing shoes, no question. I get made fun of alot because I wear them to drive a factory stock and I guess people think they are just to look cool or something? You can definitely feel the difference though not to mention the safety aspect. Wearing sneakers, or even worse wearing boots, would be like a blind person trying to read brail with hockey gloves on. I wear Simpson low tops and I got them in near perfect condition on Ebay for $23.00.

As far as the helmet issue- My dad and I have had this argument about 200 times because he said I was nuts to shell out 2 or 3 hundred bucks for a new helmet. The last two seasons I used M rated helmets because I didn't want to spend the cash. I figured what's the difference? Then I noticed just about everybody driving a sportsman, mod, or LM was wearing an SA rated helmet like a Simpson or Bell. So I did some research and as I understand it the SA stands for "special applications" and the features that Todd mentioned are all correct. The SA rating is given to helmets designed to withstand impact with a rollbar. My dad is kinda old school so his argument was that a motorcycle helmet was just as good because it's designed for when a guy falls off his bike and slams his head into "a bridge embankment at 90mph" ? Uh, ok. I don't think that guy's helmet is gonna do him a whole lotta good at that point. So to make my dad happy I... Got a Simpson! LOL.

whatever the reason, get good safety equipment... what is the cost of the best helmet/ shoes/gloves/uniform, etc vs. the cost of an extended stay in the hospital, lost work, permanent injuries, etc etc. if you still don't get the point, then as a racer, i wouldn't want you as a competitor... because you can't think !!! art.

True ..all you made good points. I wore sneakers..2 nights..that was it. Ever had a sole of a show melt..during a race..ouch!! Not to mention..shoes..gloves..uniform..all buy you time if you have a fire or heat problem. No price can be put on safety. Spend less on lettering..paint..engine..tires..whatever..just get a good suit..helmet..gloves..and shoes. Big cahoonas optional.

The Sa helmet, in addition to being fireproof, undergoes a rollbar impact test that the motorcycle helmet does not have to pass. Also, DOT helmets must have a minimum opening for peripheral vision that the race helmet does not. You can find the exact differences at the Snell home page.

Back