Smoking Ban Jan 1,2007

Parts Gal

Linda Schaefer
Smoking Ban Jan 1,2008

As a non smoker I am for it...

But I think there is a compromise that can be made..I was in Texas a few years ago and in the bars we were at had these smoke eaters in the bar areas..Now I have to tell you I have NO idea what they cost but they work..I would think they could be considered..Maybe so many per square foot..Their size was not cumbersome or were they a sightly looking item..

Just food for thought..

Shouldn't have started this one, but you brought up a good point with the smoke eater.

This is going to hurt many business as they will be losing business from several sides. No smoke to go, length of time in the business, and on and on. The state did a disservice on this one. JMO.

I am going to comment on this a little myself.WHAT THE H@@ is wrong with this country.pretty soon we are going to have to leave the country to take a crap.look at it this way.i can sit in a bar and drink as much booze as i want and leave the bar drunk and take the chance of killing some one.but i cant go in the same bar order a soda talk with some friends and smoke a few cigerettes without having to leave the bar,and get atleast 15 feet away from any building.cmon this is a little crazy. jmo

Personally I can't wait for 1 jan. I am a non smoker and when I go out I have a sore throat for a week after becasue of the smoke. No offense to the smokers...I have heard several rumors regarding the law. I heard that if the bar tenders dont' enforce it they can be fined as well. I also heard you are not allowed to smoke on the premises you have to be so many ft/yds away. I think instead they should let people go on decks or step outside away from the building and smoke then come back in. I also heard it is only Illinois it is not Missouri affected by this. Who knows we will have to wait and see how it all plays out.

It's been long enough,,,,2007 years exactly! I am glad the gov't stood up and made a decision for us non smokers...There will be signs in our garage Jan 1,2007.

Be careful here, now someone might get "offended" ! Remember we can't do that either now. Is there anything left we can do? I studied history and I know what happened during prohibition. People will be killing people for the right to smoke just as they did when they couldn't legally drink. What a country. Maybe someday our FREE citizens will be immigrating again to another FREE country. Wasn't this why our ancestors came here to begin with? To be FREE? Wow.....

~ Rod

OOPS I forgot something...

I don't smoke but I believe in freedom. Businesses (which is people) will suffer. One more thing I'd like to ask. WHAT IS THE LAW? I didn't catch it here in the post specifically.

~ Rod

As a business owner we have never allowed smoking in our building,or vehicles..That is our choice to make..As long as you ask the people nicely they have been cooperative.(respectful of your feelings)..For that I am grateful..Most people actually ask...

As a home owner people just go outside without asking..They know we don't smoke..

Again as a non smoker I am all for this..But I don't want any businesses to suffer..

I was just curious how other people felt about this...

I don't smoke, but I understand the habit and know how hard it is to quit. But I think this a good thing. Sure it looks bad to a smoker and people may argue that it might hurt business, but who knows for sure? If you look at it from a non-smokers point of view you'll think that it could potentially improve business. I would assume (I know) that there are more non-smokers in the world than there are smokers. Supposing that those non-smokers stay away from certain businesses due to cigarette smoke alone. Now that the smoke is gone there may actually be a larger patron count than when smoking was allowed. And hasn't other states adopted this same law? What's been the outcome in those states? I know it ****s for smokers, but I do believe it's what is best for everyone.

As for Crate51's comments I believe that is a twisting of facts that comes from anger over not being allowed to smoke. It would be different if the business was providing a place to smoke. Therefore I believe that Cigarette and Cigar shops should be allowed to have smoking as that would be their primary goal in business. Anyone entering that business would be doing so for the soul purpose of smoking. But the primary goal in a bar is to sell alcohol. Smoking just happens to go along with it. Heck, a lot of people like to have sex while they party, but that doesn't mean we should let everyone have at it on the bar! LMAO! Now that's what I mean about twisting words.

I guess you could say that my opinion is that if you allow smoking in bars you should also allow sex! LMAO! Sorry, just having fun beating a dead.......uh.......horse!

The SMOKE FREE ILLINOIS ACTtakes effect on January 1, 2008. Here are a few highlights you should know:
No person shall smoke in a public place or in any place of employment or within 15 feet of any entrance to a public place or place of employment. This includes 15 feet from entrances, exits, windows that open and ventilation intakes.
“Smoking” means the carrying, smoking, burning, inhaling, or exhaling of any kind of lighted pipe, cigar, cigarette, hookah, weed, herbs, or any other lighted smoking equipment.
“No Smoking” signs or the international “No Smoking” symbol shall be clearly and conspicuously posted in each public place and place of employment where smoking is prohibited.
Each public place and place of employment where smoking is prohibited shall have posted at every entrance a conspicuous sign clearly stating that smoking is prohibited.
All ashtrays shall be removed from any area where smoking is prohibited.
Violations:
oA person who smokes in an area where smoking is prohibited shall be fined in an amount that is not less than $100 and not more than $250.
oA person who owns, operates or otherwise controls a public place or place of employment that violates this Act shall be fined not less than $250 for the first violation, not less than $500 for the second violation within one year after the first violation, and not less than $2,500 for each additional violation within one year after the first violation.
oEach day that a violation occurs is a separate violation.

Go to this website for the full text of the Act... http://http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/fulltext.asp?Name=095-0017&GA=095.

Thanks for all the info Dustin.

"Cigarette Police" HHMMMM....

Do you think they will go undercover as a smoker just to set up a sting????..I could go on & on....

Sorry Ican't resist

Personally I can't wait for 1 jan. I am a non smoker and when I go out I have a sore throat for a week after becasue of the smoke. No offense to the smokers...I have heard several rumors regarding the law. I heard that if the bar tenders dont' enforce it they can be fined as well. I also heard you are not allowed to smoke on the premises you have to be so many ft/yds away. I think instead they should let people go on decks or step outside away from the building and smoke then come back in. I also heard it is only Illinois it is not Missouri affected by this. Who knows we will have to wait and see how it all plays out.
So if UI get a sore thoat after the races on Friday, they should be banned??

Smoking

I can do without it during a meal.... really suspect it will not drive anyone out of business.

Personally I think its just another way for uncle sam to show that this country is not free. They are turning our country into what we fought the british for back in the colonial days. Next thing we know, we wont be able to marry who we want, or go shopping where we want. We fought the war against the british for our freedom to choose what we wanted, now our ever so wonderful government is taking all our choices from us. Blagoiovich is a joke as govenor, about as bad as King George Ryan. The only things these politicians are interested in is how thick the linings of their pockets are. All the businesses that are going to suffer is going to raise the unemploymet rates drastictally, not to mention send our country into yet another depression. we need to elect people that have the people's interests in mind, not their own.:mad:

Everybody is quick to say how the businesses are going to suffer... Has anyone ever been in a state, or a region (near Champaign, IL) where smoking is banned from bars, restaurants, etc...??? It doesn't seem like the smoking ban is hurting the businesses in or around Champaign.

I know that Arnold, MO has a smoking ban and they've got all kinds of drunks down there! I know! I pick them up from fights, accidents, and overdoses all the time! Saying that this law will hurt business is just a remark made by a person upset about the impact it will have on them personally. A true patron of a business will continue to go to that business regardless of the law imposed by the government.

Keep in mind that it's not the decision of the business to make these laws. And patrons that refuse to frequent these businesses due to a law beyond the control of the owner makes them just as responsible for the failure of said business as the laws. Otherwise these remarks about businesses failing are just a cop out for those who can't make a difference in the laws that have been made. Meaning that people can't defend themselves otherwise, so instead they make these comments to vent their valid but undefendable frustrations. Regardless of the motive, it does nothing to change a thing and only causes fear for people trying to make a living by running the businesses that we rely on every day of our lives.

And for the record, I drink beer all the time and have never had a cigarette in my mouth once in my life. And I still find a way to get my buzz on without them.

Back