St. Louis Auto Racing Fan Club's January meeting and Trivia Contest

Eileen

Date: Saturday, January 8, 2005

Place: Fat Cats Bowl, Fairview Heights, IL (basically I-64 and IL 50). (If you need to call them directory assistance will have it listed as Cat City.)

Time: 7 p.m.

Generally there is a short meeting, a 50/50, attendance prizes for all the kids, interviews of special guests, and a good time. :)

January has become Trivia night. Generally there are about 25 questions related to racing and the trivia team with the most correct answers wins. Past winners included the team of Art Knepper (aka midgetracer) and Billy Mockenbur (aka BroncoBilly) and the team of Don Figler and Ed Murphy (both past presidents of the club).

There is no entry fee. Put together a team of 1 to 5 members and join in on the fun.

And then we have the low end of the scale.... LOL.... Gary Whitener and I got a total of seven right (out of 25) the last time we were there... EEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKSSSSS!!

Jeff.........

Wasn't that the contest based on all St. Louis racing history? You're a "newcomer" and weren't at that time well versed in ALL of St. Louis' racing history.

Another year we did all NASCAR Trivia.

Show up on January 8 and find out what the flavor of trivia will be this time.

Remember you can have as many as 5 members on your team. Put together a team with a diverse interest in motorsports and increase your chances. :)

St. Louis is blessed with a wide array of motorsports to choose from and an equally diverse array of knowledgeable motorsports fans. Surely you're carefully selected team of five can beat a two man team comprised of midgetracer and BroncoBilly. ;)

This sounds like a lot of fun! I have been to a few Fan Club Meetings and would like to attend all of them. Can't we find a more centalized location to have these events? Or... move them around so that on occassion, there may be one located near enough to you to make the others not so bad. I believe this would be more fair to the southern Missouri members and would gather more interest.

I have tried recruiting new fan club members but when I tell them that the Fan Club meets monthly in Fairview Heights, IL, they say too far! Not that there is anything wrong with Fairview Heights, I heard it was an excellent place, it is just too far for a lot of people to get interested in.

J/M/O

I've got to totally agree with you there... I've never understood why a fan club meeting has NEVER (at least to my knowledge) been held anywhere near even Jefferson County. I know people don't like the comparision between the fan club and the RAMS Association, but we've had meetings for that smaller association from Montgomery County, to north St. Louis County, to Jefferson County, to western Jefferson County, to St. Francois County and even Madison County (Mo.). The idea is to make it more accessible to the public to make them feel more welcome. Hey I would love to have all our RAMS meetings at El Tapatio's here in Farmington that's just a few blocks from my house, but I don't think that would be real fair to the other dues paying members who live west and north of St. Louis.... DO YOU??

This is a simple problem.......relatively easy to fix.........IF someone will do a little leg work.

The Fan Club needs the following for a meeting location:

a family oriented facility

reasonably priced food with basic beers for the adults

a separate room so as not to disturb or be disturbed by the other patrons

large enough to hold potentially 100 people

preferrably no additional charge for the separate room

Now IF someone put together a list of such places that meets that criteria....whether it be in the Farmington area, or the St. Charles area, or the Fairview Heights area, etc..........then the powers that be could decide on alternate locations.

The only other thing is that the meeting sites would need to be determined early enough to give adequate notice of where they will be held........because when you change locations from meeting to meeting it makes it harder for people to know/remember where a particular meeting will be held without lots of advance publicity.

I think that the collective brain of stlracing.com surely knows of several facilities that meet these requirements. Hopefully several will be posted here.

Jeff and Joe......it has never been a question of not wanting to go elsewhere it has always been a question of not knowing what facilities are available where.

Thanks Eileen, I'll set us up a meeting place here in St. Francois County. In fact one of the possible places you've been at, Club 67 off of Hwy 67 in Bonne Terre. Just say the word and I'll set us up a spot for next month!

Farmington would be a lot closer for me and many others, but I was thinking of something a little more fair for EVERYONE. I think, based off where the current Board Members are located (Saint Charles, Troy, MO and other places) that a place in South County or West County would be more appropriate. There is a "Fun Town" place in Fenton that would be good. One in South County. Three are many places that would benifit everyone as a whole - not a few select people. It just needs to be more centralized for the entire membership.

I will check around. I am all over the Saint Louis area on a daily basis with my job. There has got to be a more centralized location. Again, nothing against the people in Fairview Heights at all. I am sure it is a great place.

Jeff........the January meeting will be at Fat Cats.

Talk to the powers that be BEFORE the January meeting so some announcment can be made regarding the February meeting as to the location.

Joe.........I like the idea of being a little more centralized and appreciate you offering to check around. Can you give us more details on the place you specifically mentioned?

Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Panorama Lanes in Belleville, Illinois always gives me a great price if I rent the room on a Sunday. I am not sure when the meetings are for the club since I have not been in a while. When I rent the EMPIRE ROOM (which holds about 200!) they give me a rate of $100 if I furnish my own food. They prefer we buy food from them but don't require it.

I'm sure there are plenty of members in the Belleville vicinity and would be able to make it to Panorama Lanes since it's 200 yards from the Belle-Clair Speedway.

Eileen I'd be happy to help set something up with the people at Panorama in the future if the need warrants it. I know they fairly well and can get a pretty good rate, especially on Sundays as this is the non busiest day.

RacerRod Haffer
(former club member)

Eileen, I was talking about February not January... And Rod, we are looking for a place in Missouri and preferably a place somewhere in Jefferson County or so..

No actually YOU were looking for a place in Jefferson County. Eileen asked if anyone had ideas of good locations for meetings, right? Just trying to help with ideas as there are 12 months in the year.

RacerRod

Jeff gets nervous around bridges - especially if he's got the Trashdog as a co-pilot! I have NO IDEA why!

:D Yeah - I know too! I was just trying to be nice. The laws of physics can really get in the way sometimes!:eek:

Thay's Not What I Had In Mine,everytime I Ride With Trashdog Andhe Comes Across A Bridge He Thinks He's Eddie Dixon Or Scottie Weber To Both Drivers Just Having Some Fun That's All

Back