TCS LM tire rule

Brandon Paul

Free agent score guy
There's been a debate about the Granite LM tire rule. Here it is from their website.

TIRES: LM Hoosier 11: x 86/88/90/92. M10, M20, M30, M40 1. There will be no defacing or altering of manufacturer’s identification markings on any tire. You may not remove any letters, words, or numbers that would identify the tire. Any alteration of tires may result in immediate suspension. No tire softener of any kind!
2. A TRI-CITY official can confiscate any tire on any night to be evaluated and returned within a reasonable period of time.

From the UMP website:

49. Tires & wheels: Hoosier LM 11" x 86", 88", 90", or 92" M10, M20, M30, M40. A M60 will be available for the one-mile tracks. All UMP tracks will have the same tire rule. No circumference groove past 11", outside groove to outside groove.

50. Any tire can be confiscated by a UMP official on any night at any UMP track to be evaluated and returned within a reasonable period of time.

Same tires.

There has been no debate on the tire rule, it was claimed that TCS only allowed in one tire, when in fact, they have the same (multiple) tires as UMP.

hello.......................... Brandon its time to wake up !!! SO, what is the debate ? Or did Doug burst your bubble ??????????? :rolleyes:

Ok Ill bite on this one. Is the iron block rule just a deal to keep Wente from having to pay UMP sanction fees and get his guys UMP points, and for him to still get away with charging some unfair membership fee to recieve points. UMP awards points to racers wreather they join UMP that year or not, there are perks to joining though.

No Dirthound did not pay me for posting this, it was all me.

I would like to be able to run there Sunday though.

No Dean TCS late models do not get ump points. and actually the membership fee is not out of this world it is very reasonable. You do not have to be a member to race at TCS. UMP has nothing to do with it. So, if you have a steel block come on down and run with us on Saturday nights.
As far as Sunday goes I think all you have to do is run 2 of the tires that the MARS series run on their cars and you have to buy them from them so they can be registerd.

He would have to run UMPs rules exactly, excluding aluminum blocks keeps them out, not paying sanction fee, wich is low, keeps them out. I have been very happy at I-55, but was going to go to TCS on the first rainout at 55, simply becasue the first couple times at a new track are usually a blast. I blew up the iron block aluminum head engine last week, and have not gotten the new(to me) aluminum one yet. My original plan was to do well enough saturday to buy the mars tires and run sunday, but no motor for me, no chance at the half mile fun on sunday, or I-55 on saturday.

from the TCS website

All Dodge Racing Series events, including Sportsmen, UMP-style Modifieds, Street Stocks and Hornets, will be contested on Tri-City's lightning-fast quarter-mile speedway with full field main events paying $750 to win.

Hey Dean, think this smaller payout might also be why Wente is going with Iron Blocks?

In truth, I think the real reason Wente is going with the steel blocks is simply to try to get guys who don't want to or simply can't run with big dogs like Dixon, Faust, Melvin, Collins, etc. at the UMP tracks. I think that was the case if you look at who was running at TCS the first couple of shows. Obviously he's now down to his regular 7-10 guys.

Which raises another question. If "full-field" features pay $750 to win, what did Kloos get Sat. for besting an 8 car field?

Dean........

I certainly hope you continue to race at I-55 on saturday's. I enjoy watching you race as you have made great strides the past couple of years. Have you got your "new" motor yet? Hope to see you soon and good luck the rest of the season! :D

Brandon Paul said:
Which raises another question. If "full-field" features pay $750 to win, what did Kloos get Sat. for besting an 8 car field?

I dont know, but what do you get for beating a dead horse?

Bob is testing out the steel block idea, that's all. The idea is to give the Mod guys a class they can move into for the cost of a chassis, without the cost of a motor. Stick your mod motor into an LM, go racing.

T.nie, it was a legitimate question: What does Tri City pay when they have a short field? But our friend maverick thinks raisng a legitimate question puts you out in left field....

Brandon Paul said:
T.nie, it was a legitimate question: What does Tri City pay when they have a short field? But our friend maverick thinks raisng a legitimate question puts you out in left field....

My friend Maverick has forgot more about LM racing than you ever knew.

Instead of asking your out-of-the-ballpark, who-cares-anyway questions, why dont you call Bob Wente and ask him what the payout was? Since your going to be racing your LM :rolleyes: sometime soon, I can see how freaking relevant that would be to you........ :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think the modified guy moving up argument is pretty invalid. I mean the added block cost is less than $3k. And come on its a race motor, it is not if it is going to break (or be overhauled) it is when it is going to happen. The aluminum heads that they allow in this area (kind of strange for modifieds really) cost the people running up front far more than that over their iron counterparts. The last time I priced heads was in the 90s, but I know back then a set of trick Weld Tech's costed a pretty penny.

the deal is in the long run aluminum heads are cost effective,you kill a steel head you throw it in the trash,you wound a aluminum head you take it to Steginier had he fixes it you bolt it back on and go racing

t.nie said:
My friend Maverick has forgot more about LM racing than you ever knew.

Instead of asking your out-of-the-ballpark, who-cares-anyway questions, why dont you call Bob Wente and ask him what the payout was? Since your going to be racing your LM :rolleyes: sometime soon, I can see how freaking relevant that would be to you........ :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
But, Tnie my friend he knows all...........
You know he kinda reminds me of some other know it all that dissappeared on here pretty much close to the same time this one appeared.
And if I REMEMBER correctly nobody wanted to listen to his words of BULL either. :rolleyes:

Going To Disagree

I Run A Steel Block At Granite And I Will Gaurantee I Have Less Motor Than 60% Of The Modifieds. I Dont Set The World On Fire By No Means But The Car Has Been Pretty Competive A Couple Of Nights This Year. Even Withn The Track Being Tacky Just Wait Till It Starts To Get Slick My Little 358 Will Shine. So The Argument That You Cant Take A Modified Motor And Be Competive Is A Invalid One.

P.s.- I Know A Lot Of You Guys Think Steel Blocks Are A Crock Of Sh*t. So My Request To You Guys Are Load You Late Model Up And Go Somewhere Else. Leave Us Alone At Granite And Everything Will Be Just Fine.

Ed Pursell #85

Hey Purcell, I don't think the Steel Blocks are a crock of S---. If I did, I wouldn't have sent in reports of the TCS Steel Block races to Hoseheads LM news. I just wish that there were more than 8-10 of you guys down there.:(

And if you're running a 358, I would suggest that you have less motor than most B-MODS in the area, much less UMP mods.:)

Back