Wall of Fame Inductee(s)

Millsey

Ok, here we go. We are going to induct one or maybe two people to our SFCR Wall of Fame on Sept. 11, 2004. And we are going to do it from our information obtained here on this website.

SO, if you have somebody you completely believe should be on the SFCR "Wall of Fame" list who your nominee is here AND WHY! Don't just say because he's a nice guy and has raced for years... We need legitamate reasons.. OK, who should we add????????

Cory asked if I would post this here for the SFCR fans....

Thanks so much,
Millsey

ron standridge...he used to be the man. and hes getting to the point where hes more worried about his boy racing so he may not be around the track in a car much longer. i think it would be a well deserved choice. Timmy is probably the best SFCR driver of all time, but lets see what all he does before its said and done...we all know he'll be on the wall. what about doc probst? LMAO Jk

In the past, two names that were mentioned a lot of times were Tommy Worley Sr. and Ron Milton...

Tommy Worley, Sr. He has won several championships, couldn't tell you how many races he's won, and he's been there forever, he's been a good ambassador to the track!

Worley Sr. would be an OK choice but I feel that anyone choosen should have had a positive impact on racing and I can see NO POSITIVE from Ron Milton yes he was exciting but he also through screeming fits that would rivel the biggest spoiled brat on earth. And now as a promoter you will be hard pressed to find any drivers with much good to say about him. I do like Ron Standridge, and he would still be giving Timmy a run for his money if he had any sponsor money behind him.

Tommy Worley Sr., Kenny Harris, Timmy Montgomery, Rod Standrige, and of those guys have earned a spot on the wall of fame over and over. Tommy and Kenny expecially, Timmy still has many many years left.

My Nomination ......

I have to agree with ya. Tommy Sr., Kenny and Timmy are all good nominations. Tommy has dedicated many years to racing and has been competative the whole time. I think he should be seriously considered. I was going to nominate Kenny Harris but thought some would think that is just because we are friends. But, Kenny has been in racing for many years. He was track champion and has 94 feature wins under his belt. He is very dedicated to his fans ! Another thing i love about Kenny is his big heart. When a family needs help Kenny is always there to help. When my cousin Scott Kelly passed away Kenny was one of them that got a benefit together to help the family out with funeral expenses. Then not long after that the Boyd Family suffered the loss of Darrell. Kenny immediately jumped in and helped to raise money to help this family out.This is just a couple incidents i know of many more. See, I believe that racing is not only what goes on on the track but how the drivers give back to the fans. And for this i nominate Kenny Harris ......... LeaDonna

Keep it coming folks, these are outstanding nominations. I would like for you to do more like LeaDonna did and give me REASONS for the nominations. That will help when it comes to the final selections. We need to tell Chuck (if he's there) or the announcer at SFCR this week to tell people to log-on and let us know...
Again, good work so far...

OOOPPSS Forgot Something...

Kenny Harris also holds the record for 17 straight wins during the 98 season. I hope these numbers are right..... My point is, Kenny is an Ambassader for racing, wether in a car , on the track or in public ! LeaDonna :)

what about tony whited in the ol sportsman class from years ago. remember everyone Tony "the tiger" whited? and what about Mike Thurman? those are a couple ol guys from the past that were decent drivers at SFCR.I'd kinda like to see maybe Tom Burch also. Wasn't Tommy a damn good sprint car driver back in the day? and Chuck "the one armed bandit" Amati. One of the original outlaws that raced at SFCR quite often and won alot of races as well, i think it'd be nice to have an original outlaw on the wall of fame there at SFCR.

Well, I don't know weather you are looking for anyone who is not a driver, but what about Martha Boren, she has been a scorer for about 16 years and has NEVER missed a night. Now that's devotion to racing in anybodys book.

Or maybe Kirby Laws, he has been the track photographer for a very long time, and a good friend to many racers and fans.

I would like to add that I believe LeaDonna is right about Kenny Harris, he is not only a great racer but a very devoted friend to any one in the racing community who may be in need and that makes him a very good candidate.

I would like to nominate my Dad, Elton "Shorty" Couch, but he didn't race alot at SFCR. I do have an old calendar from the track back in the early 70s. He raced back in the late sixties and early seventies at a number of tracks. I have many trophies, some pictures, and some newspaper clippings but if anyone can remember him or have any old pictures back then I would like to know. Just send me a post or and email at racerwife3d@hotmail.com . His number was 555, 188, or 3. I was little at the time so I don't remember much except that we spent our spare time at the race track. We have gone to the track up until my dad got worse with Alzheimer's Disease. I remember Tommy Sr, Ron Milton, Dean Adams, and others that all raced during this time. There are so many but I have to agree with one of the comments made that we need to nominate someone that has a positive reputation at the track. Kenny Harris has a good reputation on and off the track. So if I had to pick, it would be him. Like I said, there are a good number of racers that I think deserve this award but if I had to choose on merit, it would be Kenny. He continues to give us a good show.

I might be a little byist when i say this but i vote for ron standridge, He has had many track championships at sfcr and has always treated people with great respect and has been racing for over 30yrs. ( oh and by the way zacrates39 he not worried about his boy racing (me) its more of a money thing. hes paying for both of my little brothers college and just really don't have the money to go racing that much anymore and with me racing he don't have that much help anymore either. Plus the deal that happened in Jacksonville a couple of years ago with Paul May really took a lot out of him and his heart just ain't really in it as much as it used to be.

Wall of Fame

I think Timmy is the most deserving, but don't think you should put him in during his prime. Just reserve a spot for him, he will be there someday. He will win several more track championships if he chooses. Ron Standridge is definitely a good choice as well. Good clean driver, and has raced on a low budget deal and is still very competitive. Mike Thurman is also a good choice, won track championships and has moved on to a new level after his driving days were over. I favor the sprints, but agree with others that Kenny Harris is somebody that has always reached out to help others besides being a dang good driver. Tommy Sr is also a good choice, He has raced for a ton of years, and is always competitive as well. Hey millsey, back when it was Empire Speedway they had a couple of people in their Hall of Fame, Tubby was one, but a guy that took care of the track was another. Stumpy Hallet(?) You can see it in the old programs. Maybe they should put his name back up there. Just a thought.

Just my 2 cents worth

When a Baseball player or Football player get nominated into the hall of fame they have reached retirement and their prime. I think the wall of fame should be treated the same way, we all have our favorites and our heroes, and friends and even family, but the wall of fame should be for those that made empire speedway and St. Francois County Raceway what it is today. Fact is almost everyone that has been named, deserves a spot, but I think they to would tell you, DON"T RETIRE ME YET! Each year they should nominate 4 people to the wall of fame one for each turn on the track and it should be 3 drivers and 1 person who made a differance in racing at the track. hey our hot shoes of today will be there but lets not leave the great ones behind. To be put on the wall they should be currently retired from driving. That should be Rule #1 when choosing a driver for the wall.

Mike Thurman, Tommy Burch, Gene Burch, Junior Gile, Dale Resinger, Ron Garner, Ken Buckley Sr. Dickie Dugal, Leanord Mottsinger, Dean Adams Sr.
Jim Morris, Rodney Redmond, Clark Prenaue, Kenny Lachance, Kenny Burch Sr.
and more and more weve had alot of great drivers in the past a wall of fame or a hall of fame is away to remember the past! Hey and its just my 2 cents worth I didn't mean to ofend anyone like I said everyone that you all said deserves to be on the wall but in time.

WeLL ............

Dirt, I can appreciate what you are saying BUT, i dont think age should have anything to do with it. I think it is the accomplishments on and off the track. Yes, each and everyone of the men you mentioned are good drivers so i am not taking that away from them or you. The decision shouldn't be made solely because of age........ LeaDonna

Back