What do u think about hoosier racing tires on pro 4's

scuba

what do u guys think about runnin good tires if u want to not mandatory no bead locks or anything like that just good tires kinda like 1inch lugs n studs if u want not mandititory please give comments like to see us have em in 2011 its a safety thing

i think the problem with this is that the pro4's exist for those who want to have fun without dropping alot of cash. Tires a very expensive so most people run whatever they can get for a low price. i'm not sure exactly what you see "good" as but to me what i see as "good" tires run well above my budget, as well as many others i'm sure. granted i know some pockets are deeper than others, but i've seen alot of cars that only make it out a handful of races a year just to have a bit of fun in the little free time they get. those people are not going to spend that much on a car that only see's a track 3-4 times a year. Now, i don't have a finished car that i've been racing so i'm not really for or against anything, just throwing out my 2¢

I think it would be good for the class to allow racing tires, hell allow bead locks too, if you gotta run 30lbs of air what does it matter. i think the fans will respect the class more the more these look like race cars and not some high school kids car or a demo derby car. Although i will say this year most of the cars look great, vinyl lettering and good paint jobs make a difference! if i had my way i would enforce safety rules very hard! and other that that let the boys play. JMO

what do u guys think about runnin good tires if u want to not mandatory no bead locks or anything like that just good tires kinda like 1inch lugs n studs if u want not mandititory please give comments like to see us have em in 2011 its a safety thing

They do have a 4cyl class that runs racing tires called the mini stock class. And as far as cost, you can pick them up used from other classes for little or nothing.

just wondering how you would get a wide tire on a front wheel drive with the struts in the way the front wheel drive cars would have tires sticking out like an indy car that to me would not be too safe just my thoughts. i also echo cyclone cause i am one of the 4 to 5 races a season pocket books drivers.

go to hoosiers web site they have compact car tires u dont need any racing wheels unless u want to :cool: race tires go on race cars pro4s r race cars is all im sayin

The whole thing with the racing tire issue, granted I'm not he brightest in the shed, the main split between pro4 and mini stocks= the mini stock class allows racing tires and pro4 call for dot tires. If the pro4 started to run racing tires, you might as split the class into mini stocks and front wheel drives. As far as safety, a tire is a tire, if their gonna blow their gonna blow. As far as handling, they do help, but if your car is set up right for your tires, handling shouldn't be an issue.

go to hoosiers web site they have compact car tires u dont need any racing wheels unless u want to :cool: race tires go on race cars pro4s r race cars is all im sayin

looked all over the site and didn't find any with that label. granted i know racing tires for sport compacts do exist, but i still think the majority would see cost outweighing benefit. i work at a place that sells tires and have friends that work at others so for me street tires are perfect because i can get my hands on freebies from multiple places that are used but still have tread.

i also know that if you look hard enough and want to drop the cash on them, there are DOT approved "racing" tires that are available also, i could see those being allowed.

Allowing E Mods would be downright dumb. Sure you'll have the guys running take offs from mods/sportsman.. Then you'll have the guys who buy BRAND NEW Tires every week at $115 a pop. Allowing them takes the "budget" out of the class.
DOT tires should be the only tires run, period.

Just my .02¢

We put Hoosier DOT tires on our pro-4 to run at Pevely it cost $830 for wheels (13")and tires. I should note that I did call to verify that we could run these tires and was told "yes" as long as was a DOT tire. These tires were from Hoosier and had a DOT stamp and serial number. After 2 weeks they told us we had to take them off because it was a competition tire. Something about the carcass not being correct, complete BS if you ask me. The tires did have a positive effect on grip.

Crump

Allowing E Mods would be downright dumb. Sure you'll have the guys running take offs from mods/sportsman.. Then you'll have the guys who buy BRAND NEW Tires every week at $115 a pop. Allowing them takes the "budget" out of the class.
DOT tires should be the only tires run, period.

Just my .02¢
The budget was gone long ago in this class. ? Would they be safer with racing tires?

When I ran my car, I had $300 total in the car.. That's including the car, cage belts 2 new tires.. The works.

I'm all for safety but e mods are just not a good idea. This is how a class gets out of control. I think mandated right side racing studs and nuts should happen though.

We put Hoosier DOT tires on our pro-4 to run at Pevely it cost $830 for wheels (13")and tires. I should note that I did call to verify that we could run these tires and was told "yes" as long as was a DOT tire. These tires were from Hoosier and had a DOT stamp and serial number. After 2 weeks they told us we had to take them off because it was a competition tire. Something about the carcass not being correct, complete BS if you ask me. The tires did have a positive effect on grip.

Crump

You did not speak to the proper person or read the rules pertaining to the tires! The racing/Hoosier tire is not going to happen.

Like I said before, you can win at any track in a Pro-4/Hornet/Sport Compact for less then $1500; and that's allowing $500 for a GOOD cage and the cost of vinyl... I don't know why anyone would be willing to spend $800+ on wheels and tires for this class?!

I say let them run whatever tires they want, it will be more fun to beat them will stock wheels and tires :), i always say let people spend whatever they want to spend. the people that complain about other racers spending "to much on a 4 cylinder" are probably the same people that when looking for a helmet/racing suit/seat belts ask for the cheapest ones there are. I know it is supposed to be affordable class, but i am more concerned with saftey of drivers than what kind of tires they are running.JMO

Unless you are running a completely dry rotted tire, there isn't a safety issue. I have a video (if my computer would let me get it off my camera) where a jr pro4 with avenger tires was handling and cornering just a good as a full blown mini stock. The only safety issue I see is they need to allow bead locks on the right side.

I thought I saw Pro-4's running P/U tires on the right front at TCS last night? Am I seeing things?

i know this thread kinda died off, but i just noticed something while looking through pcs from belle clair last friday.
2X-003.jpg

Back