What's up with the legend?

tatersalad

I hear Tubby "the legend" Black had a bit of a mishap this weekend. Although I hate to hear anyone get in a wreck or get hurt, I think that if this becomes more of a concern, maybe it might be time to hang it up.

I know in the past I have had some negative connotations both given by and directed towards me, but I think that this issue requires serious scrutiny.

I hope we can all just get along and discuss this matter rationally.

If you are referring to his heat, he didnt actually crash but I do think he must have either missed the pedal or his car stumbled. I thought he was going to get run oner.

I agree with your desire to discuss this, instead of people just getting upset and throwing mud.

TatarSalad-
I have noticed the #20 at the end of your posts, do you drive a car?

Don't Understand

Are you that worried about Tubby continuing to race that you don't even know what happened, nor attend the race, and you get on here and discuss it. The wreck was a couple of weeks ago. He was upset with the way they lined the cars up, drove a little harder than normal and slid into the wall. This last week he got a bad start in the heat, but in the semi he outran a few cars, so why don't you bash them. Also, if you are going by wrecks, there are a lot of other people you can get on here and bash. If you have some personal agenda, why don't you just put that on here. Or tell us what car you drive so we can go watch you race. No hard feelings, you are entitled to your opinion, but I don't see commenting on things you didn't apparently see.

I see a pattern

I think you hit the nail on the head. I don't mean about the "agenda" stuff but the fact that it seems as though Tubby is continuously getting into these mishap situations.

Your position in the race may not always be the best, and you have to come ot terms and deal with that. But time and time again it appears that unfortunate things are happening to Tubby and there is always an excuse.

I personally don't know the man from Adam, but at what point does the natural, biological process of aging become an important issue in racing. Not only to Tubby, but to others out there.

Please don't play coy and tell me that when driving down the road you haven't come across an older person who is having trouble behind the wheel.

If you can your a much better person than I am, and maybe thats the case. I just find it hard to believe that an opinion can be objectified with such ferocity even though it is jsut that, an opinion.

All I am looking for are peoples honest opinions, not just criticism about my own. After all, thats what an open forum such as this should be about.

Continuously?

I don't know where you get "continuously" in these mishaps. You obviously don't go to many races, because this year he has been in very few accidents. Anyway, there are young guys out there that are a danger to others, not that they can't drive, just they drive too hard. Tubby knows what he can and can't do. Your comparisons are not just age based are they, unless you are discriminating against the elderly. There are a lot of people on the road that don't need to be there, not just old people. If you ever want to discuss this, come by his trailer at the races, but let me know you are tatersalad so you can talk to him in person like you talk about him on this board.

I generally don't get on here and comment, but when you didn't even go to the races, and get on here like something happened this week, I know you are not much of a race fan and much less a Tubby fan. The wreck happened three Saturdays ago. The following week he didn't get to run much because of brake troubles, and this last Saturday I didn't see any "mishaps". So what do you base this original thread on? A personal agenda.

Honest opinion

When Tubby feels he can't control his car he will hang it up. He is involved in way fewer wrecks on the track than some of the so-called "young guns". You don't see Tub regularly running over people, spinning out, or destroying his car. He has my utmost respect and I'll trust him to decide when he's had enough. Until then I'll continue to enjoy seeing him out there.

I do agree with you on one point, Tubby truly is one of the few legends in sprint car racing.

Young Drivers

Sorry, not trying to pick on young drivers, and especially not Nathan. He does a good job with what he has. I'm just saying overall, Tubby has fewer accidents than a lot of people, young or old. Hope you aren't offended Nate 29.

if something isnt broke, dont fix it....tubby is in no way broke as far as driving abilities go, so why try and run him off? i would bet you in the last three years tubby has been in the least amount of wrecks at stfcr. he knows when it is time to hang it up, and obviously he doesnt feel that way. and as far as not goin just because of this matter....you should feel benafited(spl) to watch the legend run, cause i guarentee that nowhere else will you find someone of that age running a sprintcar on sat. nites.

tatersalad said:
All I am looking for are peoples honest opinions, not just criticism about my own. After all, thats what an open forum such as this should be about.
the first thing youve said that i strongly agree with. i have more than once gotten on peoples bad side just standing for that single point. i get tired of people blindly defending drivers because of their status...especially when they dont usually have all of the info to make a judgement. NO one is above being critisized...not you, me, mills, corey, tubby, joey, or the boo birds. this is all for fun anyway...lets keep in mind that 99.9% of the people racing dont do it for a living...its just entertainment for all of us. opinions about rules drivers and so on is part of what makes it fun. if people have such a problem with someone charing their onpinion...why come on the site? if you disagree...discuss it...dispute their claims...do what you will...but damn...why does everyone get so serious? its getting to the point where NONE of it is fun because its like a damned soap opera. i think everyone is looking forward to a fresh start next year. :)

tater...as far as your opinion on tubby. he has been in VERY few accidents this season and most are minor. like i said the last time this came up...its damn cool hes driving...enjoy it. if the other drivers dont have a problem with him...and he doesnt have a problem...then why do you care? pardon the pun, but he paved the way for a lot of these guys and it will be a sad day when he goes. hes a very nice man and im sure if you cared to discuss his being out there with him...he would gladly talk to you. if you want another idea of why he keeps going...walk through the pits and ask the other drivers what they think of him. he knows what he can and cant do and where he can go...and they all have the exact same respect for him. that being the case...why should he stop?

I've been going to SFCR for many years and will be saddened at the non-appearance of the red, white, and blue #1 sprinter when Tubby decides to quit driving. As a racer, who has turned fast laps on dirt I feel I am qualified to be opinionated for this thread...LOL I don't see how Tubby is a danger to the class, at least not as dangerous as the little old lady looking through her steering wheel to drive her Chevy Caprice down the interstate. I see him as the gray headed ol' guy zipping down the freeway in a Ferrari! His lap times are not that far off, I don't think he is getting lapped in heats or at least he hasn't when I've been there. Even if he was slower, the guys that race with him know he is there and could make accomodations to race around him and I think they would do just that without much complaint. He is an ambassador to the sport and they(drivers) know it and respect him. Alot of them were watching him as little tikes running around at the track.
As far as incidents go; Tubby is as consistent at running a respectable line around the track as Tommy Jr. has been at hitting the fence in turns 3&4 the last two times I've been there.:O

At least I didn't see Tubby spin from the front row of the B main in turn 1, and at least he wasn't the guy knocking "Fast" Jimmy Hurley out of a chance at a Dash win!

Maybe you have an Opinion about Ed Dixons mishap on Wed. night when he drove under Hammerle in the heat. Is he too old as well? You know, he HAS been racing for a LONG TIME too!!

BTW, Tatersalad...What car do you drive?

I'll be in the #75 Dwarfcar(mod-lite) next season. I've done 100 Mph on dirt, have you? Just wondering.

DirtSurfer said:
I don't see how Tubby is a danger to the class, at least not as dangerous as the little old lady looking through her steering wheel to drive her Chevy Caprice down the interstate!

LMAO. And they never go more than about 50MPH, either. :eek:

Seriously, let's hope that Tubby keeps going for just as long as he wants to. Maybe he can be the Jack Lalane of sprint car racing--only with a firesuit instead of a jumpsuit. :D

An analogy from a different motorsport, but--Anybody on here from southern Illinois ever been to a tractor pull around here? Then you probably saw Henry Piper pull his "Hauling Harvester" super stock deep into his 80s. H--l, as long as Tubby wants to keep doing what he does and he maintains a safe speed, I hope he's still around and racing when he's 100! :)

let me ask and no one jump by *** about it. how come tubby is still out on the track? is it the passion he has for sprint car racing? just a couple of honest questions. i just think if it were me in tubby's shoes i'd just be tired of never winning or anything do you people kinda get what i mean?like, i cant do what i used to is what i'm trying to say. i feel like tubby stays around and races still cause he loves to race and he has so many fans that wouldnt know what to think if the #1 wasnt out on the track. it'll be sad when the time comes when the ol #1 isnt out there anymore, and i think some of you know time is winding down and it's gettin closer and closer. but however, when tubby hangs it up that doesnt mean we wont see the ol #1, i had a thought that maybe he could become an owner and he could hire a driver. sound good anyone???that way we know tubby is still at SFCR just not behind the wheel. i just thought i'd share all this with you all, just a thought. no one get angry or anything, not meaning to get people mad!:)

tatersalad said:
You got a dwarf up to 100 mph on dirt. What were you dongs, running it down a mountian?
I can assume that you are asking what I was "doing"...... :rolleyes:

Malden Mo. used to host the SMDC association. 3/8 mile, wide surface and gumbo dirt. 105 m.p.h. on straights in the heat races, info provided by the guys operating the radar gun at the end of the front straight...... :p If you would like to know more about how FAST these cars really are, modlite#8 could probably enlighten you on the facts and figures of turning laps at the new Poplar Bluff Raceway, it is even faster than Malden was. :D

Again, what do YOU race? Enquiring minds would like to know.

This enquiring mind would like to say that most race cars can reach 100mph or over on the straights but it depends on the length of the track. But you're not comparing apples to apples are you. Malden is not Farmington. It is pretty easy to go that fast when you don't do much sliding in the corners. Slam that dwarf car sideways in the corner like a sprint car and see what kind of speeds you have. Who exactly is it are you trying to impress with all of this? Enlighten me.....LOL :rolleyes:

Will we be seeing the #75 mod-lite in victory lane next year? I'm kind of a #40 mod-lite fan myself. :D

Why does Tubby still race ? You ask ?

Well this is how I see it , once some people retire from thier jobs in life , they are suppose to go and move to sunny states like Florida or California , and relax and 9 chances out 10 they end up passing away from boredom.
And I am not saying that Tubby would move away, but I am saying if he quits doing this sport and just sit out on the sideline he would be unhappy. His health would go down hill and he wouldnt be the same .
What I am getting at is, this sport keeps his mind going and he has nothing better to do, and he is not hurting anyone, and it is his money to blow on the car, so why does anyone really care ? I know I dont, if my dad was able to do this I would love it and my dad is almost as old as Tubby . All I can say is that I admire the man for what he does and oh heck Tubby !!!!!! Run the wheels off that car and have fun doing it , you only live once !!!!!

Back