Why we have high gas prices

ALCOHOL

#1 Rule Bender
On Yahoo web page this a.m.,,there is an article about Exxon-Mobil profits for the 4th quarter. Profits of $10.7 BILLION dollars for the 4th quarter alone...$36.1 billion for the year. Anyone care to wander about price gouging? Why doesn't the government take a look at this? They jail people, Martha Stewart, for selling their stocks but let everyone in the US pay these rediculous prices at the pump for fuel. We all should boycott this oil company....

You hear this kind of stuff and then you drive by the pumps and wonder why are these prices this high. There is no need for these companies to be making that kind of money while the rest of us lose money as prices for everything goes up because of high gas prices.
We have to pay added fuel charges for services we need, like garbage collect. They added a fuel charge. Everything else costs more because it needs to get to the stores and that means trucks.
I know we need to fix things that broke and they need to look for new sources of oil, but these kinds of profits is way out there and the price of gas needs to come down $.20 to .30 or more. Keep the little people back thier money!

There reasoning for high gas prices is probably to slow the public from burning so much fuel. In reality, they just want to make as much as they can not caring what they are doing to the economy. Such as Ford's big layoff. Fuel company's, insurance company's and Lawyer's run the country. So who will make the most money off of it is logical! It will not be us!

J. Smith

I could not agree more. The gas prices are no doubt part of the demise of the closures and layoffs. And the fact the other car companies are having major issues also. It cost us all in the end more ways than one. Everything we buy as far as clothing and the food chain is impacted horrifically.
Can't wait to see what the others made off of gouging! What ashame this was not addressed last quarter when they announced their mastadon profits. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Oil is a commodity traded on the stock exchange. The same people that complain about the government must now be wanting them to take over this too! Then you will have something to complain about! And the worst gas lines and prices we had in the 70's was when Carter was in the White House not Tricky Dicky! Or at least that is the way I remember it. Although the 70's was a little rough on a guys memory! I was in Europe in the early 80's and we are just now getting to the prices they were paying then. Was the people in our government responsible for that also? I don't care who is in power, you are going to pay what the market will bear. Strangely enough that is called a "Free Market" or Capitalism. Are we gonna cry this loudly about pork bellies or the price of oranges? They are traded much the same way. If you had a product that is traded on the stock exchange, would you cut your costs to appease the public? I don't want to pay any more than I have to either but I am not going to blame the Dems or the Republicans for the price of gas. Guess we should all go out and buy a hybrid and collect on the tax break! It's either that or buy stock in your favorite oil company! By the way, a friend of mine has a son that is currently in training to work on an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico and he is going to start out at $175,000 a year, if you are looking for a new career that might be the area to be in.

The grunts on the oil rigs don't make $175,000.00 a year. My cousin used to work on one. I don't remember gas prices being $2.25 a gallon in 1970's. No one was pointing fingers at Bush. It's the government in general that allow things to happen. Such as the natural gas company's being allowed to charge a rate for business being slow from people trying to save money and turning the thermostats down. I have a body shop. Buseiness has been slow. Will the government allow me to send everyone a minimum use bill. Same way with the american auto manufacturers. They can't send everone in the U.S. a bill because there profits are down.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Exxon Mobil Corp. (NYSE:XOM - news), the world's largest publicly traded oil company, reported a quarterly profit of $10.7 billion on Monday, rounding out the most profitable year in U.S. corporate history.
The results pushed up Exxon's profit for the year to a staggering $36.13 billion -- bigger than the economies of 125 of the 184 countries ranked by the World Bank. Profit rose 42 percent from 2004, largely due to soaring oil and gas prices.

:confused:
ALCOHOL said:
On Yahoo web page this a.m.,, Why doesn't the government take a look at this?

It might be that the government>>>>> president and vice president>>>>> own the gas companies or at least stock in them.

jumpinjackdw

Dave..thats true..and it goes deeper. Alot of the elected officials have dibs in oil stock..alot..or..are paid by said companies to let things...go easy for them(emission laws...taxes...ect...) Its a viscious circle...and we the people are paying for it..big time. Exxon relesed their profits...wait till the others do also(I have a brother in law..works for amoco..in virginia...175,000 a year...ya bet ya its possible!!) Plus..he said..they were all informed..Amoco had a record...no..wait..he said...a wumdinger of a year!!! So..it will go on..nothing will be done..because...we need it..and they know it.

And to think these same oil companies get TAX breaks also!
Just thank all of those people who re-elected DUBYA!

If the price of gas is so high because the Arab's have raised crued oil so high, how can the refineries be having such high profits for the year?

Exxon/Mobil is not producing anymore fuel this year than last year. But, made a whole heck of alot more profit on it this year. WHY we say............ PRICE !! Its all in price.

racin90 said:
it will go on..nothing will be done..because...we need it..and they know it.

I have to agree with you. Make you wonder if we should feel lucky we got by as long as we did before this stuff happened.

Well, the gas prices went up $0.20 on the east side this morning. Up to $2.38 a gallon for unleaded.

Its pretty simple...every business operates to maximize profits....they are doing nothing different from other businesses. The bad thing is that they can do it with a product that is pretty much a need in American life. On the other hand, people need to go out and get fuel efficient cars. When demand goes down so do the prices. So no *****ing unless you are driving the most efficient vehicle that you can (depends on your job).

Instead of b**ching and moaning on stlracing about high oil prices, why don't you guys use your energy wisely and call on your congressman or senator and ask them about what their plans are for alternative energy sources. We need to rid our dependency on crude oil but no one is doing anything about it. Bush isn't and neither are your liberal Democratic friends.

We can cry all day folks about high energy prices but it won't do any of us any good. The days of fuel under $2.00 are long gone. It's not coming back down. :eek:

Yep, here goes the press again, villifying corporate profits.

Wal-Mart is the evil empire. Why? Because they are successful.
If the oil companies were losing money, no one would be concerned because they had no money to explore for new oil.
That is, until we had no oil to refine, then everyone would be blaming the government.

Oh, yes, I forgot, it's Bush's fault.

You could have elected Algore, whose father used to be a Senator, and then worked for Occidental Petroleum, and then gave all his stock to his son, Algore.
What? Democrats don't own stock in oil companies! They don't have enough money!
Yeah, right, and a pig's butt isn't pork.

And, for those who said the oil companies got a tax break, remember this.

NO company, public or private pays taxes.

THEIR CUSTOMERS pay it.

Increase a corporation's taxes, you increse the consumer's prices.

Why always look to the government for solutions? Everything they get involved in goes to Hades in a handbasket.

When alternative fuels become an economically viable option, the private industry will have a solution.

IOW, when it becomes profitable, it will happen. And, since there's NO DEMAND for it, industry won't supply it. Why?

They will lose money, and the stockholders (that's many of us) bail out of the company. Then what?

PRICES GO UP.

It's called the free market system. Supply and demand, it's that simple.

Want gas prices to go down? Reduce consumption. Don't just sit here and beotch and complain. Do something about it!

Back