Can I use a 283 in Pure Stock?

Racerrod

racerrod
Am I allowed to use a 283 engine in my pure stock I am building for BelleClair Speedway?? Thanks.

RacerRod

Dont know, but it would be to your advantage....I it were bored a (certain amount), and geared in the neighborhood of 7.10-7.20 ;)

Im not sure what heads came on 283's but if you have to run 305 or 350 heads on it(legal head numbers),It prolly wont be legal,exp. 283 with 882 (350 heads) wouldnt be legal cuz it didnt come stock with those heads on it,Id find a good 350 with 882 heads,I think i would gear it around 7.40-7.60.JMO

I was kinda sitting here thinking, you could, but would you want to? Considering there are so many 350's around, just make it easy on yourself.:confused:

gm

So any 350 gm engine is legal, or just 350 chevies?.I heard that you can run a 305 in the trucks wih a 450 cam and a holley 500.If so, that seems like it would be the way to go.Is this true?A (legal) 305 will not run with a 350.How strict do they get at belleville.If someone claimes someone else and lets say there heads are 73cc instead of 76 cc, is that considered illegal, or say you have 0 deck height, is that considered illegal.(Most stock engines are 15 to 30 from the ones i have taken apart.Just trying to get an idea as to what you can do.Can you run a bigger cam in the 305s there in the car? .How much overbore can you run?.Can you answer some of these questions jason?Thanks for your reply.

Get the rules for the track you want to run at, and then ask the tech guy at the track all of your questions.

i dont understand why you cannot run a 283??it is in the same group as the 305 and 350...if i were you racer rod i would check..if you can run a 283 it would be perfect.i say this because of the short stroke,they rev good..the short stroke of the 283 on that track would help you .if you can and do indeed use a 283 find a set of power pack heads,that comination on bellclaire in that class would be a good one...if not use a 350....good luck

I have a 307 short block I"ll sell you for $250. You would have to change the camshaft. It has a stck appearing claimer oil pan on it.

railrocket007 said:
So any 350 gm engine is legal, or just 350 chevies?.I heard that you can run a 305 in the trucks wih a 450 cam and a holley 500.If so, that seems like it would be the way to go.Is this true?A (legal) 305 will not run with a 350.How strict do they get at belleville.If someone claimes someone else and lets say there heads are 73cc instead of 76 cc, is that considered illegal, or say you have 0 deck height, is that considered illegal.(Most stock engines are 15 to 30 from the ones i have taken apart.Just trying to get an idea as to what you can do.Can you run a bigger cam in the 305s there in the car? .How much overbore can you run?.Can you answer some of these questions jason?Thanks for your reply.
I dont want to burst your bubble or make you mad but i can garauntee you a "305 " will run with and out run a " 350 " . And do it legally.

thats why alot of guys that wanted to cheat in years past used 305 heads on a 350 cause they are actually better

Do you have a cam lift rule? If not you can run power packs, and a Duntov 30-30 cam. You will have all the mid-high range power you need, but you have to turn it hard. You will be lacking the dome pistons, and be running flat tops. It will start to come in at @3400, and pull through 8500 With good springs.

Run a 2 valve relief flat top with the above combination, and zero deck it if you think it needs it. I doubt it will.. Save your money for good pistons, and balancing. The heads are perfect for a short track, and the chambers are 55-58 cc, stock. These items arent hard to find.

I dont see anyway a 305 can run with a 350.Im not saying that a 305 cant beat another car with a 350 in it, but i guarentee if you put the 350 in the car with the 305, it will be faster.You cant make up 45 cubic inches with the little bit of compression you are going to gain with the 305 heads and flatops, and can you even run a flattop in a 305 since they came with dish pistons from the factory?The rules say oem or stock, so a flatop isnt oem or stock in a 305.The 305 heads actually flow less than a good smog head say a 441 or 487 etc.A 305 isnt going to rev any diff than a 350(same stroke), and the diff in piston weight isnt a factor, so where do you think you can make up the 45 cubic inches?The smaller bore will also hinder the 305 with valve shrouding.I think the 12 car at belleville had a 305, but i dont know that for sure.He has a good car and he is a smooth driver, so that helps alot, but i bet if you ask him, he was down on power compared to the 350s.All the fast bombers?streetsocks are running 350s etc.You wont see them running a 305.You are just giving up way to much.You can probally get by with a 305 at belleville, but you will be faster with a 350.And if you dyno the motors, the 350 will make more torque and horsepower from 0 to redline, and i know you dont race dynos, but you can use ALL of the power the 350 makes , even when its dry, especially on bigger tracks.Im not saying you cant port the heads (acid) etc and raise the compression, etc, but im talking apples to apples comparison.Not looking to upset ya , just discuss it.(PS TWEAKED).People dont try that with the 305 heads much anymore.The dont flow as well as the 350 heads, and you can get the same compression with the 350 heads with milling etc and still be legal when they check the casting number.

rail rocket if you do your homework right a 305 will run with a 350...we can set here all day long and argue about it and this is pretty much the same situation i talked about in the tech forum about 355's and 406's....the only thing that the 350 has over the 305 is the cubic inch.other than that they are almost identical.thus the 350 will have a little more torque,which could be made up by heads and deck height if legal...if you are wondering what to do to the 305's let me know the exact rules and pm me and id be glad to tell you..i can gaurantee on the dyno with 2 motors built to this class specs you would be real surprised how close the two would be....you say you give way too much up with a 305,well a 283 is alot smaller than a 350 and will run with it any day of the week and even tore up big blocks in the day(torque monsters)...the hole point is that the old saying about there is no placement for displacement has its place and really isnt too true anymore unless your on a 15 inch tire and a half mile track...smaller engines can run you just gotta use your head a little bit...

one more thing..yes you can run flatops in a 305..they actually make a good one that has no valve releifs(hint) that works well in certain apps...

Back