Lake Hill Speedway?

Guza

Anyone know what is going on there? I drove by the other day and saw some Public Notice signs up. Maybe trying to get clearance to build something there?

Lake Hill??????? now theres a track I hadnt heard about in ages. Used to go see Sifford, & Wallace race there. It must be filled with water by now being that close to the river with all the flooding over the years.

They ruined the joint when they asphalted it. But it was something to do on Sunday nights when we were kids. River infested mosquitos as big as hummingbirds, but it didnt stop us.

Good memories there. Could hear the engines from the house and you knew it was summer.

went by there when i came out off the military and snuck in and took a look and was heart broken buildings all falling in and pits full of water :(

Thats where my Dad took me for my first dirt track race and I've been hooked ever since. I just wish it would've stayed open so I could've took my kids.

My grandfather raced latemodels at Lakehill Speedway. My father raced hobbystock at Lakehill Speedway also. I love to look at all the pictures my grandpa has. He even has film(s) from back then on an 8mm projector of the racing at Lakehill Speedway. The video has not faired well over the years though. One of my family members looked into having the film(s) restored but the person they took it to said it was a lost cause. I just recently got into dirt track with a friend that bought a car and we run at pevely. Old car photos are awesome to look at! The stories my family tells are awesome too!

Lakehill Speedway

I'm the new owner of the Lakehill Speedway and have been interested in its history. Atthough I remember "Be There!" when KXOK advertised race night, I never had the opportunity to attend.

Anyway, I was wondering if there is any interest in having a reunion-type event out there. While the place is completely run-down, there may be a lot of you who would like to have one last look and maybe one last lap.

We are planning to redevelop the site sometime next year and are just now starting to clear out the brush. Over the years a lot of junk has accumulated and I am trying to get it all removed. The old concession stands have almost completely fallen in and will eventually be torn down for safety reasons and then the race track will be removed for good. I just regret tearing up so many memories, but alas, that is the way it goes.

The track, as many of you know, is filled with water. I hope to have it pumped out sometime this summer. And the track surface is filled with trees and bushes. I will try to remove them without tearing up the track too much.

I am thinking about a one-day open house sometime next September or October. I am not really prepared for a lot of people, but would like to let those who are interested have a chance to stop by.

Please respond with any thoughts or ideas. I look forward to hearing from you.

KEG

Sounds like this could be a really cool deal for those that have memories of Lakehill. Although maybe never being able to race there again it may be nice to have a day to come out see the ole track and remember things of the past before it is leveled totally.

Very nice of you KEG to think of the fellow racers and what not and possibly doing something like you have mentioned.

Tom

The first race I ever went to was at Lake Hill. My Dad was in the pits for Mike Fogobach (not sure on the spelling). I remember him talking to me through the fence during intermission telling me to watch this new kid since it was his first night driving and the kid was Rusty Wallace. My sister swears Rusty won but I do not remember. What I do remember is getting a ride in Mike's car after the races though, when he was pulling it on the trailer he told me that the brakes were out. I doubted it until he pressed the brake pedal to the floor and we didn’t slow down one bit. He got it on the trailer without incident, but I would not go on anymore rides until he showed me that the brakes worked. Cool memories!

The track, as many of you know, is filled with water. I hope to have it pumped out sometime this summer. And the track surface is filled with trees and bushes. I will try to remove them without tearing up the track too much.

Please respond with any thoughts or ideas. I look forward to hearing from you.

KEG

PAVE IT !! ................and they will come:D;) The closest paved track to here is 4 hours away and they run on Fridays..........Even though its probaly not practical to re-open Lakehill, I think many locals would try pavement if there was one close enough and alot of guys in the Springfield/Lebonon area would tow up here since they put dirt on their track.:(:( (no they didn't put dirt on Lebonon cause car or fan count was down)

I know, I know...."Dirt is for racing and pavement is for getting there" but think about this

Where did most of the "Big Time" drivers get their start, or get noticed? Just think about the midwest. Martin, McMurry, Edwards, The Wallaces, Boyer. Thats just in Missouri..........Don't make me go into Wisconsin or Kentucky.:p

...............Yes I think Pevely is the most premier track around here and has some of the best drivers in the country, in modifieds anyway. (Iowa has some really good ones too) but, how many dirt stars from around here have made it so far into the "Big Time"

I must be missing some but, the only one I can think of at the moment is Justin Allgier(spelling) could be on his way running ARCA but I'm thinkin he had to have some $$$$$$ backing to make the move.

Just think if we had a pavement track as premier as Pevely how much talent we have in these parts that could make it big. I've always dreamed of someone like Schrader opening up a pavement track in these parts.

OK..........you internet/racing guru's can beat me up now :rolleyes: Joe....We don't need your comments :D

Great Idea

That would be awesome to have one more day at Lake Hill. I am sure many of the old drivers would come out. I stopped by the track several years ago to look at it ,yes the infield is full of water,in fact the water went up to the top of the track,you could barely see any of the pavement. I really hope the owner follows through on his offer to have an open house. I can almost guarantee 2 ex drivers will stop by,Ray Eby and Kenny Shrum.It will not take much persuading.

PAVE IT !! ................and they will come:D;) The closest paved track to here is 4 hours away and they run on Fridays..........Even though its probaly not practical to re-open Lakehill, I think many locals would try pavement if there was one close enough and alot of guys in the Springfield/Lebonon area would tow up here since they put dirt on their track.:(:( (no they didn't put dirt on Lebonon cause car or fan count was down)

I know, I know...."Dirt is for racing and pavement is for getting there" but think about this

Where did most of the "Big Time" drivers get their start, or get noticed? Just think about the midwest. Martin, McMurry, Edwards, The Wallaces, Boyer. Thats just in Missouri..........Don't make me go into Wisconsin or Kentucky.:p

...............Yes I think Pevely is the most premier track around here and has some of the best drivers in the country, in modifieds anyway. (Iowa has some really good ones too) but, how many dirt stars from around here have made it so far into the "Big Time"

I must be missing some but, the only one I can think of at the moment is Justin Allgier(spelling) could be on his way running ARCA but I'm thinkin he had to have some $$$$$$ backing to make the move.

Just think if we had a pavement track as premier as Pevely how much talent we have in these parts that could make it big. I've always dreamed of someone like Schrader opening up a pavement track in these parts.

OK..........you internet/racing guru's can beat me up now :rolleyes: Joe....We don't need your comments :D
pave it 4 1 more day at the track, that sounds like a smart idea.. have a nice day..:)

I have an old article that the Belleville News Democrat did on my dad in 1976. In it it mentions how he would run on friday nights at Belle-Clair, and then if he had to work he would leave, or if he didnt he would go home and then the next morning he would be out working on the car to set it up for Lake Hill. I dont know when the track closed down, or if I even went there as a baby, but if everyone's memories are like the ones I have from growing up in turn 3 at Belle-Clair, then everyone's memories should be wonderful. A trip there would be nice, to see where my dad raced at in his 2nd full season. To see a track where the likes of Rusty Wallace used to rac would be a neat thing. It's sad that they are going to tear it all down. I wish there was a way to fix it back up and race there once again.

There is a lady in the area who is working on a book about St.Louis racing history. I think she would be thrilled to get a chance to get a bunch of old timers together at the track once it is pumped dry. I can tell you first hand that it takes qiute some time to pump that thing out! I had to do it once after a flood filled it up. It would be great to see it one more time before it is gone-except the memories will live as long as we do.

Marty Heutel

Marty,

Tell us more. How were you related to the track?

KEG
My father built the track back in 1948. It was owned by our family until February 1980. I spent much of my childhood and the majority of my life until 1980 there. My mom and I lived there for about 12 years. I have more than my share of memories of the old track. I would like to walk one more lap there myself.

Marty

Marty,

Thanks for replying. I was hoping to make contact with the family that built the track! While it is certainly not what it was back in the day, I would love to have you come out for a visit and share your memories. seems like everywhere I turn, I run into folks who have memories of the place. I didn't realize what a gem it is for so many.

As we look forward to a future development, I don't want to lose the history of the place. Any pictures, memories, thoughts you (or anyone else) can share would be most appreciated.

Call me sometime so we can talk about the past and about one more open house. I think it would really be cool to open the track up for a few more laps.

KEG

I don't really know what name any future development might have. I have only been involved with the property for about a month. I hate to admit, but I have not been a big racing fan (no offense, I just have a different hobby) and I really didn't know the track carried so many memories. But I do know that racing fans are two things: they are really into the sport and they are really good people. That's why I want to bring back some of the memories before the place is completely changed.

Right now I am busy just clearing junk and brush. The next step is to get the fish out of the track and then drain it. Who know what lies beneath. But even walking around on the small portion of track still above water I can feel the memories and the fun so many had at the place.

KEG

I don't really know what name any future development might have. I have only been involved with the property for about a month. I hate to admit, but I have not been a big racing fan (no offense, I just have a different hobby) and I really didn't know the track carried so many memories. But I do know that racing fans are two things: they are really into the sport and they are really good people. That's why I want to bring back some of the memories before the place is completely changed.

Right now I am busy just clearing junk and brush. The next step is to get the fish out of the track and then drain it. Who know what lies beneath. But even walking around on the small portion of track still above water I can feel the memories and the fun so many had at the place.

KEG
I think what ever you do you will do it with style,,Thanks!!!

Back