late model tire rules?

crash9

Quincy just changed their tire rules. Is there any changes to the other area tracks or is it just 20s and 40s still?

We looked at a lot of different options at Quincy and also have the added background of most of the tracks North of us going to the 30/40 right rear while staying 20/30/40 on the other corners. For 2015 our rule at Quincy will be 30/40 on Right Rear, 20/40 on the other corners. We are also reducing our weekly features to 25 laps from the present 30.

By staying at 20/40 on the other corners, we have tires on those corners that are the same as both the StL area and the Illinois tracks North of us. You can run a 20/40 at either group of tracks on LF, RF, LR so you aren't buying tires for those corners just for Quincy. On the RR, with the 30/40 we will have slightly hardened the RR, have a rule consistent with the Northern tracks but not totally in line with the StL area. It was a compromise between consistency with other tracks, a general desire to harden the tire, and being right in the middle geographically.

Last edited:
In my opinion all tracks should override UMP and go across the board with 40s. UMP will not change the rule because it cost them money and Brian Carter and Sam won't be able to vacation in Tahiti together if this change happens. Bet Sam looks good in a speedo!

In my opinion all tracks should override UMP and go across the board with 40s. UMP will not change the rule because it cost them money and Brian Carter and Sam won't be able to vacation in Tahiti together if this change happens. Bet Sam looks good in a speedo!
good job edndless ripping of UMP UMP give the tracks the choices its up the tracks yo which is best if you want the all the 40 rule have a vote at the track can't be that hard

When you take away a option of a tire choice prepping is going to be a must... And ur going to be just spending more time and money on tires... Ask any go kart racer they don't go to a tire rule race and run with one set they go with multiple and there prepped different ways and cut different ways if u wanna save money mandate that u run the same rr all night long! Then u don't no what durometer tire or how soft of a tire you can get away with....

When you take away a option of a tire choice prepping is going to be a must... And ur going to be just spending more time and money on tires... Ask any go kart racer they don't go to a tire rule race and run with one set they go with multiple and there prepped different ways and cut different ways if u wanna save money mandate that u run the same rr all night long! Then u don't no what durometer tire or how soft of a tire you can get away with....

Agreed. These are the kind of ideas that UMP should be fielding to make this sport less expensive. I would have the rule but with only one tire compound. In additional, the tire deal further separates the teams with money and those without. If you want more competition, due to a decrease in tire expense and HP then make a change to a single compound.

Daryn the Mars series has done the 55 rule for years. Funny never hear about tire dope or alligations in that series. With proper testing tire dope won't be a problem..

Daryn the Mars series has done the 55 rule for years. Funny never hear about tire dope or alligations in that series. With proper testing tire dope won't be a problem..
Ump is a hard comparison to Mars... Much larger ton more tracks spanned in a larger area you can't take away profits from tire sales by mandating 40s then demand tighter tire testing... Even to ask local tracks that are struggling to higher a extra guy to durometer tires before races in stagging is getting harder there's no easy answer it's just hard to take money away from a company and then expect them to spend a bunch more on testing its still a business for ump

UMP is supposed to be testing now!!!! Secondly, cheaters are gonna cheat whether you have one tire compound or fifty.

Do you know how much money UMP makes? Plenty! Stop defending a sanctioning body that doesn't do its job and increases the cost of racing! Look around and see what is happening. Race teams are less in numbers every year.

here is the rule I would put in for tire doping first time 50 lbs on the motor plate second 250 third time 700 lbs that goes with the driver amd tea, a;sp no matter what class

UMP is supposed to be testing now!!!! Secondly, cheaters are gonna cheat whether you have one tire compound or fifty.

Do you know how much money UMP makes? Plenty! Stop defending a sanctioning body that doesn't do its job and increases the cost of racing! Look around and see what is happening. Race teams are less in numbers every year.
Not defending anyone just saying its not that simple you cant cut income and increase your expenses..thats not a good business model. Theres room for improvement theres no doubt in that also. and ump is responsible to help make those improvements at any cost to keep a reputable sanction.

The problem now is all the money that hard working 40hr a week racer spend goes to Woo.. We pay the bills for the traveling series.. Hoosier is making plenty on tire sales. That's why they make a tire for every possible thing that races.. Ump going to one tire wouldn't hurt hoosier probably to the point they wouldn't even notice... Even if they did who cares... Hoosier and ump have been playing pocket pool with each other for years.. I think Hoosier makes great tires. There's no reason to have multiple compounds. If you figured with tires that Hoosier gives to travelers If they paid for them we'd probably only only pay 100$ a tire but guess who makes up difference. I'm with Al if someone is going to cheat them up!!!!! They probably are already..!!!

you two aren't addressing the issue with your perfect rule that i keep bringing up if your not going to police it... and your cutting income so its less likely to be policed then whats the difference between me having 8 40's 4 durometered at 55-60 and 4 durometered at 25-30 ??????? your rule still has to be policed if not then its the same as me have 4 40's and 4 20's i agree a all 40 rule policed such as mars does is the way to go simplifies alot. but has to be policed!!!

Daryn, your argument makes zero sense. Under a rough calculation UMP was paid over $500,000 for tire sponsor monies for late model tires last year. During last year I saw no testing of tires at local tracks. So by cutting their monies how are you hurting the testing? They are already doing nothing! In addition, as I said before; cheaters are going to cheat either way. You aren't increasing cheating by limiting tire compounds. For the life of me I could never understand someone saying," I'm Ok with paying more for tires and will allow the sanctioning body to continue to do a shitty job." One thing this tells me for sure is that you probably are not the guy paying for tires!

One last point---. At one point in time I sponsored the engine tech for the UMP crates. That means that I provided replacements motors (2) for racers to use while their engine was at Mullins being teched. I also paid for the cost of Mullins to tech the motor (i.e. tear down , gaskets etc) During the last year of that deal UMP teched zero motors. I would know because I was the guy paying the bill. Under this scenario they has zero dollars expense in teching and still didn't tech. Explain that!

Back