What is with the announcer at I-55?

bloomerlver

What is with the announcer at I-55? Where I used to live the announcer talked about racing not telling jokes and making fun of people. He announced every driver talked about every driver and announced the entire line up and finish. I'm still learning these driver and I'm having a hard time learning which driver drives which car because when he says the line up he gives some of the number with the name of the driver and other times he just says the name with no number.

Saturday night he talked about a strip club. I thought this was a family event, all the kids who were around me asked their parents what the place was.

What happened to talking about the drivers and races?

Kathy Johnston

Hey Kathy,

I agree with you. I am local and know most of the drivers as it is, but it would nice if when doing the line up he did the line up and said the car number and name of the driver. When the race is going on Mike only talks about certain drivers and Paul talked about the drivers in the Sportsman and Pro 4 class, it was interesting to know who was who. I would also like for the entire finish to be announced but not many announcers anywhere do that anymore.

The jokes and the stupid things said about people must be funny to some but not to me or my family. No offense all who love the entertainment, I go the races for races not comedy night. The girl (maybe 9) sitting next to me at Pevely ask her mother if they could go to that place he keeps talking about, Mike she wanted to know if she could go to the Hustler Club, this is a family place.

I have no problem with announcers saying who the sponsors are on a race car (I don't think Larry Flint's Hustler Club was a sponsor) but I know the Pure Pleasure sponsored a few cars, but if that is the case then just announce the place of businiess and be done with it. When you draw attention to it over and over and over again people retain it especially children.

I know many of you will disagree with me on here and thnk Mike does an awesome job, he does a great job when is talking about the racing, the cars and such.

I just want to hear more about the race that is going on and less about what the announcer thinks is funny. Sorry Mike I am not bashing even though it may be taken that way. Thank God my nephews were not there Saturday.

While we are on the subject of announcing... I was wondering why there have not been any post FEATURE race interviews with the winning driver on the front stretch?

Mike is the best announcer in the area hands down! If you dont like Mike, he announces at Belleville and I-55 go to Tri City on Fridays and Highland on Saturdays! Keep up the great work Mike!!

Mike is by far the best.I do agree with Tina hearing from the feature winners would be great esp if it is like there first feature win in a div but mike don't change a thing buddy you are the man.Now the sportsman announcer he is well not good at all to say the least.

Sorry if I offended anyone, that, of course, was not my intent.

Though I did mention the name of a business I did not describe or elaborate on what type of business it was or encourage anyone, especially small children, to patronize it.

In my opinion, there are much worse things said and seen on TV from 6 -10 PM every week night, but I also agree everyone has a right to thier own opinion. Points noted.

We'll try to get driver interviews in after the features but I can't make any promises it will happen on a regular basis. It seems we're always pressed for time at Pevely and
with a lot of drivers, crews, and fans traveling over an hour to get to the track we try to finish the show as soon as possible.

TTG/MM

ok was going to let this one go and also was going to say something but thought I would let it go BUT since it's brought up heres my 3 cents because I also had a kid down infront of me ask his mom about the club. Darn race cars didnot get to hear her answer. I bet it was a good one. The bad thing is I did hear it was there 1st time there but willing to bet there last. Now as posted above if it was a sponsor maybe ok but it was not, the comments kept coming off and on a few times during the night directed to a sertin group of people. I know very distastfull. Now I think Mike is a nice guy but somethings need to be kept to themselfs. The club in question got more sponsorship advertising than any billboard on the fence. JD12 how can't you take offence to promoting a strip club with kids around? Oh if you did not support places like that you might have more time to talk about the guys in the back as they also are having some great racing. You never talked about the 00 moving up untill he got in your line of sight, that happens to be only in the front 3 cars or the local favorite that weekend. And to think people why the fan count is droping. Oh on a differnt subject jh11zracefan that meeting I told you about is later today. Just one last thing those people you kept with on the tastless joke and the Zestyboyzzz are not the only people in the stands. Spend more time talking about the drivers and there sponsors because without the sponsors the drivers would not be able to go racing then we all would be done there. JMO like it or not.
Hay Talker guy just read your post and thank you for steping up and replying to all the post your a nice guy and do a great job it's just as talking about the fans and there off track events and some of the favortisum that go's around there makes a lot of people think the place is one sided.

Well I was not going to say anything because any time I say something on here I get bashed, but I agree this is a family joint kids are there for the races. Good thing my kids were not there Saturday night. With the things being said at the track I would not want to bring anyone new to the track. I agree Kent if it weren't for the drivers and sponsors there would not be the great racing we have. As for what is said on TV, I don't have to watch it or let my kids watch it. If I want to see my local favorite driver on a Saturday night I have to hear what is said at the track. Before you say don't go then if I don't like it, thats a great way to support racing with the tracks that have been closing down.

Mike each and every night you make it a point at the start of the races to say who works for allied and what official does what job, which is awesome no other track I have been to does that. How about trying to make it a point to name some sponsors of the drivers. I tire and support places that support racing as I'm sure other people do to and not everyone can make it into the pits after the races to talk to the drivers.

As for time, last week the show was done by 10:30 and that was with a make up feature also, so I know it can be done. I know there are things that can't be helped but if you can do it one week you can do it every week. Tri-City takes 5 minutes to talk to every feature winner. It can be done. As far as I know there is no curfew at 55.

The Talker Guy is a GREAT announcer!! One of the best if not the best that i personally have ever heard.(JMO) If he didnt have such a great out going personality how many people would be on here bashing him for that?? I personally do not know Mike, but I do appreciate the amount of excitement he builds when he announces.
Keep up the outstanding work Talker Guy hope to hear you soon!

When the kids ask questions, Lie to them. That is what a good parent does. The Talker Guy is the best announcer in the area hands down. Keep up the good work.

Sorry if I offended anyone, that, of course, was not my intent.

Though I did mention the name of a business I did not describe or elaborate on what type of business it was or encourage anyone, especially small children, to patronize it.

In my opinion, there are much worse things said and seen on TV from 6 -10 PM every week night, but I also agree everyone has a right to thier own opinion. Points noted.

We'll try to get driver interviews in after the features but I can't make any promises it will happen on a regular basis. It seems we're always pressed for time at Pevely and
with a lot of drivers, crews, and fans traveling over an hour to get to the track we try to finish the show as soon as possible.

TTG/MM

Mike - you can say what you want, I would like to hear the car number and the drivers name for each line up and if you time mention some sponsors too. But when you start the line up with a number and name then go to just numbers or names it makes a little harder to follow. That is what I ask of you. You can talk about whoever and whatever you want the rest of night as you will.

When the kids ask questions, Lie to them. That is what a good parent does. The Talker Guy is the best announcer in the area hands down. Keep up the good work.

I don't think lying to your kid is a GOOD THING and I was not brought up that way. Maybe you lie to your kids but NOT all parents lie to their kids and I am not going to lie my nephews and niece when they ask me something, I would rather tell them the truth than to let someone else tell them! JMO

Back