Cash For Clunkers... Sad

unreal

Also, there are a lot of people, like myself, who it doesn't make sence for, to buy a new car. I don't put the miles on and also need a pick-up for work.
This will surely, artificially inflate the used car market. Not to mention all the good used parts being waisted.

I don't agree with it for many reasons, although I think I understand the theroy. The thing that really burns my azz is that the "foreign" cars are eligible as well. How does that "help" the car companies I own????

If the goal is to allow people to be able to trade in their older, inefficient vehicles in for new, fuel efficient cars, what sense would it be to allow the old cars to be resold?

Actually the Ford Focus is the #1 selling car for those participating in this program.

Where is the real waste?

While it may appear that all those "perfectly good cars" being destroyed is a waste, lets take a look at what removing them from the streets and highways is really accomplishing.

The most traded in "clunker" is the Ford Explorer. Lets assume that those Explorers are driven on average 15,000 miles/year and like most other "clunkers" get an average of around 15-17 mpg. The most popular traded for car was the Ford Focus which gets an average of 28 mpg. (granted, this is a worst to best case scenario)

For the month ending July 31 there were 157,000 rebates processed to date. Now lets do some math.

15,000 miles divided by 16mpg = 937 gallons
15,000 miles divided by 28mpg = 535 gallons

That equates to a gas savings of about 400 gallons per year multiplied by 157,000 clunkers that are now off the road. That equates to 62.8M gallons of gasoline that will not be used. Which further equates to 3.14Million Barrels of Light Sweet Crude that we will not import from the Saudi's. (based on a 20gal gasoline yield/barrel of crude)

So for all of you screaming at how stupid and wasteful this program is I ask, "Where is the waste?" For those screaming we need to be less dependent of foreign oil...There is 3.14M barrels for ya.

Same here, I would rather see 10 billion go to helping our country than 10 dollars going to help someone else's country.

kingeddy that was very well put, I think the biggest complaint however is what they are doing with the "clunkers". You can't tell me this is the best option for these cars. Why didn't they donate them to charity to be sold off to people who cannot afford a new car even w/ the $4500 discount.

I am glad they stopped this BS before it got even more out of hand. The terms say you must be able to drive the car to the lot... only to blow the motor... I G N O R A N T... WTF is this nation coming to. I am about ready to move to Mexico or Cuba and become a drug dealer. At least I wouldn't have to pay tax for retarded government officials to sit on their butts and watch youtube videos of OUR money being wasted... I have tons I can say on this, but I'd rather not be banned for vulgar language...

kingeddy that was very well put, I think the biggest complaint however is what they are doing with the "clunkers". You can't tell me this is the best option for these cars. Why didn't they donate them to charity to be sold off to people who cannot afford a new car even w/ the $4500 discount.

Why would you put a gas hog into the hands of someone who's wallet already cannot afford the gas it will require to operate it? That would just be dumb.

The whole purpose of this plan is to remove those gas hog cars from the streets. Which is in turn part of President Obama's plan for us to become less dependent on fossil fuels and turning our focus to renewable energy sources. Three of the top 5 sellers on the C for C trades have been hybrids.

Believe it or not, a presidents campaign promise that is actually being followed thru on.

I am glad they stopped this BS before it got even more out of hand. The terms say you must be able to drive the car to the lot... only to blow the motor... I G N O R A N T... WTF is this nation coming to. I am about ready to move to Mexico or Cuba and become a drug dealer. At least I wouldn't have to pay tax for retarded government officials to sit on their butts and watch youtube videos of OUR money being wasted... I have tons I can say on this, but I'd rather not be banned for vulgar language...

Newsflash for ya....this program isn't being stopped. Congress is expected to approve the additional $2Billion funding before they go to recess. And trust me, there are plenty of these types of cars sitting in junkyards already with plenty of running motors and available parts for sale.

kingeddy, that car in the video is not a gas hog. Gas hog compared to what, that 1985 Chevy truck that ****s it down at 9mpg. I understand the reasoning for this, just not all of it. There are perfectly acceptable cars, more efficient than what a lot of lower income people drive, being scrapped.

kingeddy, that car in the video is not a gas hog. Gas hog compared to what, that 1985 Chevy truck that ****s it down at 9mpg. I understand the reasoning for this, just not all of it. There are perfectly acceptable cars, more efficient than what a lot of lower income people drive, being scrapped.

2000 Volvo S80 is the car in the video. It is rated at 18mpg.

I think the best use for these cars would be to crush them and send the steel to China in exchange for relief against our defecit with them.

kingeddy,Which is a lot better mpg than a lot of vehicles low income people drive. I think what I am getting at is that there is no transition to the new era. Those who don't make a lot of money can't just go out and buy a new vehicle because the used market is empty. What do you drive? I have a 97 Mitsubishi Mirage-41mpg 04 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon-13mpg. I know all about the mpg thing.
I don't think there is enough cars in this country to get rid of that debt.

While it may appear that all those "perfectly good cars" being destroyed is a waste, lets take a look at what removing them from the streets and highways is really accomplishing.

The most traded in "clunker" is the Ford Explorer. Lets assume that those Explorers are driven on average 15,000 miles/year and like most other "clunkers" get an average of around 15-17 mpg. The most popular traded for car was the Ford Focus which gets an average of 28 mpg. (granted, this is a worst to best case scenario)

For the month ending July 31 there were 157,000 rebates processed to date. Now lets do some math.

15,000 miles divided by 16mpg = 937 gallons
15,000 miles divided by 28mpg = 535 gallons

That equates to a gas savings of about 400 gallons per year multiplied by 157,000 clunkers that are now off the road. That equates to 62.8M gallons of gasoline that will not be used. Which further equates to 3.14Million Barrels of Light Sweet Crude that we will not import from the Saudi's. (based on a 20gal gasoline yield/barrel of crude)

So for all of you screaming at how stupid and wasteful this program is I ask, "Where is the waste?" For those screaming we need to be less dependent of foreign oil...There is 3.14M barrels for ya.

If you support cutting back on oil usage why do you support racing?
How much oil and fuel are you needlesly consuming hauling your car to and from the track and in the race car itself. How are you going to get a truck to haul your rig when the mpg standards take affect?

Back