Granite City residents & Tri-City

Maybe Beelman will buy it and put in another infamous concrete plant. Seems to be the plan with all metro-east race tracks.

Im with these people..I bought a house next to Lambert airport and its really starting to pi$$ me off that all these planes are flying overhead...Im thinking about taking this matter to the city council..the track has been there for awhile get over it..

Probably coming from people who built their 300 hundred thousand dollar homes close to the track in the last 5 yrs. Isn't there a train track close by? Maybe next door! Don't they use the tracks 24-7?

Maybe the people that moved in next to the S--- plant in St Charles should complain about the stink and they will shut it down. I'm sure evryone in St Charles county would love to have to use outhouse's. We are all inconvinenced in some way but we deal with it, it's the American way. Maybe we should start a, "If I had it my way" post and see how many thing's we would all lose. If we were all able to get rid of 1 thing that annoyes us there probably would'nt be anything left.

Hey Jimmy, can you or someone clarify this deal. If the track is in Pontoon Beach how does Granite City have any jurisdiction over what happens there?

TTG/MM

Well...I don't normally post replys, as I tend to keep my thoughts to myself..however this issue is a hot button to me ....I happen to be a neighbor to the track (less that 1/4 mile), and our property is adjacent to the DonnaLynn Legacy Subdivision - We DO NOT live in Granite City, our property is part of the still "unincorporated area", which we have fought agreessively to remain in, an not to be "annexed" into Granite City. When this subdivision was put in by Granite City - (through what we personally believe as "shady" dealings) - we knew that eventually it would come to this....as with all new developments - it doesn't matter what businesses were there prior to the new subdivision going in, the residents seem to have the opinion, that there "ideas" for running the area are always "superior" to those who've been long standing residents.

Our family has lived in this area since the 50's, and will continue to live in the area, and fight for what we believe is best for that area...And believe me, putting this in this subdivision was not the best for anyone - in the process of putting in the subdivision they destroyed a nationally protected wetland (and we're not "tree huggers"), they removed a family cemetery, they destroyed an indian artifact area, and put in a "pond" that does not have the required linings for safety (and now the state has taken over ownership of the pond as the developer did not put the wetland back to its original state after completion of pond - this is TAX MONEY at it's best work - don't you think) - believe me, I watched this process take place over many months while the work was being done...And wouldn't you know Joe Juneau would be part of this issue assisting the city. (He's the same engineer that helped put this development in fo the city). The ILEPA, was called in on our side to keep the development out - but "granite city" as its own municipality can do whatever it wants (ask any of the people on the city council) and now Juneau wants them to review their side to keep the race track out(that's Priceless - for those of you who don't get it - that's sarcasm as its best).....

In my opinion, having dealt with GC on these type of issues, Pontoon Beach and the Gundakers will have to fight this one, because the only thing Granite City understands is "lawsuits"....otherwise they believe their above the law.

We appreciate the race track, and service it provides for our community, and the other businesses that benefit from it being here --- I'm sure the big issue here is that instead of Granite City getting the "tax revenue from the track" Pontoon Beach is getting it - and that would really push their buttons...

Again, this is JMO and everyone's entitled to one...

I said this before and I know it is crazy but with Fairmount Track under the gun to stay open what do you think the chances are for someone like the Gundakers and Schraders and Marlers to go in and buy that track and make it one big race track to fit the needs of all racing? Dirt / Kart / Drag and or so on? Just looking for somewhere with lots of land. Just a thought.

well if the iepa shows up in dec. jan feb the results will be favorable will be a while for them too come up with any kind of findings, since it so late in the year

Ya nice and quite now. but lets not give them any help. I don't get to go to the track too much but I vote for it to stay open and fight if need be.

This is my favorite part of the article:

"In other business matters, the City Council unanimously approved raised for the city clerk's, treasurer's and mayor's positions."

:confused: "Job well done folks. Government has stepped in to yet another corner of people's private lives to cause as much trouble as possible where people are just enjoying themselves and not truly bothering anyone. Have a pay raise."

In all seriousness, I have to deal with city- and county-government nonsense all the time in my job. Many of the municipalities in the St. Louis area make the IRS look like the Boy Scouts.

We have murderers, wife beaters, thieves and pedophiles running free, schools understaffed and underfunded, infrastructure falling apart, and these municipalities can't find anything better to do than install red-light cameras and harass a racetrack. Well done indeed. Have a pay raise.

Another fine example of the City council tying to CONTROL something that they have no rights to. Seems as though there are several issues that are of more concern that should be taken care of rather than trying to get rid of a business that brings revenue to the community(given the current state of our economy)
Im guessing that Granite City is just pissed off because Pontoon Beach actually has control and gains the revenue from the race track.

As for the residents that are complaining about the hours and dirt, maybe they should have considered that before they bought homes in the area, as the track has been there for many years.

In regards to the City Council turning the issue over to IEPA well thats a joke given the fact that Im sure they didnt want them anywhere around when the city was working on the Donna Lynn subdivision because there are several skeletons in that closet.

JMO

It kind of looks like Granite can't do anything about it directly, so they are going to the IEPA to see if they will.

Well good luck to the Gundeakers. It would be devastating to lose another track in our area. Snooty people moving in and acting like no one else matters but them! If more stipulations put on them , we all know they will be hard to comply with without a total revamp of Kevins program. What classes to cut? What programs to bring to town as in BIG shows? All of this is devastating to the bottom line. Cause we all know the large car counts would have to stop. No way could the racing program be over by the 11 o'clock curfew, as it now stands.
The Mayor of Granite is a tough one. He is a former Madison County Board member. Being cut from the Democratic Machine that runs this county. Good luck Kevin and Tammy your gonna need it. Maybe these area tracks are gonna have to start their own petions just to show the City Mayors just how much these track are bringing people from outside of their cities, and counties. In the past, I have done many a parts run from the track, by driving into Granite to get something at an auto parts store to fix the race car!
Not to long ago someone ran into the Mayor of Godfrey and ask how things are going since the race track is gone. He admitted it DID hurt his businesses tax base, in the long run! I think I posted that, it would ! I still will not go to Godfrey to buy anything. Edwardsville has a Market basket if I need something! Their "Beelman" golden egg fizzeled now they are waiting on Walmart to boost them up!

Godfrey's waiting for Wal-Mart to rescue their tax base? OMG, talk about jumping out of the frying pan and straight into the fire. Wal-Mart is notorious for DESTROYING small towns. They get TIF's and all kinds of tax breaks, and build inside the city. They open, business booms, small stores in town suffer and close. Then, when the tax breaks are due to run out, Wal-Mart builds a new store JUST outside the city limits, and closes the one INSIDE the city. They keep the city business, but do not have to pay the city sales tax. And people are FORCED to go to Wal-Mart, because they have driven out the smaller Mom-n-Pop stores. I use Wal-Mart only when I absolutely have to. They are the most cut-throat, ruthless companies out there. Their anti-union stance is so extreme, it's been compared to neo-nazi groups.

As for the Tri-City problem, the fans need to set up an electronic petition push. You would have to register your name and address. Submit that to Granite City, and tell them to shove off and mind their own business.

Oh!!! Not a surpise!! Has anyone else taken note of all the apts. and houses starting to surround I-55 in the last 7 years or so? First the houses up on the hill as seen coming from the south, now the apts across the interstate...Oh how long will it be.. before Kenny has to comment on a pre, or post race show about the uproar people are making?? I hope he has the sense, and political incorrectness, to tell it like it is. As a redneck from the hills, I wonder how we have become as cowardly as we have as a society. I still tell people to kiss my ***** to this day if necessary. As stupid as people are anymore, I'd love to do it more often! Has anyone else noticed that people arent as smart as they used to be?:rolleyes: Seems like Debbie Cummins said something to that affect not so long ago..We can sit with duct tape over our mouths n whimper, or we can tear it off and shout loud enough that they'd rather hear racecars!! If someone is making it rough on you, make it twice as rough on them..

Not to long ago someone ran into the Mayor of Godfrey and ask how things are going since the race track is gone. He admitted it DID hurt his businesses tax base, in the long run! I think I posted that, it would ! I still will not go to Godfrey to buy anything. Edwardsville has a Market basket if I need something! Their "Beelman" golden egg fizzeled now they are waiting on Walmart to boost them up!

How did their "Beelman" golden egg fizzle. There is concrete being hauled out of there everyday by union drivers getting paid union wages that are a lot higher than any jobs that were lost. There is also sales tax on every yard of concrete that comes out of there.

The sour grapes you still have nothing to do with the new owner, the property was for sale for a long time and someone came through to buy it.

I hated to see that track go as much as anybody but I don't blame Beelman. That would be like saying the old abandoned Clark station down your street can't be sold to Quik Trip because it was always a Clark station. With the location of Godfrey Speedway I am surprised Q.T. didn't buy it. Then you could ******* all their stations.

As for as the noise they should have expected that before they moved next to the track.

But on another note I wonder if running multiple nights during the week especially after school starts has anything to do with the increase in complaints. Tri-City. Pevely, & Belleville have had extra nights other than their reg. night this fall.

Ive never seen much going on there but I have seen the trucks don't have the Beelman name on the sides. CRI, or something like that. So on the Tri City thing, where can we find an electronic petition?

Back