MCS Is Being Sued as "PUBLIC NUISANCE"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qtrmileracer

It was announced at last nights drivers meeting that the speedway is being sued. The petition states that the track is a public nuisance.Mel is going to fight it,but help is needed.I am not quite sure who to contact to voice our displeasure,but here are some contacts.
City of New Florence Mayors Office:217 Main,Box 70 New Florence, MO 63363.Phone (573) 835-2106
Montgomery County Commission:211 E 3rd,Montgomery City,MO.63361
(573) 564-8091

If this law suit prevails,it is a good chance the track will be closed.
We can't let this happen.

Nimby's S***

That is some serious stuff. When the tracks adhere to all the rules and regulations set forth on them by local GOVT.then the public nuisance card is played. Will need a lot of signatures to counter act that from nearby residents. Hope there are friendly board members somewhere.

For those that have never been to MCS before,it sits basically in the middle of nowhere,except for some local businesses at the intersection of I-70 and Hwy.19.There are no homes within close proximity to the track.I guess the big question is WHO brought the suit (wasn't disclosed at the meeting,other than rumors) and WHAT the real reason is. I was told that the businesses don't like the noise and dust,but they're nearly a mile from the track,so I don't think that is the issue.

Rumor has it (and we all know how rumors go), and of course Mel could not would not disclose, BUT.... the rumor is the land between the track and the Highway 70 is the cause. It is on the market for development. I guess we could dig a little deeper and see who has this land on the market and if they are the driving force behind this. Not having a track of your choice to go to Saturday night is a public nuisance! We can not let another track go down to a small group of special interest people. The racing community is a special interest group too, and a much larger one. Speak up racers and fans let's help Mel save this track.

Just tell us where to be and what to sign and a lot of people will be there! Had never heard of New Florence before Mel built a track, that little town gets some of my money every week for the past 4 years. I am sure they have improved Saturday sales tremendously BECAUSE of the tracK!

If the businesses in the area are truly complaining then we should not be stopping for fuel/dinner/snacks or coffee for the trip home after the races every weekend. I would like to know which businesses do not want my money. I can easily drive to the next town east.

IRACE75 said:
If the businesses in the area are truly complaining then we should not be stopping for fuel/dinner/snacks or coffee for the trip home after the races every weekend. I would like to know which businesses do not want my money. I can easily drive to the next town east.

Just the opposite. The economic impact of not supporting the local businesses would just help the opposition when it comes time to build a case. It needs to be made very obvious how much positive monetary impact race night has on these businesses.

i can't see patronizing a business that won't support something i like.i can definitely see race75's point. i can kinda see doug's, too, but it would be tempting to walk into the particular business that wants to see the racetrack gone and say something like.... tank of gas;$45. meal for myself and crew:$50. 12 pak of bud and ice for the cooler;$20. that's what i would have spent here, but i went elsewhere. thank you, and walk out. if enough people do that sort of thing, these people might think twice. art.

Mcs

Not only is Mel going to need all the legal help he can get he is also going to need money to pay the lawyers to fight this lawsuit. We can all help out by bringing more people to the track, visiting the consession stands and souvenier booth.

Sounds like the racing community has a big problem. This track is in one of THE BEST locations as far as not having any residents to "offend", yet some a-hole with money has decided to try and get rid of it. Send letters to the county and the city at the addresses in the first post - and support our sport!
Keep in mind your letters need to be tactful - and supportive of the track and it's benefits to the area businesses. Also might be a good idea to mention that the track was there FIRST. I would guess - and this is only a guess - that whoever owns the land to the north wants to sell to or build a motel on the property. I say - too bad, so sad, should of done it before the track was built! Maybe he could unload it at a discount price instead of spending money on a lawsuit??????:mad:

RaceGoddess said:
i can't see patronizing a business that won't support something i like.i can definitely see race75's point. i can kinda see doug's, too, but it would be tempting to walk into the particular business that wants to see the racetrack gone and say something like.... tank of gas;$45. meal for myself and crew:$50. 12 pak of bud and ice for the cooler;$20. that's what i would have spent here, but i went elsewhere. thank you, and walk out. if enough people do that sort of thing, these people might think twice. art.

Good point - but keep in mind that we DON'T KNOW who filed this suit - so until we find out, we need to keep patronizing the local businesses like always to prove how much the race fans help the business income......

I pulled thru a local eating establishment (the golden arches) after the races last night with my car in tow. The manager actually was suprised, he asked if we were racing tonight, because he could not even here the cars at the track. He said usually he can here the cars, but didn't here anything last night. We can't let this track close, I'm sure everyone with the exception of the petitioner (s) feels the same way.

Art and 75 are exactly right! Actually deprive those businesses of what they don't evidently realize the track is bringing in and they'll change their tune. Plus, it needs to be obvious that different choices are being made. When you go somewhere else to purchase gas, food or whatever, let that merchant know the reason you're doing so is because of the ignorance of merchants just down the road.

One thing you need to know though, and I'm not going to name names here, but you really, really need to know the person(s) responsible for filing that lawsuit to begin with.

ModRacer_1S said:
I think most people probably know who the person (s) are, they just won't say...................
And if that person (s) is who the rumor has it to be,it might be a REAL shock to the racing community!:eek:

I guess I'm in the dark. Now I'm curious about who it is rumored to be. I'd sure like to know though so I can make sure that I don't spend any money with them.

camaroman said:
I guess I'm in the dark. Now I'm curious about who it is rumored to be. I'd sure like to know though so I can make sure that I don't spend any money with them.
I'm sure it is public record.I guess you could contact the Montgomery County Clerk of Court to find out.I was told a name,but as I said, I can't confirm it,so I can't say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back