Scott Wimmer gets DWI

RaceGoddess

AJR Racing
NASCAR driver Wimmer charged with DWI

Associated Press
February 3, 2004

HIGH POINT, N.C. -- NASCAR driver Scott Wimmer was charged with driving while impaired after crashing a pickup truck.

Wimmer had a blood alcohol level nearly twice the legal limit, High Point police spokesman Lt. Keith Washington said Monday. Wimmer's pickup hit a large rock, flipped over, then hit a road sign, the spokesman said.

Wimmer was also charged Saturday with hit and run after the pickup registered to the High Point-based Bill Davis Racing team was found overturned with three tires missing about a mile away from his home, Washington said.

When officers arrived at the scene, Wimmer wasn't there. He was found hiding behind a bed at his home, according to the police report.

Wimmer was released on a promise to appear in court. A hearing is scheduled for March 10.

Davis and his racing team issued a statement Sunday that NASCAR, Caterpillar, and others sponsors had been contacted about the accusations against Wimmer.

Davis would not comment until all the facts have been revealed, the statement said.

NASCAR is also gathering facts about the case, spokesman Jim Hunter said.

Wimmer moved up to NASCAR's top series last fall after three full seasons in the Busch Series, where he had five wins in three years.

This has to be one of the most inapropriat post I have seen on here lately. The DWI laws are screwed up, there inforcement is out if line with reality, and you have too much time on your hands if this is all you have to post about.

I was sure that you were above this, but maybe its hormons.

hey Dean, I think there was nothing wrong with the post. Why do you think the DWI laws are messed up?

I fail to see how it is inappropriate. It's not rumour, it's not from a questionable newsource. The only thing inappropriate about it is that Wimmer F'ed up and did something he shouldn't have and didn't have the cahones to stick around for the cops.

It doens't matter if you think the laws are screwed up or not. The laws still exist and he was in violation of them.

DWI Laws

Dear Dean - I would be especially interested to hear your views on why "The DWI laws are screwed up, there inforcement is out if line with reality." My father was killed by a drunk driver. The fellow who decided it was a good idea to drink a case of beer and then get behind the wheel of his pickup truck and drive eastbound in a westbound lane and kill my dad had had 4 PRIOR DWI's and had not had a single day of punishment. It is my opinion that the DWI LAWS AND THEIR ENFORCEMENT IS OUT OF LINE WITH REALITY too, but I suspect for a completely different reason than why you have that opinion. The laws and punishment are just not harsh enough!! Had the law been enforced and that man had been in jail where he belonged my father would be with us today and we would have been able to enjoy our lives together. Instead we lost him and have missed him terribly EVERY DAY since. He's not coming back, but the guy who killed him gets to live and enjoy HIS family and his LIFE!!!!! Out of jail. Out of trouble. Is that reality? Yes, dearest Dean, that IS reality and that ****S!!!!!

Sorry, I get very emotional about this subject.

Inappropriate ?????????????????????
Hell they oughta be tougher than they are...... Ain't nothing like getting a call from the cops at 2:00 am cuzz some drunk drove his car thru your front bay door pushing the car inside out the back wall(and of course no insurance) or trying to dodge the drunk coming at you late at night on the interstate on your way home from vacation(last summer) Or for that matter watching a lot of racers cosume 5 or 6 beers and then crawl in their haulers to head home ..............And read Dieharddirtfan's post very CAREFULLY, explains it all if you still don't understand..............

Dean have you got a DWI in the past? Have you ever been a victom of a DWI driver? Im sure if a drunk hit you pulling your racecar or if one hit any of your family,the whole world would here about it!!!!!

Originally posted by Dean
This has to be one of the most inapropriat post I have seen on here lately. The DWI laws are screwed up, there inforcement is out if line with reality, and you have too much time on your hands if this is all you have to post about.

I was sure that you were above this, but maybe its hormons.

A S S H O L E

End of message.

Dean I'm a fan of yours on and off the track, but I disagree with you on this issue. A buddy of mine lost his 11 year old child last summer in a head on collision, because the driver who hit the car his daughter was in was drunk. Now the worst thing about it other than the girl passed, the man who was drunk got 120 days shock and like 5-6 years probation, because the man had never been in trouble before. I say whopty flipping do dah, a little girl is dead, she didn't get to go on her first date, drive a car, have a family. WHO was robbed?? And Dean your trying to say the enforcement is out of touch with reality??? With respect Dean your out of touch with reality if you think the laws are to hard! Thanks Racegoddess for the article! And Dean i know you, if that was your friends daughter or someone you knew, your opinion would NOT be what it is today! Now lets get back some positives! Racing season is around the corner!!!!!!!!!!!

It make me wonder what these guys are thinking? It's not enough that he was drinking and driving but he left the scene of the accident, was driving a Bill Davis vehicle, and then hid behind a bed in his house when the police came looking for him! The only thing that may be inappropriate about this is if Bill Davis and the sponsors allow him to keep his job.

Dean, you have a lot of good input on topics on this forum and bring up several good points. But for the life of me I can't imagine why you would open yourself up to such critizism. When I first read your response my impression was that you might even condone Wimmer's actions as if he was the innocent bystander in the incident and the cops where just picking on him. I hope I'm wrong for your sake.

Please, for my sake, let us know what you meant? Cause I wouldn't want my kid cheering for a drunk driver or his local supporter who happens to be a racer as well.

I was alittle surprised at the immaturity Scott showed. As for boycotting the sponsors w/n happen here. I think he made the wrong choices that day. I also read where his wife is in trouble also.. Our race group is very lucky to have 2 DD drivers. Chris is ALWAYS hauled by Roc Roc ( aka: The Short Bus Driver ). And I if I have to many have Gus ( AKA HERO ) for putting up with me, DOES not drink and he drives me if he deems it is neccessary. I trust his judgement but boy does it S U C K having to get my ride the next day. ESP after a drunk bowling night! He leaves for work way earlier than I want to get up :rolleyes: And to really mean it to your kids when you say I will pick you up no problems and be true to your words. We have had that call before while in the pits after the races and I mean to tell you everyone shuffled to go get the boy ASAP cause he did call. And you know what he was praised for calling not beaten down for drinking. That was believe it or not a PROUD moment for us because he made that choice and called us for HELP. Hope he continues this tought process since he is just 20.

AS for Dean think about what you said. I don't think you meant it as you were saying: It just came across that way or I am hoping that is what happened.

LIKE I'VE SAID BEFORE, WHEN YOU CHOOSE A LIFE IN THE LIME LIGHT, YOUR ACTIONS ARE IN THE LIME LIGHT.......GOOD AND ESPECIALLY BAD!!!!!!

AS FOR SCOTT WIMMER??? HE IS HUMAN. HE MADE A VERY STUPID MISTAKE. I DON'T THINK HE SHOULD BE BANISHED FROM HIS PROFESSION. FROM THE SOUNDS OF IT HE WAS THE LOSER IN THIS. NOBODY WAS KILLED THANK GOD!!! HE WILL BE PUNISHED BY LAW LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. GOOD THING FOR HIM, IS HE PROBABLY HAS PLENTY OF MONEY TO MINIMIZE THE PUNISHMENT.

nc dwi laws

From what we understand the dwi laws in NC are pretty strict.

That is just what we have noticed since the two years we have been down here.

Christy (Bargetzi) & Jeremy Mollet

I don't think NC is any more strict than other states but the area we are in really cracks the whip on it because of the influx of people we see because of the racing community. Look at how bad it is after a race on 29 and Speedway Blvd. - Imagine if they weren't strict! My goodness, it would insanity! :) Apparently BDR is discussing the matter with their sponsors and will make an announcement in the near future concerning Scott. It is a shame but he isn't above the law - you have to face the consequences of your actions. Tough situation for all parties involved.

hey dumba ss

yeah,you dean. when you showed your complete ignorance about 2 weeks ago with the midget/sprint car comments,i just figured it was kind of a 'glitch' in your thought process. so,oh,well. But I see that you are not over being stupid,as your comments here on this post proves..It is evident you 'hit the sauce' again,as your post contains many mis-spelled words.normally,your posts do not contain mis-spelled words,so that is how i can tell. maybe you should sober up a bit before trying to type,and trying to think. once again,you stick your nose into a subject that is way over your head....but then again,maybe not;do you have first hand knowledge about being arrested for d.u.i.? maybe you should just stick to putting tubing together.you do ok at that;but apparently not much else. art.

yeah,i know,but there is nothing wrong with relaying a valid news story. if there was,channels 2,4,5,11,and 30 and many others wouldn't have the news.

He must have been doing something stupid to rip 3 wheels off a newer truck and roll it. Kind of sounds like something my friends would do unfortunately.

Back