Tony Stewart comments

dirtgoon

'89 S-10, 350 Smallblock
Anybody catch Stewarts pre and post race comments on Darrell Waltrip Sat. night? I like Tony alot but it was pretty classless to dis Waltrip on air. If he had a problem with the way Darrell called the races, he should of done it face to face. Not only did he bad mouth him before the race, but it was the first thing he talked about after the race. Stewart saying that Waltrip only raced his last two years because he had provisionals was cutting to the quick and Darrell did'nt look to happy about it. To Darrell's credit he did'nt fire back but you could tell he was hurt by the comment. Some times I wonder where Tony's head is. :mad:

To me, it was Darrell who started this mess with his own over the top comments the last few races. It appeared to me that he had an ax to grind with Tony and he was looking for a way to discredit him. So while I don't blame Tony for defending himself, still two wrongs don't make a right and maybe Tony took it too far.

Do you need to look for a reason to discredit him? Just look at all the bonehead moves he has made this year. Lots of cars torn up and every time he opens his mouth an avalanche of bulls*it and arrogance pours out. Instead of checking himself and trying to regain some measure of respect, he openly cheapshots a 3-time champ on live tv. I guess cheapshots are his specialty though.

The commentary team from the start has been rather biased towards a few drivers, Junior is given a lot of coverage, Schrader has been largely ignored. I dont think they did hardly anything with Kenseth last year, and he ended up the champion! I am not really sure how they are going about deciding whats news and what isnt, but it seems a lot of people are being either unneccesarily ridiculed, or simply left out altogether.

Darrell Waltrip throughout his racing career always said what he thought first before he thought about measuring his remarks in a tactful and diplomatic way. He also did his share of rubbing and bumping as many others have done, particularly the successful ones, but his reputation was always much more about his penchant to rattle his jaws.

Quite often networks hire color commentators who have colorful careers and a penchant to bring verbal color to the television audience. How I remember those days I watched Saturday afternoon baseball with Dizzy Dean talkin about " how that pitcher really slung the ball." He didn't have a classy way of saying what he said but you sure knew what he was talking about and it was colorful and "alive". Of course, the National Education Association thought it was a disgrace and Dizzy was pulled off the air. The point here is that Darrell and Dizzy are and were both good in general for their sports. For every opinionated anti-Waltrip fan there are just as many that find his genuine excitment and love for the sport entertaining. There is no doubt whether rightly or wrongly that Darrell feels he is defending the sport he loves so dearly. I am sure that if NASCAR or the network thought that he was "over the line" he, too, would be reprimanded.

Darrell Waltrip did not create all the incidents on the track that Tony Stewart has been involved in that, for the most part, were not just rubbing and bumping. Quite often they were blatant attempts at retaliation. Darrel was not the one called to the "oval office" or ordered to get anger management counseling. Tony Stewart is the one that has put Tony Stewart front and center under the microscope. Now Tony is struggling on the track and looking for a scapegoat in the form of Darrell Waltrip. Granted, Darrell has been very vocal about Tony but just remember that Darrell has the microphone and many of those drivers that are the victims of Tony's dangerous actions do not have the abilitiy to publically say what they think or feel about him.

The bottom line is that if Tony Stewart just goes out and races like he is supposed to it will all go away.

As for those years that Darrell used all those champion's provisionals, he is not the only driver that had a hard time leaving the limelight and the adrenelin rush. Remember how Dale Earnhardt cried at the thought that an injury would keep him from driving one week. Neil Bonnett would probably still be alive today if it was not for his desire to still fit in with the guys in the pits, feel the adoration of the fans and the adrenelin rush of running full out side by side.

Time will come when we will see if Tony Stewart will be as willing to go quietly into the sunset as he seems to think Darrell should have been.

I don't really care for Waltrips commentary[ I'd rather hear Benny Parsons or Buddy Baker], but Stewart needs to address Darrell's comments off camera. Sure Darrells got a big mouth, but that does'nt give Tony a license to rip on Darrell's career. That was bush league.

ghost67 said:
To me, it was Darrell who started this mess with his own over the top comments the last few races. It appeared to me that he had an ax to grind with Tony and he was looking for a way to discredit him. So while I don't blame Tony for defending himself, still two wrongs don't make a right and maybe Tony took it too far.

I agree with everything you said, but would like to add a couple of things. First, there isn't anything Stewart said that couldn't be backed up with facts to prove them. Secondly, the truth only hurts if it should. DW disrespected Stewart on air. Did he really think Tony wouldn't return the favor?

I still think and this is JMO that Stewart should get in trouble for all the things he does and says,, Yes DW was wrong saying that on air, but Tony has done more then just that, NASCAR needs to do something and do something soon. He is suppose to be a role model for children and I sure as He!! dont want my children looking up to him as a role model. BAN him or Kick him out of nascar..

Like I said it is JMO

Waltrip should have never opened his mouth in the first place. Whoever said NASCAR picks and chooses who they are going to pump up was totally correct. Saying that Tony should be banned for rough driving and his comments is not going to happen, because if they did, you would see about 15 cars banned for the same reason.

I dont watch much NASCAR anymore because it isnt what it used to be or what it was originally intended to be. Wasnt it originally a series where manufacturers developed a production car, made it safety compliant, and raced against the other manufacturers best??? The only thing ford chevy or dodge left in NASCAR are the stickers.

NASCAR is not the one's that should be do something about Tony's loose lips, Home Depot or Joe Gibbs should keep him in check. If you make the guys upstairs mad that are calling the races you may start loosing air time, you loose air time then your sponsor is not happy, if the sponsor is not happy then neither is your car owner

Plain and simple. Tony is an arrogant idiot with an italian temper. Grow up Tony and maybe you'll earn some of your fans back. But not me.

RacerRod

you guys should know by now,this is the beauty of a tell-it-like-it-is kinda guy. love it or hate it,that's what you get.the comments were a bit radical,but it sure beats the standard 'my car was good,we made some adjustments,and we were gettin' better,and it was a racin' deal. we'll get 'em next week' remarks after a crash,and interview.you gotta admit,it was entertaining!!

Aint it kinda funny that DW got the job cause he has a big mouth and an opinion and isnt afraid to say what he thinks, but when Stewart, another guy with a big mouth, an opinion, and an attitude to go with it busts DW back for his on air BS attack on Tony, then all these Stewart haters get all bent outta shape?

Dont start no shyt DW, there wont be none. Simple as that.

I Think Stewart Needs To Find A Way Out Of The Limelight. At Least The Negetive Light He Seems To Be In So Often. Home Depot Has Already Made Him Go To Anger Management, So I Would Have To Think They Aren't Liking This Crap. Joe Gibbs Can Have A Race Team Without Tony Stewart, But He Won't Without Sponsorship. I'm Sure Some Are Quick To Jump On T-stew These Days. But, His Reputation He Brought On Himself.

By the above logic the best race car driver there has ever been would've been kicked out of Indianapolis. What would the history of racing have looked like without A.J. Foyt? Stewart is one of a dying breed. He is one of the only real racers left in the so called big leagues. The rest of them get there for looks and marketability anymore. That is that its a farse. Let the racers race and let the advertisers sell things from it. The fact that Stewart was more excited after winning the Chilli Bowl than he was about the Winston Cup championship really tells you something.

If Its More Fun For Him,there Is Nothing Stopping Him From Returning To The Midgets/sprints Full Time. Except The $$$contract$$$ He Has To Drive In Nascar. If He Wants To Make The Big Bucks In Racing, He Has To Go By The Guide Lines For Whats Deemed Appropriate, And Avoid Whats Not.

Its Not Like The Early 80's When One Or Two Races A Year Were Televised. It Is Stock Car Racing On The Grandest Stage. It Is Big Money And Its On T.v.'s Across The World. Stewart Will Conform Eventually, Or It Will Only Cost Him.

Other Sports Have Codes Of Conduct, Racing Is No Exception. With The Popularity Of Nascar They Will Toooo!

It's all right for hockey pros to beat the crap out of each other, encouraged, even admired. But let Tony Stewart let go of a few less than politically correct corporate approved comments and oh my goodness, what on earth are we gonna do to tame this wild man and bring him to heel.

Back