Very disappointed in Poplar Bluff Speedway

mh2racing

I went to opening night of the poplar bluff speedway, and i was not very impressed at all. The track part of it was great but everything else about the place, in my opinion ****ed! First off they ran trophy dashes before heat races, the way you made the trophy dash was if you drew one of the top for pills in your pill draw, and you got payed for it, waht crap is that, i have never heard of having the trophy dash before the heat races. Second off wehn a car spins it takes them two laps to throw a caution, in the feature a mod almost got rammed, cause he was sitting there waiiting for a caution coming out of turn 4 and weber nearly clipped him as he went by and so did every other car, it was totally stupid they never even threw a caution. Also they have way to many classes running they have i think 6 classes that is way to many. But i am just telling you my opinion others may think different. They did have a great turn out in mods, they had 30 something mods there i do beleive, scott weber, robert powers, steve rushin, brent thompson, billy "the kid" smith and many others, Kreke was flying in the late models, didn't stay for the late models to many other darn classes caused it to ruin the night kinda in my opinion, left when teh mod feature was almost over, scott weber was in command of it, and prolly went on to win, making him 3 for 3 this year in feature races.

Were the cars that were there good quality race cars for the most part or were they junk? I'd hate to make a special trip to be dissapointed.

race back to the yellow!

Just a little report... The racing surface was awesome -- track was baby smooth all night. No big holes formed like a lot of tracks around here. They did a good job of keeping the show moving along, whereas a lot of other tracks drag things out. The facilities get a good grade from me.

Now the unexpected: My jaw dropped to the floor when they announced "race back to the yellow" in the driver's meeting. In my opinion, this is totally unsafe, and you saw that in the modifieds. They also said you could use your bumper within reason to move on by someone. While this helped to keep the show moving along, I'd rather see them err on the safe side with the rules.

16 LMs. Some good. Some not. A couple 3 or 4 of these guys run the MARS series. Mack, Rushin, Looney

Regarding the track- Excellent racing surface. Very smooth!!Excellent pay. $1200 to win for LMs and $600 for mods. We raced back to the the line on yellows and yellow flags didnt happen unless the car was in the middle of the track. Didnt like that- too dangerous. Double file restarts in heats and features.

Great facility. Considering this was the very first night of operation we give them a 9 out of 10.

will you go back?

Hey Kreke13, will you guys be going back to Poplar Bluff often this year? What about I-55? :confused:

The track sounds great! But the program sounds like it will need a little tweaking.

I don't know about you guys, but it sounds like they have an agenda trying to change the dirt racing scene for their own ideas. I hope their agenda also includes making some money and drawing a good count weekly. If not they may be in trouble. Racing back to the yellow sounds very dangerous to me. And what in the world is this pill draw for the trophy dash? I knew that Poplar Bluff was in the country, but I thought it was still in the United States!

Sounds like somebody has raised the bar as far as the late models go.

Way to go Kreke Crew!! I sure will miss seeing you as much this year. Al, keep that boy lined out and away from Chim Chim as much as possible.... LOL..

Keep up the good work, I'll be cheering for you guys.....

Millsey

The trophy dash was by pill draw only because this was the first week. Next week the top feature finishers will run in the dash.

Also, we didnt get paid for the dash as was mentioned in the first post. Trophies only.

Al Kreke

racin' back to yellow

From what I'm hearing so far about the "racing back to the yellow issue", the folks that operate the track will find out quick that they better change this rule or their car counts will likely decline rapidly. No one wants to race at a place where the rules don't protect the drivers and their equipment. This is "NOT" a good rule for dirt track racing at any race track! Just my opinion. What is everyone else's opinion? :mad:

FOLKS, remember this is a BRAND NEW TRACK!!! Don't go crazy about some of the small things.. Keith is just getting his feet wet (no pun intended there) and there are a million different things he's working on. He's going to try some different things and if they work he'll keep them and if they don't he won't. He's got a suggestion box and he's very open minded.. He's a racer so he understands.

yes as a lot of people i went to the opening of the Poplar Bluff Speedway and the track is an awsome 3/8 mile clay track. Like some people said before it was nice and smooth all night long..and it didn't get to dry slick. But i agree with there being too many classes...first i wouldn't have let the 4cly cars run only because there was only two of them..maybe a heat but not no stinking feature..the people i sat by were in discusted at this. Also they talk about the turn out of all the cars..well i can count 7 mods that will NOT be racing there all the time as it is a too far drive, also they will be racing up here. And in one of the Mod heat races (can't remember the number) John Bohn was leading and it was gonna be a close race between he and the number 2 car (can't remember that guy either) but the Flag man thinks his should throw the Blue/Yellow flag when the 1st and 2nd place guy are passing the lapper on BOTH SIDES...i mean where is the lapper going to go? i think that was a dumb call to make. (my oppion) Also like mintion before the B3 (hope he doesn't care that i told it was he) did spin in the Feature in Turn Four and almost get taken out because they wait way too long to throw the yellow...i was shocked they threw the yellow so quickly when the 75 pure/pro street car hit the wall on the front straight. But it was just the first night...they just need to iron out some kinks....BIG KINKS.JB

In a earlier post kreke said that they are gonna run the trophy dash after the feature races, or did you mean the heat races? Cuase i never have heard of a trophy dash after the feature races. Yes the track was awesome a little to dry slick and dusty. I don't like the idea of putting them hay bails around the bottom of the corners cause when a car hits them it goes on to the track, and then sprays all into the crowd. Yeh that b3 car was lucky weber didn't take his nose off when the b3 car was sitting there waiting for hte yellow. Also mpt saying nothing bad about this guy running the track, but if he is a dang fellow racer would he be wanting to se halfway in the middle of the track with a huge pack of mods flying by you about to take your damn car out? Thats just nuts, and plus that race back to the yellow? that b3 car was sitting there for 2 laps before he called the yellow. In my opinion they are gonna have to change alot or there car count is gonna go down big time. Also 20 lap features for everybody, i thought that was kinda dumb. Just to long for some of them cars to be running. The mods should get 20, late models 25, adn the rest should get 15, i think the 4 cylinders should run 10 laps. Or maybe 5 if they are gonna have a low car count.

mh2, I meant that this weeks top feature finishers will race in the dash NEXT WEEK. Same order as this week-before the heat races. i agree with you. Doesnt make much sense to run races that dont mean anything.

But new track. lets give them a chance to iron things out.

RACING BACK TO CAUTION? THATS CRAZY!

DASH DETERMINED BY PILL DRAW? NEVER HEARD OF THAT BEFORE.

DASH BEFORE HEAT RACES? DON'T THEY DO THAT DURING SOME BIG SHOWS? BUT, THEY QUALIFY WHEN THEY DO THAT. SOMETHING LIKE TOP 9 QUALIFIERS GO TO DASH, RUN DASH TOP SIX TO FEATURE THE OTHER 3 GO TO HEAT RACES!

SOUNDS LIKE THEY HAVE POTENTIAL, JUST NEEDS TWEAKING!

awesome track! you would have to look hard to find a nicer facility.some of the rules need tweaked, racing back to the cation is just to dangerous. but overall a nice place that was filled to capacity. the place looks like it will be a success.

Yes i do agree the facility is awesome, the track is great. Alls i was saying is that there are to many classes, to have 6 classes of cars is way to many, and especially to run 20 lap features for all of them. I agree give this track some time and it could be awesome with just some tweaking, But until that time they are gonna lose on there car count big time i do beleive. Cuase they run some of them same classes at benton which is gonna take away from there car count also. JMO

They will not change racing to the caution it speeds the race night up and it makes it alot easier for the scorers.

Back