Fastrak Crate Late Models Practice Results

racer20

Hey folks. Open practice today at Toccoa Speedway, Toccoa GA. Track was tacky in the beginning but got hard pretty quick. 3/8 mile, high bank.

Super Late Models: 13.54
Crate Late Models: 13.59

We also tested the 300 Goodyears today and the test went very well. Tires were great when the track was tacky buy they never went away when the track got hard and it barely feathered the tire. 2004 Ponts Champion Todd Higdon did the test and he said he really could not believe how the tire held up.

It was pretty amazing to see the crate engines mixed in with the Supers and steel heads. Not only did they not pass the crate engines, they never got beside them to pass. Oh, the Supers were on open tires crates were on spec tires. HMMMMM!!

Those are numbers some people don't want to see or read about. Besides, those aren't real late models anyway.... LMAO!

Sounds interesting, hope somebody has the b***s to run one against the real Lates so we can see first hand. Its a hell of a concept, if you could spend $5000 on a motor instead of $25000.

this all goes back to the concept i was talking about on here about a year ago,with minimal horsepower and a good setup,you can win against the big motors!!there is no need to spend 25000 on an engine..

Watch what you say, we'll see about that in a few more weeks. Its a good concept though. Ask Dean if he thinks that is the case, he had a stompin' 23 degree 434 and said he was only competitive on the dry at Pevely. I hope your right though, because that would mean I have 4 very capable late model motors.

on a dry track it dont take alot to run with the big motors at all.now when the track is heavy that is a different story,if your on your toes early in the night you will be fine by the time the track dries out.....i wont bs anyone we got a very strong motor this year for our car..its built for all steel stuff and i wouldnt be a bit scared to run with the aluminum motors...i watched dean smoke big motors on many occasions

CC-28, my 23 degree 434 was never good on the slick, a 4" stroke engine will never work well on a slick track, especially a short track. It takes that much cubic inch to get a 23deg engine to run with the new stuff on a heavy track, and then you are screwed with that monster stroke on the slick. We really need to have an engine with enough guts to run well on the heavy, and enough driveablilty to run well on the slick. Most guys have one or the other, we are hoping that the engine we have in progress will do both.

We'll see, I hope. The time for talk and theories stops in 2 and a half weeks. I will be there with the best equipment I've ever had by far. Good luck to Dean and the Potter Posse.

I Hear Ya Corey And You Hit That One Right On The Head,we As Well Have The Best Equiptment We Have Had For A Long Time This Season,you Left One Out,good Luck To You This Season Corey,you Need Anything Give Us A Shout!!!!!!!!!!!

To Touch Base On What Dean Said,from What We Have Experienced Of The Twenty Motors We Did Last Season Is That A Big Bore And Short Stroke Is What Works The Best,a Long Stroke Big Bore Does Like Dean Said,kills You On The Heavy Track,we Went With A Little Longer Stroke Then We Wanted,but Hopefully Made It Up In The "other" Ares We Were Playing With...i Think Dean Will Agree That Getting A Good Amount Of Power Down To Go Somewhere Is The Main Area

I'll make a quick comment about Crates. It's just one excuse for promotors to lower the purse. I'm all for crates and limited motors but I've seen it before, and its all about the payout to the drivers. I ran many shows in Kansas and Colorado in the 90's and most of the cars were 200-300+hp more than me, so I know horsepower is not what makes a car fast, it's momentum. I guarantee any good latemodel driver can go nearly as fast with 400hp as with 800hp. but with crates or limiteds the promotor will cut the payout. These fastTrack guys are saying its not going to replace Supers, but I tell you promotors have all intentions of replacing Supers with crates I've already been Questioned by one promotor already considering it. The only way I can support it is if it replaces one of the Modified divisions. Modifieds are based off a stock stub. Good Stock stubbs are becoming extinct, full fabricated cars are the future. But dont limit the headline divisions It will end up like most Asphalt facilities around the country, low on cars and fans that come every week. Some of the Tracks around here may be a little short on latemodel car count, but that could change if more people realised you could compete with less motor now!!! These numbers you Quote are proof. Forget the crates! drop your mod motor in a latemodel and go racin'. I bet most of you mod guys put out more power than these crates and you will be supporting the local engine builders rather than the corporate GeneralMotors who is out to ruin the little guy, ask the guy building your motor now or at least doing your machine work. It's gonna put him out of business. Latemodels are not the only class on the palate for these guys they want the Mods too!!! Dont support them!!! Stay away when they Come to your track!!! I want a weekly show to run my super Latemodel. If these replace the supers then I'll have to travel, which is what most of us dream of doing anyway I guess. The next few years are gonna be interesting, I just hope we all enjoy it.

Sorry I may have been all over the place with the last post. I just hope everyone understands where this crate thing could lead us. The Queation is where?

I agree completly with westling racing, and I researched the crate model deal very thoughourly. Nobody is arguing the point of how fast a car is when the track is black as tar, we all know that power is less importatnt at those times

Lets be very open and honest here, they want us to purchase an engine from them at a reasonable price for a piece of junk, Then they want us to pay a very inflated amount to rebuild these so called race engines. Next they want to claim that they pay $100.00 to start the A, when they charge a $65.00 entry fee. That makes $35.00 to start the A, if you break, screw you.

So go ahead and stick another $15 to $25 thousand in your engines and be happy. I'm sure you'll make that back.... LOL.. Don't you guys realize this is the wave of the future. Not just in late models, but in several classes and forms of racing. Believe me, the same thing WILL OCCUR in the modified class next. So you might as well get use to the idea. Why is it so great to have somebody always "out-dollar" you? I guess if you are one of those persons with an unlimited budget or don't have to pay for what you drive not having a crate model class is fine. But guess what folks, most people aren't set up that way.

By the way, another reason why you're seeing this type of change is because the promoters CAN'T AFFORD IT ANYMORE. It's easy to sit back and yell and scream because some promoter is not paying you $1,000 to $1,500 to win and at least $100 just to start when you are the one not paying it out. I've already watched three tracks in THIS LAST YEAR have to either close or completely SELL OUT because of the money situation and 90-percent of that was because of payout. You are always going to have your top of the line, high dollar late models and others. But unless something like what Fastrak is doing is done, you're not going to be seeing late models at all the tracks you are use to in the past. Just ask any promoter, especially the guys with the smaller tracks who can't put 2,000 people in the stands.

i agree with westling racing totally,and im not a big fan of the crate models either..you pay what $8000 for a 450hp engine..i will not lie,we have $5500 in our limited late model engine this season and it is producing 650hp on alky with wet sump and no roller cam and all steel,and i can run this motor all year and most of next year..to me that is a hole lot better then the crate motors..not to mention in this crate class can i build my own engine as i do now??i dont think so..dont get me wrong i do not agree with the way super late models are going as westling and dean both run,too much money for the cars and the motors,but the answer isnt crate models..i would rather everyone go to the limited rules that we run at our track..i know there will always be the guy who puts alot of money into his setup,but with a limited late model rule setting he will be cutting his own throat..

westlingracing said:
Sorry I may have been all over the place with the last post. I just hope everyone understands where this crate thing could lead us. The Queation is where?

Well, where do I start? We offer a competitive Late Model class without breaking the bank. What other LM class can you go race with knowing that you have the same engine & tires as the guy next to you? Yes I know you can build an engine on a budget & go race anywhere you want but what are your chances at a UMP show against the "Big Boys"? NOT VERY GOOD! With the Fastrak Champions Series, everyone has an equal shot! This class may not be designed for everyone, but can you tell me one thing in this world that is designed for everyone????
We are making it more affordable for teams to participate in Late Model Racing. We have a wide veriety of drivers that are going to participate in the Fastrak Champions Series Midwest Region. We have drivers that have never driven a LM and now they can afford to. We have some that got out of LM racing because they could'nt afford it & now they can. Last but not least, we have guys that raced Steel Blocks and even some of the local UMP guys will be racing with us.
More cars coming in the back gate equals more fans coming in the front gate. Our local tracks can not afford to pay the Super Late Model purse when the car counts are as low as they are. Bottom Line!!

Someone mentioned that promoters will lower the purse when we start running Crate's. Why would a promoter lower the purse when he has double the cars???? If one promoter lowered the purse then the next one would really benefit, would'nt he?? I think so!

Look guys & gals, this is common sense! If you have any questions feel free to call me.

Fastrak Champions Series Midwest Region
Sean Franklin
Regional Director
Office# 618-998-1775
Cell# 618-889-5515

Got Skill? www.fastrakracing.com

Back