UMP Modified National Champion Argument...

big swigg

A friend and I always have this argument about Devin Gilpin
And then the rest of the guys running for national championships in the modified class..I'm not starting this post to bash Gilpin it's more to applaud the mod guys in this area.. For example week in and week out Harrison is battling guys like Long, Mevert, Kinder, Griffaw, Mullins, Nicely etc..... That's tough competition and those are the guys you usually see at the big shows.. Im not slamming the guys that Gilpin run against, but I don't see much of a comparison in it.. Very rarely you see Gilpin at any of the big money shows in this area and when I say this area I'm talking from Haubstadt to ky lake to Fairbury to tri city.. As a rule if there's money to be had most of these guys I mentioned are there that Harrison races against.. The competition around this area is so much greater than what Gilpin runs against... Gilpin has been to mod mania a couple times and he never does well here... Why?? Is it because of the competition?? I just feel Harrison deals with a lot more competition than Gilpin... Please post if you have an opinion...

I saw on mike's website that he has 7 wins in 11 starts this year and 2 are DNFs. Thats a lot better start than he had last year and he almost pulled the title off last year

Guess we could all take up a collection for diesel fuel for mike to go race him an there would be no question lol but I bet the result would be 50/50 there both good

How many different track's has Harrison won at this year? Gilpin has won at Brownstown, Bloomington, Moler and Eldora that I know of.

They are both great drivers.I think if they both run the same amount of races, Harrison will out point him with out a problem.Would be great to see Dean Hoffman , Rusty G and a few others from around here be able to run as many nights as Gilpin does.Gilpin is great, but i think if they both get in the same amount of nites, Harrison would top him.

I've watched both of them race repeatedly... My argument is the competition that Gilpin faces is not even close to the competition that Harrison races... If you would take the total of wins that Harrison's competition has and then the wins of Gilpins competition it's not even close I would bet.. Another argument is look at when our local guys go to Eldora... They usually do pretty well...
Gilpin comes around here he don't run very well.. Why is that?? We are in the middle of some great modified action right here in our own back yard... I truly feel the July 24 &25 date at route 45 in Flora that's paying $5021 each night will draw a bunch of our area guys and the Indiana guys like Gilpin.. I understand the travel time and expenses for these guys.. It makes more sense to stay closer to home sometimes..

I've watched both of them race repeatedly... My argument is the competition that Gilpin faces is not even close to the competition that Harrison races... If you would take the total of wins that Harrison's competition has and then the wins of Gilpins competition it's not even close I would bet.. Another argument is look at when our local guys go to Eldora... They usually do pretty well...
Gilpin comes around here he don't run very well.. Why is that?? We are in the middle of some great modified action right here in our own back yard... I truly feel the July 24 &25 date at route 45 in Flora that's paying $5021 each night will draw a bunch of our area guys and the Indiana guys like Gilpin.. I understand the travel time and expenses for these guys.. It makes more sense to stay closer to home sometimes..

Why were those dates scheduled on top of the prairie dirt classic at fairbury? The summit modified nationals also ends those two days at fairbury. Guys like you mentioned now have to decide between the two.

I will tell you this.. Summit national total point purse pays $5000 for 1st place and like $2500 for 2nd and maybe $1500 for 3rd... I look at that as a no brainer.. You're going to be able to win that amount in 1 night at route 45.. If the details I've heard is right a guy could win as much as $16,000 in 2 nights of he was to win both nights be fast qualifier and lead every lap... That's a crap load of money... The dates are the days of his funeral this past year in 2014. Much more money up for grabs at route 45 for the Big Tim Lewis memorial.. No comparison actually.. The only guys that might be effected are the ones that have a chance to win the point race.. That won't be but a couple at most..

Last edited:
Last year the 1st annual memorial race there was around 40 cars there and it didn't pay what this year is going to pay... You will get your max ump points at this show..

Back